ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 or Samaung Galaxy S3?

Lol. Attacking your competitors directly is about as lame as advertising gets. Shows desperation and a lack of dignity.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL! It's so true, all of it.

Lol. Attacking your competitors directly is about as lame as advertising gets. Shows desperation and a lack of dignity.

C'mon. If it was apple doing the same it would be amazing and genius. Most of the phones apple have brought out have just been playing catch up. I got the 4 because they released it at the right time to be ahead of the competition. The 4S then provided not a lot extra in terms of real world differences. And now back to the 5 where apple are playing catchup again.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Samsung would kill to get people queuing outside of their retail stores. You can't buy that sort of brand loyalty and prestige. They won't ever achieve it either. Shame really, they try so so hard.

Also When was the last time you touched phones with someone in the street to share a playlist or watched a f**king video while sending an email? Lovely features I'm sure but absofuvkinglutely pointless.

Siri is a gimmick, but i use it every day.

Lol at catchup! With what? The 4s with the s2 the s3 with the 5? Don't make me laugh. Svoice? Cloud services? Ring any bells?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The only feature of Android I would love is the ability to turn wifi and BT on and off from the notification centre. Wifi especially.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Why? Turning them off brings minimal gains in battery life. Especially bluetooth.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Because sometimes I don't want to use cloud/openzone wifi when I'm out and about for example, but it still keeps trying to make me log in. If I could quickly turn off wifi there and then with the flick of my thumb it would save me fumbling about through the settings.

Got no gripes with the battery life, I'm only charging my 5 every other day which I haven't done for a long time now so I'm pretty impressed by it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The open zone issue is a valid one. There was a feature in the last beta that solved that issue, but it's gone now.

C'mon. If it was apple doing the same it would be amazing and genius.

In your opinion maybe. In my opinion it would show desperation and a lack of dignity, but in any case, Apple don't do it because they're not desperate. I ignored the rest of your post because with the greatest respect, you're talking s**t.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Do tell me how I'm talking s**t.

Please explain to me the features of the phone and specs that are above and beyond anything released prior to it.

4G...oh wait.
Panorama...again no.
Larger screen...still nope.

Granted I'm a big fan of iOS and how easy it is to use and also the build quality which will never be rivalled by the likes of Samsung.

I'm really interested to see what the 5 brings to the table that no phone before it has ever done, or even at a push anything it does better. It's going to be a short list.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You don't get it.

There's more to it than raw specs. Anyone can shove numbers and letters into a phone. It's how it all works together that's important.

2014 Focus Titanium
Well I thought the advert was quite funny, but it's never going to appeal to anyone other than existing Android/Samsung fans. Funny all the same though. It's not all about specs, it's not all about UI, it's a mixture of both and whether you lean to one or the other is your individual choice. Apple fans stay happy with their phones, we stay happy with ours. The end.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
No I do get it Tom. Like I said, I'm a fan of iOS. But it's nothing special. The OS is down to personal opinion. It's not a proven fact that iOS is better. I'm talking about measurable differences not just how you or the next person thinks it is.

Are there any benchmark tests between the 2 btw to see how well the OS's perform?

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I found the ad hilarious and I've got an I phone 'shock horror' I didn't see it as desperate either. Although, I'm not a fan boy I guess and I'll just go for whatever I like the look of.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Samsung did the same with the 4s and the s2 iirc?

my sister has the s3 and its a nice phone but f**k me she doesn't have go on about how much better it is than mine! I actually don't give a s**t, I wanted an iPhone, I bought an iPhone. If I wanted an s3 I would have bought an s3. Something she can't seem to quite understand.

2014 Focus Titanium
No I do get it Tom. Like I said, I'm a fan of iOS. But it's nothing special. The OS is down to personal opinion. It's not a proven fact that iOS is better. I'm talking about measurable differences not just how you or the next person thinks it is.

Are there any benchmark tests between the 2 btw to see how well the OS's perform?

Rhys as much as I will defend Android to the end I think you are kind of missing the point. It's only geeks like us that care about f4st proc3ss0rs and 64,000,000GB of RAM, 80% of people just care about usability. This is what Tom is talking about. At the end of the day the GS3 is equally as usable and enjoyable as the iphone, but spouting about benchmarks won't win arguments with most people.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes, but you dont want to go there.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Rhys as much as I will defend Android to the end I think you are kind of missing the point. It's only geeks like us that care about f4st proc3ss0rs and 64,000,000GB of RAM, 80% of people just care about usability. This is what Tom is talking about. At the end of the day the GS3 is equally as usable and enjoyable as the iphone, but spouting about benchmarks won't win arguments with most people.

My point is apple fans rubbish the S3 because its an inferior product. When in reality it's not, they just prefer iOS and the build quality. Then when questioned waffle shite and have nothing to back their argument up.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, how is the hardware inferior, an older piece of hardware doesn't make it inferior.

That's like saying a Nissan Note will perform better than an E46 M3 because its newer.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
How? Because its parts are superior.

Processor is incredibly powerful, Screen is better tech, construction is superior (along with the build materials) and the rest of the chipset is more advanced. This is nothing like comparing cars, we are comparing competing phones.

Some of the industry commenters are getting very excited about the A6, it seems to be an entirely new type of custom ARM chip, not just a higher clock off the shelf ARM AX chip like they and others have used before.

Nobody is sure how many cores it has or what speeds it can run at, but some of the initial testing is showing incredible speed.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Seeing as there isnt a benchmark that can accurately compare the two i dont see how you got there.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Most of the phones apple have brought out have just been playing catch up. And now back to the 5 where apple are playing catchup again.

You on drugs?

samsung_vs_apple.jpg

samsung-vs-apple-patent-ipad-design-updatec.com.jpg

Apple-VS-Samsung-Court-Battle.jpg

Come on Rhys!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

Tom says the S3 is inferior. Then rubbishes the test results. So if the tests don't accurately compare how can you rubbish the S3?

Some serious back pedalling going on in here.

Oh and Kev I'm under no illusions that iOS has shaped the smart phone of today in terms if touch screen and layout for the most part. But this isn't an OS debate for me, this is purely facts and figures.

Also android has moved away from the early efforts of iPhone imitation.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You said how the OS's perform.

Things like browser tests are the only really comparable measures. I dont think geekbench is trust worthy enough, its reporting different scores between android versions let alone vs iOS tests. Plus you need to consider latency and what the OS requires in terms of minimum processing power.

The A6 is more advanced than the Exynos, but its a fairly pointless discussion as the OS's have different requirements and don't run on either device respectively.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oooh, ooh, I want a go...

You say it's not inferior, I say it is.

Not from a tech loving ub3r g33k (which I used to be, but am no longer), but from a normal phone user.

It's inferior because its coated cheap plastic, it will peel off, it will separate at the seams, if will go wrong and it will need to be sent off for three weeks for examination before they tell you that you evidently let it rain on the handset whilst using the phone outside so the warranty is void.

You want to compare it to cars?

Buy a Renault, with all the same kit as a BMW, the same top speed, and even slightly better acceleration, but does this make it a better car? Will you have a nicer time in the Renault waiting room whilst they're trying to diagnose a fault as you would in the awesome BMW courtesy car that you'd get the minute you walked in with a problem?

Will the seats wear the same?

Will the BMW look like a cheap old car in 2 years and be worth 6 pence? I don't think so, but the Renault sure will.

You can tell me that the magic numbers inside the phone make the s3 better, but will I really care about that in 7 months when my quality product is still going strong and you're using a 5110 as a temporary phone whilst samsung "look into your problem"? No.

A phone needs to be "good" in a lot more than just one way.

Oh and finally, to all of you that call siri a gimmick etc, touching phones to share things? Jesus. It's the app "bump", that some idiot decided should be a fixed feature...

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I just like the iPhone because its what I'm used to. It makes phone calls, surfs the Internet, allows me to post s**t on CS and shows me the news and footie scores. I'm sure the S3 does all of the above just as we'll buy it just looked too big for my liking.

Sigh, Tom is there a thread to do with Apple that you don't have to push your Apple fanboy views to?

It seems every single time you have such a narrow-minded opinion and everything you say has to be fact.

Threads like these on CS are boring, always goes the same way rofl. OP if you want unbiased reviews try other forums to be honest.

Apple's new-gen A6 chip is dual-core, and though the clock speed wasn't announced, it should see a modest bump above the 1GHz of the iPhone 4S. We reckon around 1.2GHz. Apple claims it is up to twice as fast as the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S though that remains to be tested. This still risks lagging behind the Samsung Galaxy S3 which sports a quad-core Exynos 4 processor at 1.4GHz in the UK.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Rob I love your post. But it highlights my issue.

You're finding it an inferior product by personal opinion.

Like I said originally. Noone has shown me anything new on the iPhone 5 that is new in the smart phone world.

They're late with 4G, late with a bigger screen, late with panorama mode.

For Christ sake they were behind when they released their original phone with no camera. Then the second one with no video!!!

Apple releases are always late IMHO, if they released this earlier this year it would have been great. But they are too slow at getting up to market standards.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Like I said originally. Noone has shown me anything new on the iPhone 5 that is new in the smart phone world.

They're late with 4G, late with a bigger screen, late with panorama mode.

For Christ sake they were behind when they released their original phone with no camera. Then the second one with no video!!!

Apple releases are always late IMHO, if they released this earlier this year it would have been great. But they are too slow at getting up to market standards.

Late with 4G?

If you lived in the USA maybe, but LTE is barely available in europe. So whats the point in having it when its not there?

And thats without going down the whole "well the s3 doesnt have LTE either" road

Panorama mode has been in 3rd party apps for years

Original iPhone had a 2 megapixel camera, the only thing you did get right was the 3G not having video. (although it gained it via third party apps)

You might think im biased, but im simply leaning towards the superior product.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The advert did make me laugh though, it's genuinely funny that a company has to try that hard to justify that it's product is better than one other specific product within the market. It does show how desperate they are to try and make people even consider their product.

TBH apple could sneeze on a phone and lacquer it and it'd sell. That sort of loyalty doesn't come from "blindness" or anything similar, it's what happens when you make quality products, you get a reputation. We're no different now to how our parents are with their choice of TV or vacuum cleaner brands etc.

It's not just by personal opinion, it's experiences. I can't begin to describe the amount of people I know that have been waiting for their phone to be repaired, for me, just the level of customer service is worth staying with apple, and the ability to seamlessly move from one phone to another. (another major bug bear of mine was always moving contacts etc).

The thing is, you're finding fault in the iPhone by personal opinion too.

You say they're "late" with the bigger screen, personally, I prefer the smaller screen size, so it's actually a negative for me to upgrade. I wouldn't say that they're late, they've now chosen to make it larger, for whatever reasons, it's hardly like they couldn't make it larger before, it was just a choice.

I find that most s2 users just seem to go on about the technology, then saying apple are "catching up" with a bigger screen is mental, I want a phone, not a second iPad. I don't really care about what processor is in the iPhone, I care about whether it works quickly and consistently, and it does. What more do I need?

Last edited: