ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internet help

Right my internet keeps cutting off for about 10 seconds whenever someone uses the house phone. What could be causing this, and how can i stop it? Gets rather annoying tbh! And no, its not a dial up connection :p

Clio 172
Do you have the micro filter in place?

It will be that.

Look at the master socket in your house. You should have a little box plugged into it, with two different sized ports on it. Should say ADSL/router and phone above them.

You need one for everything plugged in to a phone outlet, including sky players.

So if you have a phone upstairs, it needs a filter

It will be that.

Look at the master socket in your house. You should have a little box plugged into it, with two different sized ports on it. Should say ADSL/router and phone above them.

You need one for everything plugged in to a phone outlet, including sky players.

So if you have a phone upstairs, it needs a filter

Ah! there is two phones in the house, so if put a microfilter into the other phone line, then I should be alright?

Clio 172
Ah! there is two phones in the house, so if put a microfilter into the other phone line, then I should be alright?

Yep. Both phone outlets need a micro filter! Can just unplug the other one for the time being, at least you can test it that way

Right turns out the other phone downstairs isn't connected to the phone line, (works wirelessly with the other phone) So the way it goes:

Phone line socket in downstairs living room, phone line wire goes up to the phone line socket in my bedroom.
Micro filter is connected to that phone line in my bedroom.
Router and the main phone is plugged into that microfilter.

We have no sky boxes or anything like that, all tvs with built in freeview. So what could be causing this?

sport 182
Could be a filter issue, but also Internet cutting out when the phone rings is a sign of high resistance on the line.

Still sounds like filter.
Oh wait, did you say your master socket has anything plugged into it?

Alright cheers guys. Ill try replacing the filter then. The master socket? As in the one downstairs? It has a phone line plugged into it, which goes up to the phone line connector box in my room. Which the phone and router are plugged into microfilter.

Could be a filter issue, but also Internet cutting out when the phone rings is a sign of high resistance on the line.

Can that be fixed? or not?

sport 182
Alright cheers guys. Ill try replacing the filter then. The master socket? As in the one downstairs? It has a phone line plugged into it, which goes up to the phone line connector box in my room. Which the phone and router are plugged into microfilter.

It can still be a internal fault so it's worth doing what you said. If it is HR it's a external issue so would need sky to get a engineer out.

Clio 172

Basically, you have one of them cheapo eBay extension kits? Plugs into the front of the socket and the other end is the other box?

If so, I would put a micro filter onto that. Just to be sure.

Best thing you can do, is disconnect EVERYTHING, and plug it all into the master socket, and test it.

BMW F21 125d
Where is your master socket? Downstairs I assume? (It'll have BT or Openreach written on it).

You need to plug your line filter into there (unless you have an SSFP where the filter is built into the faceplate, but if you do have that you'll just have two outputs on the socket instead of the standard one). Anyway, plug your phone and router into the master socket, disconnect everything else and retest it. if BT attend then they'll only test to the master socket anyway, and if the fault is proved onto internal wiring you'll be charged something like £100 for their visit.