ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iOS4 software upgrade. Opinions?

172, Tiguan
Chaps,

I realise the love for all things Apple in here, but wondered if we could have balanced opinions on os4 and if you all think it's actually an improvement on 3.13 - or if like i suspect, has potential but hasn't really been thought through properly?

I realise on the '4' it's probably wonderful, but what about for everyone else still on older models?

Personally; Issues i've had so far (on a 6 month old factory unlocked 3GS):

Pros:

• Folders thing is cool.
  • I like the idea of multi-tasking.
  • Spell check is great.
  • Gmail conversations is great.
  • Wallpaper thing is OK.

Cons:

• The phone now crashes very occasionally.
  • Safari has crashed on me twice.
  • The update lost ALL my cellular data settings - and had to be re-entered manually.
  • I have three apps that refuse to work (have re-installed, still no good). I guess I wait for updates...
  • The phone is laggy and nowhere near as quick as it used to be.
  • Scrolling through Safari windows goes the wrong way sometimes (bizarre one this!)
So personally, I find it quite dissapointing that they released this with this many apparent bugs? What are others opinions? I know if we released something at work with this many bug's we'd be shot at dawn!

However, maybe it's just me suffering??

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Re: OS4 software upgrade. Opinions?

New releases are always quiet buggy IIRC. Give it a month or two for them to fix all the niggles & I think it will be wicked.

I do really like it though!

Any ideas on how to use the spell checker and the gmail conversations though ?

/noob

DB.

BMW 440i

iPhone 3GS.

Pros
Folders
Edit playlists on iPod
Multitasking
Wallpaper thing

Cons
Had none so far!

Weeman sucks ****

Like all things apple it will get a patch/update which will fix any issues as they can't disregard the 3GS yet. I still have the 3G so not even bothering.

DB.

BMW 440i

On second thoughts

Cons
It has made my dads 3G ALOT slower, literally takes ten seconds to open something now. He is getting an iPhone 4 though soon so he isn't too bothered!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Trying to update my 3gs has bust it, so i'd say don't bother.

172, Tiguan

Ah I guess I should never expect a company making billions and billions to get something right first time eh! lol.

Mini Cooper S

Had no problems to date but i havent used it to its potential yet!

Nashy

Mondeo ST220

I have the exact same issue with Safari as you Jon. Annoying!

Also, the iPod isn't working on mine if I try and play any podcasts or audiobooks, hoping that will sort itself out if I sync the phone again.

I like the multitasking although it gets a bit cluttered after a while with all the icons staying up. Just a little annoyance of my own more than anything.

Folders are mint though.

Renaultsport Clio 182

i'm not updating to OS4 cos it doesn't really offer anything different to my 3GS which is Jailbroken.

mine does multitasking and i've got the folders (categories app) or use springjumps if needs be so i'm set for now

Weeman sucks ****

Ah I guess I should never expect a company making billions and billions to get something right first time eh! lol.

Windows have a few in the bank lol. but they still seem to f**k most things up most of the time

Last edited:
  VaVa

Everything Apple do is perfect, Jon, you should know that if you spend any time in this forum!! ;)

What's the folders thing about?

It took me about 5 attempts at downloading the update (is it just me or do you have to download the whole thing again if the update fails? That's annoying! :mad:)

So I tried doing a 'restore and update' and that seemed to work. Then when backing up got the message "backup failed, corrupt files" Which made me angry. Clicked continue and the thing carried on and backed up perfectly?! :S

f**king hate iTunes tbh.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

see i have it on the 3G and tbh, it seems to run the same as the old OS.

However, my iphone isn't loaded with stuff. only use about 2gb of memory. it does seem to take a little longer to open mesages or something once in a while, but generally it seems the same performance wise .

the only thing i have found is copilot still crashes until it settles down a bit. but it did this on the old os one anyway...

Its ok, I wanted multi tasking but its kind of irritating now I have it! It feels like Apps have to re-load anyway, maybe they need updates, it doesn't feel like they are running in the background! Also having to manually close everything I open is annoying!

That aside, it doesn't feel that much slower, it looks a bit more bling & I'm sure I'll get used to it, need to learn how to folder etc and make the most of it. Glad I can create play lists..

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

I have found it quite good to be honest. I have the tomtom and a few others, and with the quick switching, and the fact i can exit the app and do otherthings all whilst still receiving direction via the speakers is v good. Even if i take a call now it carries on. Apps have been updated to the fast app switching have benefitted quite a bit, and i think it feels a little snappier. Not had any negatives thus far.....

Oh apart fromt he fact i need to upgrade to newer itunes and my netbook crashes everytime i open it, and it wont sync with old itunes grrrrr

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I've got the 4 and multi-tasking flat out irritates me, it just seems totally unnecessary?

I don't actually see a point for it, I have two pages on my iPhone, by the time I've double clicked "home" and then found what I wanted and opened it, I could have single clicked "home" and clicked the app I wanted....

The only use I see it having is for games, great...

Megane 265 Cup

I've got the 4 and multi-tasking flat out irritates me, it just seems totally unnecessary?

I don't actually see a point for it, I have two pages on my iPhone, by the time I've double clicked "home" and then found what I wanted and opened it, I could have single clicked "home" and clicked the app I wanted....

The only use I see it having is for games, great...

That is exactly what I have always thought when it comes to multi tasking, do not see the point at all. Going to do the update to os4 now though.

Megane 225 F1

1 year old 3G.

Pros:None

Cons:
crashed 5 times in the last 2 days.
So much slower.
I can type a whole text message, hear the keypad and the text won't show for 30 seconds or so.
Messages don't always send.
iPod freezes.
Won't work at all with my alpine car stereo.
Have to get to my contacts via text messages as my phone bit is stuck on recent calls.

All in all I'm pissed off and now have a very limited functional phone.

I think apple did it on purpose to make me want a 4g which I do!!!

iFail

Barge

I've noticed these bugs too. My Safari can be ridiculously slow, text message loading is slow, I haven't noticed any non-working apps (although saying that I tend to only use three or four regularly).

I like the folder thing, and the opportunity to increase font size, etc. Although the other night the whole phone fucked and wouldn't get past the Apple logo start-up screen, meaning I had to do a full restore - luckily iTunes still picked up the phone and I could sync.

Quite shoddy really, although I'm sure there'll be an update soon to fix some of these issues.

R26
The multitasking is s**t, do you just double tap the home button and it cones up with everything that has ever been opened at the bottom? How is that multitasking? Iirc my old Sony Ericsson multitasked properly. Not just put a list at the bottom. Grrr

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

If the app is written properly, it wont matter.

I've been using iOS4 since the first beta and to be honest its just a polished iOS3 with bits i wanted.
On the 3GS it was slightly slower but not enough to notice (plus the fact some of the apps arent written to work properly with the newer OS)

Some things are still not sorted, notifications are terrible still and theres sill no f**king custom SMS tones.
I WOULD PAY FOR THAT IF I HAD TO.

3.0 was stupidly buggy at launch, this is nothing really.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab

I've had no issues so far, just improvements and the phone is noticeably faster (3GS)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
No problems on my 3gs for me, if anything its quicker since i'm not scrolling through 7/8 pages of apps to find the one i want!

I'm sure the reception has improved too, getting signal where i did no get signal before :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Why?

You do realise you achieve nothing by closing them?

I got this impression too. Its like pausing a DVD, switching the DVD player off from the plug, it's uses no electricity and then the next day turn it on and resume watching from where you left off.

For some reason that's the only analogy I can think of right now.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Seems to have slowed my lame 3G down quite abit :(

Not really anything has changed for old school 3G's it seems except folders which I probably wont use.

When I loaded iOS4 onto my 3G I had the new waterdrop background during the restore phase, how gutted was I when it went back to black on restart.

Teasing b*****ds!

Folders are ace when you had 9 pages of apps - I've condensed down to 3 now :)

iShred no longer works so I guess I'll have to play the real thing.