ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is anyone eles Miffed at the silver cup

i dont know bout you ,but i dont think renault should of done a silver cup at all. U can instanly reconise a cup cos of the blue colour but not nemore! Before we know it they be doing cherry red ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!its not rite

I heard a rumour that they were stopping the 172, maybe soon the cup will be the only option. hence the fact they have started offering options such as air con and a choice of colours.....

Renault Laguna Coupe

LOL - you should worry! To start with the original 172 was only available in Silver, then after about 6 months they decided to supply it in a choice of loads of different colours.

Sunflower Yellow Cup anyone?

Quote: Originally posted by Sport172 on 19 June 2003

I heard a rumour that they were stopping the 172, maybe soon the cup will be the only option. hence the fact they have started offering options such as air con and a choice of colours.....
jeremy townsend confirmed Cups stop getting made before the end of the year.

Its not a cup - its silver and called the RS PS2 and its only available in France! Its like a Billabong except a collaberation between Sony and Renault! A good collaberation at that! Its a silver cup in the fact it has all the traits and trimmings of le cup but in silver so its gonna look more like a Mk2 172 - to be perfectly honest with you I think Renault are going a bit too far - they should just bring down the price of the 172 and they would go like nothing else! They always do this when a model is due for r4eplacement - a good way og shifting end of line stock without having to kill a few 1000 more cows for extra leather - just shove cheapo seats etc in to a standard 172 sprayed shell...........brilliant but ruthless marketing! If its cheaper than £12995 again, it is defo a bargain!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 19 June 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Sport172 on 19 June 2003

jeremy townsend confirmed Cups stop getting made before the end of the year.
That stamps on the head of that one then !!

Erm, AFAIK the PS2 is something different. Go to Renault.co.uk and customise your cup, silver is an option, also, someone else is purchasing a silver cup from a dealer on this board.

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 19 June 2003

LOL - you should worry! To start with the original 172 was only available in Silver, then after about 6 months they decided to supply it in a choice of loads of different colours.

Doesnt Kis172 drive a yellow 172? *shrug*

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by JamesGTT on 19 June 2003

Doesnt Kis172 drive a yellow 172? *shrug*
Yep, and damn fine it looks too. I was disappointed that I couldnt have that colour on my Mk2.

dust told me he has just ordered a silver cup and from this country. So assume they can be bought in silver here now!

RSTDL - the Cup is the name used in the UK. In France it is the Ragnotti. The Silver is available now in the UK and France. In France it is sold as a joint promotion with PS2. It is the same car its not a Billabong! I dont see what the problem is with a Cup in Iceberg, if you dont like it dont buy it. Yes the Cup production finishes at the end of the year, therefore if you want a bargain at £13000 buy it now ! The Cup in Iceberg has the fascia inserts from the normal 172 in the aluminium-type finish

Never said it was a billabong Jes! Was comparing the joint venture of Sony and Renault as with Renault and Billabong/MTV etc. And never said it bothered me either - its just the yellow 172 bagdes on the door pillar will be a bit lost and the cup will always be asscociated now with the mondial blue!

The whole point of a special edition is that it is different. Remember the GT Turbo Raider? The MK1 172 Exclusive? Doing the CUP in silver is stupid and anyone who buys one will have to put up with "Thats not a real CUP" accusations all the time. Just look at how long its taking for the enthusiasts on this board to learn about them being available in the new colour.

Exactly - never more so than now will it be "thats a Mk2 without the goodies" wheras the cup in blue was kinda different due to the colour and marketing hype! I dont think it should be called a CUP172 coz it aint, just like a silver williams if they had made one wouldnt have been a true williams! But whatever tickles I spose! Can you order these cliosport pens in Mondial blue finish and without all the luxuries - I dont really need the shirt clip on mine and Im sure the cliosport logo would help with loosing weight!

hmmmmm - Id rather that suggestion was not made actually Mike!!! Mine is rare, not a limited edition, not a "special" just very rare - and I like that !!! :D

Although if I decided to buy a cup it might be a nice option!!! :cool:

All I can say is I hope they stop production soon as the are heading the Saxo way - I have 2 x 172s on my street at work and 1 x Cup!!

Quote: Originally posted by jonm on 20 June 2003

The whole point of a special edition is that it is different. Remember the GT Turbo Raider? The MK1 172 Exclusive? Doing the CUP in silver is stupid and anyone who buys one will have to put up with "Thats not a real CUP" accusations all the time. Just look at how long its taking for the enthusiasts on this board to learn about them being available in the new colour.

I can guarantee 99% of the population dont even know what a Clio 172 Cup is

I agree with you RobFenn loads of people ive spoke to dont no what a clio cup is!!!!

Rob.

Ps. I think you work at the same offices as my girlfreind she saw your cliosport sticker and the number plate "N2O CUP" Told me and i recognised......

Rob.

Quote: Originally posted by kis172 on 20 June 2003

hmmmmm - Id rather that suggestion was not made actually Mike!!! Mine is rare, not a limited edition, not a "special" just very rare - and I like that !!! :D

Although if I decided to buy a cup it might be a nice option!!! :cool:

paaah common colour - lol

Quote: Originally posted by rwaterman on 20 June 2003

I agree with you RobFenn loads of people ive spoke to dont no what a clio cup is!!!!

Rob.

Ps. I think you work at the same offices as my girlfreind she saw your cliosport sticker and the number plate "N2O CUP" Told me and i recognised......

Rob.

YES ive been spotted! Where abouts does she live/work?

VW Potato

ive said this before but...given the Williams fiasco, does it really as much of a surprise that the Cup might be available in another colour?

To be honest, who buys a car because it is exclusive. You bought Williams and Cups because they are great to drive; being exclusive must have been pretty low down on the list unless you have a perverse desire to use oneupmanship to help boost your ego.

g