ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad or Playbook..

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so the question has a pretty obvious answer but bear with me :)

In need of something to replace a netbook that we currently use when away and it'd be useful for me when away with work rather than carting my personal laptop with me as well as my work one.

Usage is mostly web browsing, but a I'm sure we'd find other uses once we have something.

Again it's pretty obvious that the iPad is better for apps, although the Playbook does run Android stuff now, and it's increased screen size would be nicer.

The dilemma has arisen as the Playbook can be had for £130 for a 64GB model whereas the cheapest iPad is £330 for a 16GB iPad2, ideally I'd want at least 32GB which bumps the price up even more.

So is an iPad worth 3 to 4 times the cost of the Playbook?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
iPad. I haven't used my Laptop for browsing since. It's on another level to it's rivals imo.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
An iPad is worth 3 times the cost of the PB but the PB is excellent if you can't afford the iPad.

My mum has one and with all the latest updates it is nice and fast, screen is now almost as responsive as an iPad, and it does all the email/calendar stuff. It has flash too, although most (decent) websites support HTML5 it is nice to be able to use older flash sites.

The iPad is better for me because the screen is a better size, app's are cheaper, better/more apps are available, screen is more responsive and it syncs across my Apple empire of devices.

Regarding the Android apps, they did all work but they updated it recently so they don't anymore. You used to install any app you wanted manually but due to potential piracy issues the latest updates stopped this, so only apps from the BB marketplace work now.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't appeal, the downsides of the Playbook (smaller screen), runs Android which I can't say I'm fussed on, with the downsides of the iPad (more expensive, less storage).

I can see it ending up being an iPad of some sort as I get the feeling if I bought the Playbook I'd end up thinking I should have bought the other instead, but for £130 it still seems appealing!

German V6
Doesn't appeal, the downsides of the Playbook (smaller screen), runs Android which I can't say I'm fussed on, with the downsides of the iPad (more expensive, less storage).

I can see it ending up being an iPad of some sort as I get the feeling if I bought the Playbook I'd end up thinking I should have bought the other instead, but for £130 it still seems appealing!

The Nexus 7 dosen't appeal to you but a playbook does? Wow just

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
The Nexus 7 dosen't appeal to you but a playbook does? Wow just

Well show me the £130 Nexus with 64GB and I might change my mind :) Whatever is purchased is likely to be 90% used for web browsing, apps and crap not that fussed on which I believe is the Playbook weakness.

The iPad is expensive with less storage again but it's a better product to use with a nicer screen.

I'm fully prepared to be shown that the Nexus 7 is great but as it stands I just don't see it's advantage to me.

If you're just going to be doing web stuff, why is big storage so important?

With so much cloud/streaming malarky I don't think having such massive storage is that important anymore.

16GB, even with a decent amount of apps, you'll still get plenty of films/music/pictures on it.

Clio Cup Racer
I thought about getting a playbook, had one on trail for a couple of weeks.

Really want an ipad but the price of the playbook was attractive.

Then I remembered the screen is quite small and thinking about it - its half way to the ipad. I thought why not just save up the other half and buy an ipad.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Get the playbook, its cheap, got loads of storage.

Who cares that its poorly supported, got the worst tablet OS i have ever ever seen and feels like it cost £1.33 to make. Is cheap. Thats all that matters.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
If you're just going to be doing web stuff, why is big storage so important?

Just because the other stuff it'll be doing it largely media player related so could have done with whacking on a load of videos etc, got some long dull trips coming up and would have bene handy.

Probably going to bite the bullet and go for the 32gig iPad though, just seemed a lot better and the bigger screen is a bit bonus.