ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is a 172 Cup the car for me?

Trophy
Hi guys, new user here and this is my first post...

I'm currently in a bit of a dilema, I currently own a Racing Puma, which is nice but I fear it is a bit tooo nice for me, and a bit to flash and a bit of an overkill for what I use the car for (Going to work, trundling around town, motorway miles, and every so often a B-road blast :) )

I've also got a fear in the back of my mind that if anything goes kapput with the car it will be an expensive bill.

So, is the 172 Cup the car for me?.

You'll have to excuse my idleness, but i've tried to search but couldnt find anything but i'm assuming that it shares many of the parts with most other clios, and when buying just check for the normal things and that the cambelts been done.

Also, I've seen quite a few for sale on Pistonheads and Autotrader for circa 5.5k? Erm, that seems awfully cheap imo, is there somthing major that i'm

And finnaly, is it possible to run one for a year without getting your cheque book out? It seems with the somthing pops up as soon as somthing is just fixed

Any other advice would be ace guys, many thanks :)

Mountune Tractor
Personally I would say the cup would be a step up from the Puma.
Renaults haven't got the best reliability record but there are good one's out there to be had. 5.5k-6k would be the price to pay for a mint example.

Lionel Richie
loads have been crashed (no abs, and talentless drivers) (yes i crashed one! LOL!)

look for dodgy gearboxes (cruching into 3rd is a common problem, steer clear if you can unless the car is cheap)

apart from that look to see if it has the same tyres all round (many owners upgrade from the std 195/45 16 to 205/45 16)

wheels will be corroded, they all do it, so budget in a refurb

if it has an original exhaust it WILL fall off (most will have an aftermarket one)

apart from that look for accident damage

Shhh
I have a 2004 Clio 182, full fat in racing blue, shall be up forsale next week once i pick the 2nd car up.

Family forces sale, check the thread in the forsale section. I was after £7000, but the truth is id probably take nearer the £6400 mark as it shall need tyres all round and maybe rear disks in 10,000miles.

Its on 54,000miles, mainly motorway miles as im in the raf.

Regards,

Wayne

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Get one with a full service history, if it's 5 years old or done 72K then make sure it's had it's cambelt changed.

This year my 172 has cost me quite alot of money, with unexpected things going wrong, such as driveshafts, alternator. :dapprove:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A 172 Cup would be ideal for you. I've covered 91k in 3.5 years doing a similar mix of driving to you, and apart from a few mnior niggles it's performed 100% all the way both on and off track.

40+ mpg and 12k service intervals (I've done it every 6k from new) does not make a costly car to run.

Any inherent problems should have been solved by now, so just jump right in.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A 172 Cup would be ideal for you. I've covered 91k in 3.5 years doing a similar mix of driving to you, and apart from a few mnior niggles it's performed 100% all the way both on and off track.

40+ mpg and 12k service intervals (I've done it every 6k from new) does not make a costly car to run.

Any inherent problems should have been solved by now, so just jump right in.

Well done that man. Thats how a cup is supposed to be used.:clap:

i'm new to the CupClub and would recommend taking someone who knows what they're about with you if you've a particular car in mind.. i mean that seriously too - there are some, potentially, v expensive problems out there..

go over it *thoroughly*; mechanicals as well as the usual visual cosmetic checks. forget about AA/RAC checks - they don't even take the wheels off;)

test drive quite a few before diving in. i bought mine with the intention of tracking/sprinting it as a continuation of my hobby; they're very raw as a road car (IMO) and i think there's a lot of sense in considering the FF if you're not going to track

good luck with it. amazing car. sh*t gearbox..

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with Mark Cup. My Mk2 172 is now on over 75K and does alot of motorway B road miles. And apart from the driveshafts and alternator going and having both the 72K service and cambelt done this year, it's a cheap fast frugal great little car.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Fletch, what signs did you get that the driveshafts were on the way out? Just that i am trying (desperately!) to find the source of a noise i have on mine and one suspicion of mine is the drivers side driveshaft...although i bloody well hope it isn't!

172 cup (again)
Hi Mate

I went from an FRP to my cup (52/2002) 2 years ago and have not looked back, the cup I purchased had a FRSH and 20k on the clock, ive put an exhaust on it as the original rusted off, 2 new headlight bulbs, discs and pads all round, 4 tyres and the usual service costs which are cheaper than what i paid for the puma servicing. Im having the cambelt changed in September which is only £420 at a local dealer. The car now has 40k on it

I loved the Puma but it cost me so much money in maintenance, the brakes (4 pot alcon calipers) were a nightmare, warping discs every few months which cost £400 to replace, the car was an awesome drive with handling as good as my trophy but I couldnt justify spending that amount of money on it so often, the cup had excellent reviews on this forum and I went out and got one after looking at 3. I never wanted a FF172 purely for the fact they look the same as a 1.2 dynamique. The cup stands out.

The cup is faster, more economical and cheaper to maintain than my old FRP. I drive around 25 miles a day to and from work and can make do without the toys a FF offers

I do miss the puma an awful lot but i need a reliable car for every day use and the cup ticks all the boxes for me and has never let me down.

gen 7 celica
No point getting a cup unless ure driving it hard. get a ff so you have all the toys and the look. (Just my opinion i dont want to start a war)

Mondeo TDCI 130
No point getting a cup unless ure driving it hard. get a ff so you have all the toys and the look. (Just my opinion i dont want to start a war)

but you have a better look in the cup?? its the best colour..... (runs and hides) only jokin people!!;)

Trophy
I went and looked at the first one for me yesterday. Tbh, it was the first time I'd really looked at one in detail and they are actually pretty damn sexy.

For the price the guy was offering it at, it was a steal as it seemed, mint. But i'll have to sell my car first.

The thing that blew me away though was the feedback through the steering wheel, it was imense. The FRP has an amazing amount of grip, and instant responses to slight movement in the wheel, but has not a great deal of feedback. With the 172, it felt like you could pretty much tell exactly what the wheels at the front of the car were doing and although I didnt push it hard all the signs coming from the car were telling me to buy one! :)

So yes, the 172 Cup is the car for me

Clio 172 Cup
I love my 172 cup. went from some shitty nissan to this and omg in 3 yrs i've yet to experience anything for as much fun for the price u can get a 172 cup! i''ve test drove the 197 an yes it has some extras but it doesnt compete in fun levels! I love my cup an wont give it up just yet! xx

Clio 172 mk2
I think the feedback/handling is what makes the Cliosports such a fun car to drive....not outright speed.

172 cup
The 172 cup is an amazing car for the price. Bought mine 3 months ago for £5700, its a 53 reg with on 27k on the clock.

All it's cost me so far is £120 for 2 new front tyres after a track day. Having said that I drive it to work every day and average 37mpg. Not many cars can do that and be great fun on track!