ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Xenon fault

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys, I seem to have a very strange issue with my headlights at the moment.

My passenger side headlight is working intermittently. Sometimes flicking the lights off and on will sort it but mostly it will either work from startup or not at all no matter what you do.

I assumed this was the ballast and bought a replacement on ebay and swapped it over. I tested the lights and both were working so I assumed problem solved. Later that night I noticed the passenger light was not working again.

So today I tried to do a full test with both headlights out. I have tried the following:
  • Swapped headlight units over and fired them up - The drivers side unit works on the passenger side, but the passenger side unit does not work on the drivers side so this rules out and bad wiring or fuses etc
  • Swapped the igniters over - the drivers side unit still works and the passenger side unit did not work.
  • Swapped the ballasts over - the DS unit worked, the PS unit still did not work
  • Put my old assumed faulty ballast in the DS unit - The DS unit worked
  • Swapped the bulbs over - the DS unit worked, the PS unit still did not work
  • Swapped the igniters back again - Both headlights worked
So conclusions:
  1. Both Bulbs work consistently in the functioning DS unit
  2. Both ignitors work consistently in the functioning DS unit
  3. Both Ballasts work consistently in the functioning DS unit
  4. PS and DS connections to the loom both work consistently with the functioning DS unit
So this surely leaves a problem with the internal wiring of the headlight unit? On the passenger side igniter I have noticed the small connecter does seem to come away quite easily. Could it simply be a bad connection there? The PS unit is currently working, I have rammed the small connector in firmly to make sure there is a connection

Any help would be appreciated because I'm stumped!

judder

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 ff, R5 GTT
Hi there. I have exactly the same problem. Did you get it fixed in the end?

Cheers