ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone - Unlocking Questions

Swift Sport
I've searched for information regarding unlocking iPhones but didn't really find what I was looking for.

Basically I've bought a cheap iPhone from a friend which is locked to O2 and I want to get it unlocked so I can use my Orange sim.

I know that O2 will unlock your phone for free but it seems you can only do that if you were the original O2 customer? My friend who I bought it from said he can't unlock it (he is a bit dim tbf).

What is my best option? Do I take it to a highstreet phone shop and see if they'll unlock it for a few quid? Is there a way I can do it online for free? Any other ideas?

By the way, its a 3G 8GB iPhone updated to the 3.1.3 firmware (Sorry if thats wrong, I have no knowledge of iPhones lol).

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Ste.

Swift Sport
My friend said he has already submitted the O2 online unlocking form although I'm totally not convinced he has at all. I'm a bit concerned about submitting a form pretending to be him just in case he has actually submitted one.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
it takes a while, you'll just have to wait.

When it does you need an o2 sim (Any one) to activate the handset and you will get the unlocked message. Avoid any other route if you possibly can Ultra/Black Snow are shitty unlocks that arent elegant at all.

Swift Sport
Cheers. It's frustrating as I've no idea what my mate has actually done towards getting it unlocked for me, if anything. I've sold my old phone and I'm sat here with a totally useless one.

Is taking it to one of these backstreet phone shops a good idea, or are they dodgy?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Get your mate to fill in the form again, or DIY.

You'll need his o2 security password.

Backstreet shops use the (Free) tools found here http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ i really would avoid that method.

Swift Sport
Okay I've spoken to my mate regarding the phone. He said he filled in the form online and submitted it, and they said they would reply via text. Trouble is, he said he doesn't have the sim anymore!? He also said it was Pay As You Go if that makes any difference.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Put a new PAYG O2 SIM in it, request the unlock again, job done? Surely?

EDIT: My bad. Didn't know you had to pay to unlock them on PAYG.

Swift Sport
Turns out the guy has the original store receipt for the phone from last year, maybe they'd sort it for him there if he has the receipt?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Sorry to bring this back up again,

But does it really take 14days to simply unlock a phone? iv just sold mine tonight and guy said he was going to use o2 on it, now it turns out he wants it unlocked for vodafone, so i told him il get it unlocked, looks like he will have to wait 14days :mad: