ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iphone vs my n95 8gb

was perfectly in the mood today to go out and buy an iphone.

my boss is setting everyone up on massive tarriffs with vodafone to get us all using our mobiles through work for clients. i am already on voda and have been for god knows how many years, so my deals, price plans, new phone every 6 months is just a rolling contract. 25 quid a month, 1500 mins, 3000 capped free landline calls, unlim text, free internet etc, just because have been with them since i was 13/14.

now the iphone tarifs are s**te, but have just wanted an iphone for its "cool and gadgety" reasons. boss will pay the 45 a month as thats what he would pay for the rest to have the right amount of minutes for their work contracts. but this iphone seems more flawed than the gadget i orginally thought it to be!!

Key features:
  • 3.5" 16M-color TFT display with a resolution of 480 x 320 pixels
  • Quad-band GSM support
  • Tri-band UMTS support with HSDPA
  • Built-in GPS receiver
  • Wi-Fi
  • 8 to 16GB of onboard storage
  • Accelerometer, proximity sensor and ambient light sensor
  • 2 megapixel camera
  • Silky smooth user interface with multi-touch user support
  • Unsurpassed web surfing experience
  • Push email with MS Exchange support
  • AppStore access for direct application download and installation
  • Redone rear
  • TV-out port
Main disadvantages:
  • No video calls over the 3G network
  • The handset wobbles on hard even surfaces
  • There are a number of messaging downers
  • Camera has no auto focus, nor video recording… nor any settings at all
  • Safari browser doesn't support Flash and Java, doesn't have a download manager
  • Bluetooth support limited to headset use only (no A2DP or file transfers)
  • No office document editor
  • No copy/paste functionality
  • You cannot sync Notes and TO-DOs
  • No memory card slot (but knowing Apple there will never be one)
now the first couple arent an issue, but talk about a let down on the rest?? my n95 is streets ahead! and the camera is a big let down too!! and now i know why my work colleague couldnt just send me a photo/vice versa from a work do on thursday!!

just my thoughts but would be interested to listen to the thoughts of others on just getting an ipod touch 16gb and stick with my n95!!

the floor is open to comments, as it were lol!

jamie

SLK 350
I don't really see the point go to google and type in n95 vs iPhone I'm sure you'll get a broad spread of user reviews.

Personally I wouldn't ever swap my iPhone for another handset at this point. The only promising one looks to be the Blackberry Thunder. The iPhone is such a great tool, particularly thanks to the app store.

As for Flash no phone to my knowledge supports it yet, it's not lightweight enough. Java is coming...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Both to gimicky for my tastes, here's where it's at
awesomeoldschoolmobilephone1.jpg

I don't really see the point go to google and type in n95 vs iPhone I'm sure you'll get a broad spread of user reviews.

more geeks in here ;)

interesting that you dont miss the n95. might go buy it, will still have both tbf

jamie

Better than yours. C*nt.
N95 8GB FTW - the iPhone is nothing in comparison technically. The N95 (if they've got it running stable, which apparently they have on the 8GB) is an astonishing bit of kit, and the N96 has a massive chair to fill.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
GF has the Iphone and I have the N95

Personally I couldn't live with the Iphone. In a specification comparison the Iphone really is s**t lol. I understand why some people might like it.. I mean all that marketing hype is aimed at certain people for sure..

I love my N95 which I have had since launch. I have been looking to upgrade but there has been nothing that even comes close to the N95.

I reckon im just gonna get the N96 when its out.

Better than yours. C*nt.
I mean all that marketing hype is aimed at certain people for sure..

The same people, no doubt, that struggle with more than one mouse button...

As for the N96, I think as long as the Nokia/Symbian bugs aren't there, will be the final nail in the iPhone coffin.

GF has the Iphone and I have the N95

Personally I couldn't live with the Iphone. In a specification comparison the Iphone really is s**t lol. I understand why some people might like it.. I mean all that marketing hype is aimed at certain people for sure..

I love my N95 which I have had since launch. I have been looking to upgrade but there has been nothing that even comes close to the N95.

I reckon im just gonna get the N96 when its out.

almost exactly my position. my thought process was just to get it for work. i would be keeping the n95 on my usual tarriff with voda anyways . . . hmm

I didn't listen or take any notice of the iPhone hype. In fact, until I got one (long story) I had already decided I didn't want one. It's an amazing machine, and I'd not swap it for anything else unless it had the same operating system and was as nice to use & own (so nothing then). What type of person does that make me? :D

I mean all that marketing hype is aimed at certain people for sure..

As for the N96, I think as long as the Nokia/Symbian bugs aren't there, will be the final nail in the iPhone coffin.

PMSL.
It'll take more than a Nokia to "be the final nail in the iPhone coffin".

I wouldn't have any other phone other than my iPhone now.. and I'm capable (I think?) of using more than one mouse button.

Stick to selling laptops. ;) :rasp:

Ive had an N series phone and now i have my iPhone.

Nothing comes close to the iPhone. Ive had it 6months or so now and usually by this time im getting itchy fingers and wanting to upgrade but im not.

iPhone is best phone around.

SLK 350
Mikey is great, he's almost Naziesque in his opinions at times.

Go try one, use it for a month, look in the appstore at where the head is headed and maybe it'll click that Nokia (or any other manufacturer) really don't understand what usability is.

It's a superbly versatile device.

PMSL.
It'll take more than a Nokia to "be the final nail in the iPhone coffin".

I wouldn't have any other phone other than my iPhone now.. and I'm capable (I think?) of using more than one mouse button.

Stick to selling laptops. ;) :rasp:

FLOL! Was thinking the same thing.. Nokia's need to take advice from apple ;)

Better than yours. C*nt.
FLOL! Was thinking the same thing.. Nokia's need to take advice from apple ;)

What, by taking 5 years off their spec sheets? ;)

My main gripe with the iPhone is that to have it 'legitimately' you have to be with O2. And despite not being the cheapest anyway, the iPhone tariffs are more expensive yet again AND their customer support is awful. I won't go into details as I'm sure you don't give a toss, but suffice to say I won't bother them with my time again.

1200 minutes, 500 text, unlimited (no fair usage either) data, unlimited wifi (The Cloud, BTOpenZone) for £45 a month.. I don't feel ripped off one little bit. Free 8GB iPhone with full iPod Touch capabilities on an 18 month contract, too.. can't go wrong.

Good coverage, etc. O2 are about the best IMO.

Better than yours. C*nt.
O2 don't work properly at mine, and for £26 I get a HSUPA datacard and unlimited data (properly unlimited) with unlimited WiFi, and any phone off T-Mobile's shop, with anywhere up to 1800 texts or 900 minutes, and unlimited data on that as well...

Maybe I'm just getting a rediculously good deal, but I certainly won't be volunteering to pay more for less.

Iceburg 172FF
Got my 16GB iphone last week, absolutely love it. Exchange is great for work, some brilliant apps for it both free and paid. Browsing the internet on it is so easy, plus youtube app is great too. Stream your media collection from your PC to your iphone, VNC apps etc make it a winner for me. The only thing ive been dissapointed with and I hope they change in future updates is not allowing apps to run in the background like the instant messaging app, if they changed that I couldnt be happier

O2 don't work properly at mine, and for £26 I get a HSUPA datacard and unlimited data (properly unlimited) with unlimited WiFi, and any phone off T-Mobile's shop, with anywhere up to 1800 texts or 900 minutes, and unlimited data on that as well...

Maybe I'm just getting a rediculously good deal, but I certainly won't be volunteering to pay more for less.

ALL T-Mobile packages are fair use aren't they?
Link to web site? :p

Better than yours. C*nt.
DSC00088.jpg

The datacard tariff was before they introduced their tariffs with fair usage policies - unless I switch then I get to keep my 'true' unlimited - confirmed by a T-Mobile sales manager. The unlimited data on my phone I fear may be 10GB fair usage though, although really, what is there to download on a phone that's 10GB (and who has the patience to sit there and watch it!). Oh, and that £26 includes Sky Sports as well!

you see the minutes and texts etc arent a prob as per my first post. but not being able to send a load of photos etc via bluetooth to my comp?? thats behind the times if you ask me.

carphonewarehouse plus the rest are open tomorrow, so im going to sleep/drink on it. . .

im still not convinced that the novalty of it will not just wear off after a couple of days of use . . .

jamie

Better than yours. C*nt.
That's a shite picture, but I'm fucked if I'm getting out of bed now, I've just got in!

MY10 R35 GTR
I used my mate Iphone for first time the other day and quiet liked it. Easy to navigate and having the internet for emails would be great for work.

My main reason I wouldnt get one is I would never use itunes/mp3 function on it. So thats one main function on it i wouldnt use. And the fact its a pretty big beast to carry about, dont like the way you have to txt on it either.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The iPhone is better than any N series Nokia I have owned. I love browsing the net while away from home and on the iPhone that is a pleasure, on the Nokia's it is awful.

6/468 17poo
The iPhone is better than any N series Nokia I have owned. I love browsing the net while away from home and on the iPhone that is a pleasure, on the Nokia's it is awful.

played on a few iphones now and after having the n95 for just shy of 18months the iphone does seem alot better and net is s**t on most phones specially n95 so hard to use!

Ryan

Citroen DS3 DSport
The iPhone does have weaknesses but these are easily forgotten about or worked around by the number of features it does brilliantly.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i love my n95 does so so much. not a fan of the iphone its old news.

didnt nokia do the n91 with a 4gb and 8gb hard drive like 2 years ago? and that had more features than the iphone. granted the n91 isnt pretty

RB 182
When the iPhone comes out the pocket, people want to see it, not seen that with the N95 ;)

Have to agree it does have it's weaknesses but it does everything that I need it to do really, things like MMS I have only ever used a few times before on my old phone but now I just email pictures instead. Though the crap camera is the biggest let down for me.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Anyone been hacking their N95?

Can change all sorts within the firmware.

Bit of a gimmick but one of the things I've done is to get it to start up like Windows Xp, by changing the gif and sound from the Nokia handshake. Can install any app now too even if unsigned.

I don't care whether people want to see my phone or not. I buy it for myself not to look cool.

Besides, with both phones, so many people buy them without using 90% of it's potential. I probably use 95% of my phones potential.

Calls, texting/mss, decent camera with excellent videos, internet, wifi file sharing, gps with tomtom/garmin, push email with ability to open ms office/pdf files, mp3, radio, dvd playback, games, and loads of other apps.

For the most part, it's like do like apples or oranges.

SLK 350
Charge it daily and you'll be fine.

I use about 1.5 hours music a day, 1 hour of internet over 3G, exchange email constantly (80~ daily), 30 minutes games, 15 minutes calls.

Usually that leaves me with about 50% life left by the evening when it gets charged. In summary, light use probably upto 2 days max. Normal use charge daily.

@Chris, frankly I use all the iPhones features daily. Which is why I don't miss MMS etc, think I've sent about 4 of those in my lifetime. Everything the iPhone does it does pretty well, with exception of the lack of enterprise support.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I don't understand when people say this.

I never put my n95 down and charge mine every second night with it switched off the first night.

6/468 17poo
Still cannot decide, move from orange to 02 and get an iphone or stay with orange and wait till the n96 comes out decisions!

N95 does do alot, but mines seems to have got dog slow recently which is a right pain in the arse specially when ya need it quickly!battery isnt too bad on the n95

n96 has nothing new except more memory, isnt that right?

my main gripes with the iphone are that it seems to have been designed and pushed out too quickly. we have access to 5 and 8mp cameras on phones now, so a s**t 2mp?? sod off!! and no bluetooth file sharing, limited talk time and use. . . and i believe that the texting is quite slow?

it would be a gadget to piss about with when im bored with the internet. but the internet on the n95 isnt really that bad, connects automatically to my work and home wifi and facebook and this site work just fine.

but this said (yeah im going on a bit but only because i cant decide ;)) my god some of the apps and gizmo bits on the iphone are funking cool. the maps, the internet usability etc etc . . .

goooddd i just cant decide!

jamie

n96 has nothing new except more memory, isnt that right?

Not sure.. just seems like they'll try everything and.. uh, people will still prefer the iPhone :p
Same as the Zen MP3 players, and Sony ones, they're very good.. but it's not an iPod is it? ;) Same with phones.. awesome phone, but it's not an iPhone :p

my main gripes with the iphone are that it seems to have been designed and pushed out too quickly. we have access to 5 and 8mp cameras on phones now, so a s**t 2mp?? sod off!!

It's enough for a phone to be honest.. these 5mp camera phones, all good and well, but they don't really produce any great pictures - just a massive file. Lenses are still rubbish.

and no bluetooth file sharing,

I use e-mail for file transfer, including e-mailing photos etc.

limited talk time and use. . . and i believe that the texting is quite slow?

Texting and e-mailing is absolutely rapid once you can use the keyboard; the corrective typing is amazing. I use mine for full e-mail usage etc, and I don't write short e-mails.

it would be a gadget to piss about with when im bored with the internet. but the internet on the n95 isnt really that bad, connects automatically to my work and home wifi and facebook and this site work just fine.

Full browser on the iPhone - web sites look identical to how they would in IE/Mozilla, etc (No Flash tho). I NEVER, ever used my browser once on my old phone.. but I use it on the iPhone all the time.

but this said (yeah im going on a bit but only because i cant decide ;)) my god some of the apps and gizmo bits on the iphone are funking cool. the maps, the internet usability etc etc . . .

Yup.. and it's only going to get better ;)

goooddd i just cant decide!

Get one - they're awesome.. by far the best phone I've ever had..
I had a WM6 mobile for 4 months before getting rid - was awful.. one of the reasons I didn't get an iPhone straight away as it put me off so much! The iPhone is a different level of awesomeness tho ;)

jamie

Buy one :p

Citroen DS3 DSport
If I didn't own a iPhone I'd probably choose the Samsung i900 Omnia before I'd buy another N series phone.

6/468 17poo
After playing with a ipod touch today with wifi i think im sold the app store is freaking massive and like people say its only going to get better, apple aint gonna go bust they'll push out every application possible!

if it works with my alpine headunit think im sold!

Ryan