ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent turbo/TPS problem on dCi

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
At first I was certain it was a problem with the turbo spooling, but I suppose it might even be the throttle position sensor. I've got a dCi65 Clio van and what is happening is that sometimes I'll put my foot down and it feels like the turbo is non-existant as the revs crawl up so slowly. It almost feels like the brakes are on.

The most common way I can get the problem to appear is by cruising on the motorway for a short while at say, 60 in top gear, then flooring it. Before when I did this the torque was almost instantly there and I'd be at 80mph in little time. When this problem shows itself, what happens is it will take an age to reach 65mph and to fix it I have to drop into 4th, boot the revs then go straight back into 5th and the boost is there. The problem also happens around town. For instance - uphill 3rd gear, 30mph, 2k revs where I've usually got plenty of boost on tap, I floor it into a 40 zone and it's like I'm in some imaginary 6th gear. I drop to 2nd and cane it briefly then back to 3rd and it's ok. Usually. Sometimes even 2nd crawls and I've actually had a number of occasions where I've tried to set off briskly in 1st, only to find it's like I'm driving through treacle and I'm suddenly holding up traffic.

It feels like a boost problem, but then maybe it's the throttle position sensor? I say this because sometimes I can cure the lack of power by easing off the throttle gently until I feel it kick, then feed the power back in. The last couple of days this problem has been accompanied by the engine management icon staying on the dash as soon as the key is turned.

Any ideas?

ValverInBits
If a TPS is cheap (and i think they are especially if you can find a scrap part) then change that. But my first thought would be the controller for the wastegate actuator. I know on VAG engines they call it the N71 valve.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
read my thread about my dci having boost problems, this sounds identical to my problem but i cant work out whats causing it.

mine is having issues at 3k revs where it drops off the boost but then when it slowly pulls to 3.5k or there abouts it boosts again

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
yeahh another van replica you got any pics ? when was it last serviced ?

Yeah, great looking van. Wish it had 182 internals though! Handles great but seriously lacks power. Having that torque on tap isn't so bad though (when it works!) These are the best shots I've got unfortunately:-

cliovanprofile1.jpg
cliovanprofile2.jpg

Had a service maybe six months ago and believe it or not, an engine transplant about a month back (direct swap for another dCi65 with just 18k on it, due to a horrible mistake with an oil top-up but that's another story :eek:). However, the problem was there before the engine transplant although it has gotten much worse over the last week. It's maybe worth mentioning that we reused the original turbo so we could keep the newer one on one side for a spare. You're all probably wondering why I didn't put something beefier in there instead of the dCi65, well I was on holiday when my dad found a cheap 65 on eBay, bid hastily and won it before I knew a thing about it. Ah well! Been contemplating a custom remap for a long time and maybe once I've got things sorted with the turbo I'll go for one.

Cheers for all the suggestions so far guys, I'll do a bit of research into them. I'll check out your thread Martin, sounds similar but also different in a way. I find that dropping a gear usually gets boost back but it is a royal pain in the arse and not exactly what you'd expect to do with a diesel.

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
Got the engine for £450 which seemed a good price.

I wish custom maps weren't so bloody expensive though, most are looking for the £300 mark which just seems a lot for something that can't be sold on once I've done with it!

Who would you recommend? Angel Tuning reckon they can get the 65 engine to 93 bhp and also claim that they tune for "driveability" rather than maximum peak figures to look good on paper. I could live with 93bhp and a nice wedge of torque in this little thing.

Would be interested in pics/info on your van. Did you get a remap done? I've seen maybe 10 clio vans in total on the road since I got mine a couple of years ago, but they were all plain white or silver, basic trim with company logos. Haven't seen a single one that had sports trim/alloys etc.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
original owner took mine to derv doctor . his work is great but he can be quite ignorant . mine was a 65 and is at 104 bhp with no fmic , just exhaust and a derv doctor dump valve . he thinks that with a bigger turbo and fmic 140 bhp is about optimum before im spendin stupid money on it , which when you look at the polo 1.4 gt tdi which makes 140 bhp standard it doesnt seem to unreasonable .
mx1_champ

mx1_champ

mx1_champ

dunno which steering wheel i prefer sport or the momo 1 ?
mx1_champ

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
yeh thats why i have just had to rebuild it the turbo had more play in it than a swing lol stem seals were fucked so its had a full top end rebuild bottom end was fine . hence the reason i have spare actuator . so with a fresh build fmic maybe water injection and more boost ill see what i can get from it .

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
original owner took mine to derv doctor . his work is great but he can be quite ignorant . mine was a 65 and is at 104 bhp with no fmic , just exhaust and a derv doctor dump valve . he thinks that with a bigger turbo and fmic 140 bhp is about optimum before im spendin stupid money on it , which when you look at the polo 1.4 gt tdi which makes 140 bhp standard it doesnt seem to unreasonable .
mx1_champ

mx1_champ

mx1_champ

dunno which steering wheel i prefer sport or the momo 1 ?
mx1_champ

Wow, fair few differences to mine. Let's see... 104bhp remap, exhaust, body coloured bumper and side strip, bigger alloys, low profile tyres, subs, rear strut brace and let's not forget Renault Sport and 2.0 16v badges :) I'd go with the Momo steering wheel personally. Done anything to the suspension?

Looks good mate, bet it's quite nippy with that remap? Any issues such as smoking or clutch slipping etc? Needless to say, I'll recognise it if I see it lol.

Mine is all just factory options - Oz Racing alloys, side and rear skirting, front bumper etc. cargo area is unfortunately used for work so no subs for me! I prefer the look of the van over 5 seaters but because it's classed as a light goods vehicle tax is £120 per year instead of the ridiculously low £35 per year the cars get. Is it the same deal for you?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
yeh its got got 172 suspension lowered 40mm i think it is with 172 brakes wishbones driveshafts etc.
yeh it is pretty nippy for what it is .and the clutch is. fine apparently they are the same gearbox as on the old valver so any troubles and i will see about fitting a clutch of one of them they should be more than capable of over 200 bhp . gives a bit more black smoke than normal because its injecting a lot more fuel in there. still gives great mpg though.

my last tax was something like £190 quid for the year dunno if it will have gone down now hopefully will have as its sorn at the min .