ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is a DCI reliable?

2016 Audi RS3
Considering a DCI as a commuting vehicle/shopping trolley. Are they reliable, if not what generally goes wrong and is it easy to repair?

Are they as economical as the figures suggest?

Ben

RB 200 Cup!
brilliant cars tbh - had the use of a 1.5 dci 80bhp on and off for a while and was fantastic

economical aswell even when thrashing it

2016 Audi RS3
What sort of mpg were you achieving? The 80hp version is the most ecomonical of the three isn't it?

RB 200 Cup!
i imagine the 65bhp would be the most economical but in the 80 was easily getting around the 600 mile mark per tank

RS CLIO 197
had dci80 - just brilliant - never missied a beat - only had heater plugs done under warranty - do 60mpg

got a company megane dci 106 - never missed a beat and does 58-60mpg

only issue i have heard about is egr valves can go faulty

Clio MK III Dci 106
I have had 2 x MK II Clio DCI's, both 65bhp.

The first 1 was a 2004, would get 52mpg in town driving 58-60mpg on a long journey. I found this car when running from cold always felt the engine was always gonna cut out until it was fully warmed up.

The second was a 2005, and would do 56mpg in town and 60-65mpg on a long journey. These figures was based on brim to brim filling of the fuel tank.

My father had a DCI 80bhp for 3 years, and he was getting up to 72mpg.

I now have a MKIII DCI 106bhp and struggle to get more than 48mpg.

I have never had a problems with the DCI, and my father hasn't either. He is currently driving a MKII 65bhp with 120k on it.

Clio 182
As long as you make sure they're kept properly serviced and oil changes etc and don't trash them until up to temperature there shouldn't be any major problems.

And yes, very economical. I've seen over 80mpg average over a 15 mile country road journey before, remap probably helps alot too

Clio DCi 65
My DCi has been pretty good for me over the last 2.5 years,

Gets me from a-b and find it nippy at times! Good for tax - £35yearly and awesom mpg.

RB 200 Cup!
if you get one and it ever goes wrong my mates a senior reno tech so can sort any probs very cheap for you ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As long as you make sure they're kept properly serviced and oil changes etc and don't trash them until up to temperature there shouldn't be any major problems.

And yes, very economical. I've seen over 80mpg average over a 15 mile country road journey before, remap probably helps alot too

The whole point of having a diesel car is so you can thrash them from cold!

It certainly didn't do mine any harm.

Clio 182
The whole point of having a diesel car is so you can thrash them from cold!

It certainly didn't do mine any harm.

Maybe if there's no turbo, but I'm no expert
Mine seems about 10-15% more efficient when warmed up and I read that they can have turbo problems if abused all the time when cold

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Maybe if there's no turbo, but I'm no expert
Mine seems about 10-15% more efficient when warmed up and I read that they can have turbo problems if abused when cold

Considering the turbo will warm up pretty much instantly (exhaust gases will always be super hot) whoever told you that probably doesn't know their arse from their alternator lol.

Diesels don't run rich when they're cold so they're much more economical than petrols for short journeys, a warm engine will be more economical though (hence your 10-15% more efficient when warm not being the 100% more that a petrol would be).

1.5dci 80bhp
I have the 80bhp dci and get around 50mpg around town which isn't bad as I live in Portsmouth with the 20mph zones on a run I see 60+mpg and as others have said £35 a year for road tax.

Mk3 SX
Had 2 dci's so far. Mk2 which i had for 3 years and got 65mpg at any one time. now moved up to the Mk3 dci 106 and was getting around 55mpg until i had a service at 18000 miles and now am getting 64.5mpg which i am amazed at especially as it does shift if you put your foot down.

p.s. i had always had petrol cars before my first clio dci and i must say i do like them very much. the Mk2 65mhp was a bit sluggish but the Mk3 106 does move it's arse very well and very nice to drive nice power delivery and quiet too.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I have had 5 DCI 65's as company cars so you can imagine how they got driven.Not once did they let me down, in fact I would go as far to say if i have to down grade to a Derv at some stage i would not hesitate in getting another.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive had 2 so far the first as a cheap runabout for winter when my 172 was having a few bits done, 155,000 miles, 2001 51 plate, no service history, hammered all winter from cold, handbrake turns in the snow and ended up in a ditch, sorted it, pilled another load of miles on it, and it was bullet proof, gearbox gave up in the end but gearbox oil had never been changed lol used to do 80mpg on the motorway at 60mph behind trucks lol never saw it drop under 55mpg even hammering it around town.

2nd one i paid a bit more for as a work tool as i have a 60mile trip each day to work. 2004 plate DCi 100, same 1.5 turbo diesel engine as the last one just with a few differences (turbo, intercooler, diesel pump, injectors etc) does 60mpg every day on teh way to work and thats driving quite quick, 150lb/ft of torque when needed too!

add that onto £300 a year to insure it, £35 a year to tax it, 18,000 miles service intervals (although they like regular oil and filter changes so i do mine every 6-7k if i have time)

get yourself registered on www.cliodci.net if you have any questions, were building up a community dedicated to these cars and looking to try and get a large member base