ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet Connection... Help!!!

Nas

Eunos Roadster
Evening peeps, how u all doin, i'v got one of those Vodafone 3G data card things for my laptop, it comes with software that shows upload and download speeds. Now my question is when i have connected to the net, why does the software show that i am constantly uploading and downloading data even when i have no applications (web browser, limewire, etc) running, the upload speeds are upto 250kbps :S , have i got some sort of virus or trojan thing accessing my hard drive sending my files to the net, i have norton internet security and it is uptodate, and cannot find any sort of virus or mailicious file types, please help.

Cheers Nas

Clio 172 Mk2
hmmm seems strange that mate if the upload amount is that high while doing nothing!! do a ctrl alt del and go into task manager to see if there's any processes running that look suspicious

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
well if im reading it right, in reality they should stay constant as they are your upload and download speeds as connected at that current time.

Nas

Eunos Roadster
Thanks for the reply's

hmmm seems strange that mate if the upload amount is that high while doing nothing!! do a ctrl alt del and go into task manager to see if there's any processes running that look suspicious

If i was to get a screen shot of my Task Manager up could you help at all, this would be much appreciated

well if im reading it right, in reality they should stay constant as they are your upload and download speeds as connected at that current time.

Mate i think you may have this a little bit wrong because my connection is done through a similar way as using a mobile phone as a modem where signal strength can fluctuate a bit, therefore the indicator shows my upload/download speed, but as i am unaware of what applications are using my connection to upload/download this is my concern

Last edited:
  Merc Coupe V6 AMG
ok, pop up a screen shot of your task manager, we can then see if any dodgy applications are running.

Nas

Eunos Roadster
ok heres a pic of my internet connection program
f2347365.gif

And here is a pic of the task manager
dead23c9.gif

nah its ok, was just curious cos youve got what looks like about 50/60 processes... i have 21 running : |

wont effect your connection, was jus bein nosy :D

but on another note, i would run anti virus and anti spyware software...

then Start > run > msconfig > startup > disable all*

*personally, i would disable all, then just re-enable antivirus, firewall (if you have them).

As caramel said, is that not showing the current speed that your connection is connected? I'm guessing this will change depending what signal strength etc u have.

Nas

Eunos Roadster
Thanks for the replies, i'v rebooted my laptop and taken some more screenshots, if any of you can see any dodgy app's pleases let me kno

untitled5.gif

untitled6.gif

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
What you need to do first mate..

Start>Run 'type' msconfig> and on the last tab unclick everything and restart.

Also run adaware and spybot, you have a load of malware running.

Civic Vtec y0
Sorry for the thread hi-jack

Quick question, cant be bothered starting a new thread about it... how can i get my computer to automatically connect to the internet when i log on? Cheers

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
In what way, launch an application or actually make a connection to your ISP?

You using a modem then yes? not a router?

Civic Vtec y0
In what way, launch an application or actually make a connection to your ISP?

You using a modem then yes? not a router?
I mean so that when I log on i can just click on FireFox and I will already be connected to BT Internet...does that make sense? My computer knowledge is basic lol

Nas

Eunos Roadster
ok, i'v done this ----Start > run > msconfig > startup > disable all---- and rebooted the machine and taken another screen shot, any ideas???

untitled7.gif

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I think I know what the problem is...

Do you have a Sony Vaio laptop? I have one and there about 3 processes running which always are connected to the net. One of these is the VAIO updater and a special survey thing. Not sure what the name of the processes are though.

Nas

Eunos Roadster

Do you have a Sony Vaio laptop? I have one and there about 3 processes running which always are connected to the net. One of these is the VAIO updater and a special survey thing. Not sure what the name of the processes are though.

Yeah mate i am using a vaio, so it may be the updater and survey thing

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

Yeah mate i am using a vaio, so it may be the updater and survey thing

More than likely, I had dial up until recently and it used to take up all the bandwidth.
The only way to switch them off is either through services in the control panel or as previously stated through 'msconfig'.

Nas

Eunos Roadster
ok guys thanks for all the help, gonna get another brand of anti virus, just to make sure,