ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet data

Clio 172 Cup
I've been having problems for 18 month + with my connection and speed. An engineer came out the other week and after talking to BT wholesale the estimated we had used 50Gb in 14 days and sky are probably slowing my line. Sky said they don't do that lol we might have somebody using our wifi, after changing the password we had used 3.5Gb in 3 days which they say is still very high.
There are 5 of us all with smart phones/iPods,3laptops, Xbox & ps3. Sky say even with all that they would not expect up to use as much as we do :-/
So what do you guys use in a month?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
What do you use the Internet for? You say 5 of you. Student house?

Waching I player downloading films playing online etc.

Circa 100gb per month between 5 of you is 20gb. That is heavy use but not mega.

3.5gb in 3 days is reasonable a lot if the consoles are downloading demos, streaming music and Sky downloading on demand stuff etc.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Yeah 3.5gb isn't that much especially when using game consoles online.

Every month my usage Is well over 60gb, most of it from my brothers Xbox lol.

Clio 172 Cup
Just a family we can't download films and demos we can't use sky on demand as it takes 15/24 hours to download a film. Only the oldest lad plays online Xbox/ps3 and that's probably an average of 3 hrs aday, the rest of the usage is mainly Facebook forums and email.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Maybe your lad is downloading lots of "films" 24/7...

Maybe someone more technical could advise on a program that could monitor what device is so data hungry?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The issue isn't usage here anyway, I thought sky's service was truly unlimited and they never slowed speeds.

So they either lied or there is an issue.

Bumder With A Buffer
I bet you he is on the Sky Connect service which is the same as one of BT's bundles...I was on that uptill 2 months ago (massive **** up by SKY taking my order for unlimited even though the exchange wasnt LLU'd to them)

Which is pointless as you are paying Sky who then pay BT. Might as well use BT unless the exchange has SKY enabled under LLU. If so move onto the SKY unlimited package

Clio 172 Cup
No we don't use sky anytime and yes we are sky connect and it's cr*p lol
We have been looking at changing but after comparing and talking to others in the village they all have speed problems and prices seem to be about the same or more so we might as well put up with what we have :-(

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
3.5gb is nothing at all. You could easily burn through that with online gaming and 'normal' internet use in 3 days. For example, I would estimate I have downloaded 10x that in the last 24 hours easily! (when you can download 40gb+ an hour, it's pretty easy to get through that much data!)

Clio 172 Cup
3.5gb is nothing at all. You could easily burn through that with online gaming and 'normal' internet use in 3 days. For example, I would estimate I have downloaded 10x that in the last 24 hours easily! (when you can download 40gb+ an hour, it's pretty easy to get through that much data!)

I would love 40+fb an hour but mine is about 5gb until lunch time then drops to about 1.3gb but by tea time it's less than 800k so like I've said online gaming is not much and downloading/streaming of films and music is impossible most of the time.
Even though my speed test shows 5gb on a morning I still can't get anything to download before it slows down

dk

911 GTS Cab
What on earth could you be downloading and where from to be downloading at full speed constantly for 24 hrs with 100mb BB?

Thats excessive. I'm a heavy downloader, but that's just ridiculous.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I would love 40+fb an hour but mine is about 5gb until lunch time then drops to about 1.3gb but by tea time it's less than 800k so like I've said online gaming is not much and downloading/streaming of films and music is impossible most of the time.
Even though my speed test shows 5gb on a morning I still can't get anything to download before it slows down
I'm guessing you mean 5mb here......

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
What on earth could you be downloading and where from to be downloading at full speed constantly for 24 hrs with 100mb BB?

Thats excessive. I'm a heavy downloader, but that's just ridiculous.

Where did I say i'd been downloading for 24 hours? I said i'd downloaded 35gb in the last 24 hours (10x the 3.5gb the OP had in 3 days). That's less than an hour at full speed.

I couldn't download full speed for 24 hours for 2 reasons, 1) Virgin drop your speed after about 5gb and 2) I don't have the storage space!