ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Starting/Immobiliser Fault

Elise, Trophy #31
Evening all,

I'm finding an intermittent fault with my Clio Trophy 182....

- unlock, all normal.
- key in ignition, to position before cranking, instrument warning lights all come on normally....
- all warning lights go out EXCEPT the Immobiliser light, which keeps flashing.
- turn key to crank engine, and nothing happens at all.

Isn't all the time, but left me stranded tonight. Had both keys with me, neither made a difference. Walked home, then went back, and after a few tries, it started normally.

does something in the ignition barrel "read" the key?

Cheers,
Mark F

Elise, Trophy #31
Hmmm......

Is that a likely culprit to be failing?
Is the key itself passive, or could the battery in the key be running low, and failing to send the car the relevent signal? (long shot really, it being the key, as it unlocks fine).

Cheers,
Mark F

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sounds UCH related to me this does. Firstly you will need to confirm the wiring link between the pickup in the ignition barrel and the UCH followed by the power and earth to the ring.

It is also possible the ring is faulty to but in my experience, genuine faults here are rare amd its normally age in the UCH that's the issue.

Elise, Trophy #31
Okay, UCH.... A control module in the passenger footwell area??

Does this also control the rear wiper? I think this stayed stuck on on the drive to work this morning.....

So far, having only a 20% successful journey conpletion rate, the little Clio and I aren't getting on well!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yes, the UCH performs and controls all body and security functions on the X65 including wipers, lights, locking and starting.

Elise, Trophy #31
Ah, that's interesting then! Sounds like a prime culprit. Assuming the car starts, and I set off on the journey home, I'll play with the wipers and things to see if I can provoke it into having another moment.

Thanks for your help! :D

Elise, Trophy #31
Hi all,
Been monitoring the non starting, and it seems to have been cured for the moment(though too early to get too excited)! Was an expensive fix... two squirts of WD40!

Below is the little note I was keeping to track the fault. Have added it for anyone looking at the thread in the future.

Clio fault
Thurs eve: Stop, lock, 3 beeps. Unlock, constant red light.

Cured Thurs eve??: unlocked, wouldn't start. then tried "30 second methd", key to position 2, 30sec, key off (key still in) 30sec, key on, all lights normal, cranked fine.

Fri morn: unlock, key in, lights out, would have started, locked without beeping.

Mon: start, ran, key off, lock. Come back, unlock, key in, fast flashing immob light, nothing. Key off. Key on, flashing. Key out. Key in, pos2 30 sec, off 30 sec, fast flashing immob light, won't start..... so 30sec method seems to have been coincidence!

Left it 10mins. Came back, unlocked, key to pos 2, immob light constant, no start. Key off. Several attempts, light solid.

Lock & unlock, pos 2, fast flashing, no start. Held central lock button while in position 2, got it started.

Broke out the WD40! little blob on the key and barrel, approx 5 starts, all okay. Started and ran several times.

Tue morning, started normally. keyed off at work, got out, locked, re-opened, it would have started.
Tue eve, started fine.

Car is now at BG Motorsport having the dampers done, so will pick up this tale once the car is returned!

Elise, Trophy #31
Thanks Dan,

Strangely, it's the same with both keys, one of which looks brand new. I'll give it another couple of weeks of just making journeys which are running distance to home, so that if it decides it wants a rest, I can leave the car and still get home. Fingers crossed!

I had the same this morning, really worried me. Wouldn't start at all and the immobilizer light was flashing quickly. Left the key in the ignition for 1 min, turned it off and left it for 30 secs, then it started with no problems. It's been started 5-6 times since today and no issues at all. Must have been a dodgy connection in the key / ignition barrell. Will try the WD40 trick if need be :)

Elise, Trophy #31
Hi! The key on - key off routine only worked the once for me, but the WD40 has been reliable now for about 3weeks. Hope it does the same for you!

I had the same this morning, really worried me. Wouldn't start at all and the immobilizer light was flashing quickly. Left the key in the ignition for 1 min, turned it off and left it for 30 secs, then it started with no problems. It's been started 5-6 times since today and no issues at all. Must have been a dodgy connection in the key / ignition barrell. Will try the WD40 trick if need be :)

Hi! The key on - key off routine only worked the once for me, but the WD40 has been reliable now for about 3weeks. Hope it does the same for you!

Yeah, mine must've been a glitch with the key communicating with the immobilizer - it only happened yesterday morning, then it was fine 5 mins later and all day yesterday ... and I used the car a lot yesterday for short trips. Also fine last night and this morning! WD40'd it anyway ... I must have started it at least 10 times since the original problem, plus tested that the immobilizer disarms another 10 times (leaving it to re-arm of course) and zero issues. Fingers crossed all is ok :)