ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it normal for a water pump to 'go' after 1 year?

I've just had someone come and look at my Clio and they came with a mechanic, he reckons the water pump has gone because water was coming from under the car.

I got my belts changed last January (2011) and asked for the water pump to be changed too. Can they go that quick?
Is it even the water pump?

Yeh. I said it was air con and he said he checked it.

Would it still be on if the AC button was on but the fan was off?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I reckon its the a/c, and the guy is trying to blag money off the car.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Was a genuine water pump used? I was undert he impression none genuine ones are proper crap, so could have broke already.

Also if your coolant level is not going down it's not leaking.

Was a genuine water pump used? I was undert he impression none genuine ones are proper crap, so could have broke already.

Also if your coolant level is not going down it's not leaking.

I honestly don't know.

The car never gets driven so the coolant hasn't gone down.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
1.2 16v's do leak from the pump, even when the pump isn't very old. it's an hour and a half tops to change.

do the belts have to be removed? Sorry if silly question.

The bloke also reckons the belt you can see (looking down left hand side of engine) is very old and not new. What belt is that?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yes it's cambelt off to change the water pump.

the aux belt is literally 5 minutes to change and costs about £8