ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth converting to a 1.6?????

02 1.2 Dynamique Clio
Ive got a 2002 1.2 Dynamique right now...and as every 18 year old does...I just want to go faster, my plan is to save up for a while and eventually get a 182 but that will probably be a while off because of insurance and all that malark...but i saw this ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-RENAULT-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 ) earlier today and just wondered if it would be worth converting it to a 1.6?? Seeming as i would have to re-do my insurance and re-register it and all of that. But as I said before, Im bored of my slow clio!

Cheers in advance!

Hendo

Porsche Boxster987S
NO
leave the 1.2 and save as much as you can for your next car. If anything do some subtle mods but dont go ott with money

If your planning to buy a 182 in a few years just wait and save the cash so you can the 182 outright.

However if your desperate for more spped, check your insurance before you buy.

02 1.2 Dynamique Clio
Just buy a 1.6?

yea...but ive got a few imperfections with mine that I want to get fixed before I sell the whole car, so I can get the most for it...this just be a short term solution to my boredom! lol

corsa ecoflex
Stick with the 1.2 mate,get it sorted out and run it for a while longer until you get a few years no claims and then get a 182....Its really not worth doing the conversion as most insurance companies wont insure you

visualize whirled pe
No, I've got a 1.6 and I would advise you that to do the upgrade is a waste of your cash.
You're only young, just keep saving for what you want and get that in a couple of years, you may have changed your mind by then, but at least you'll still have your money.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
like said, it's not want you want to hear, but dont do it!

will cost alot and no one will want to buy it when you come to sell it! it'll just turn into a money pit and wont be all that fast anywhy

the 1.2 clio int bad for a 1st car, just save up get get a few years of drivin under your belt!

then get a 182 and go crazy;)

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Chances are if u put a 1.6 in it ull "want to go faster" and ull end up smashing it up meaning ur insurance will go sky high and ull have no chance of getting a 182 till ur at least 25. Trust me mate i know iv been there done that!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i was going to do mine, even had an engine and exhaust for it, didnt bother in the end as its just as much hastle to do it as it is to do a 2.0 16v conversion.

i fitted a full apex suspension kit, brembo disks and greenstuff pads to my mates 1.2 16v at the weekend, he got 4 Eagle F1's fitted today and i took it a blast down a backroad and it was brilliant fun to drive, at the really twisty bits of the backroad it was cornering just as quick if not quicker than my 172 does!

clio 03 1.6 16v
Sorry but i have to disagree guys, going from the 1.2 to the 1.6 is a massive differance!
BUT.. telling your insurance will pump it up to extreemness..
i have the 1.6 and i love it, its a quick wee car and it suprises people in other cars, but if its a costly conversion just keep ur cash.. if u can get it done cheaply its well worth it mate..

Evo 8 MR
A few hundred quid to buy it and a few hundred to pay someone to fit it for you. Certainly a lot cheaper than buying a new car and you can sell your 1.2 engine and get some money back off of that.

Then you still have to inform the isurance that your car now has a 1.6 in it, gonna rape you for an engine change regardless of size at 18.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
It's still over a grand.

I got quoted £700 today on a 52 plate Zetec-s Fiesta. £300 cheaper than my 1.4 16v Clio. WHY?!

visualize whirled pe
It's still over a grand.

I got quoted £700 today on a 52 plate Zetec-s Fiesta. £300 cheaper than my 1.4 16v Clio. WHY?!

Cheaper parts means that the vehicle would cost less to repair, perhaps some statictics that show fiesta's are crashed / nicked less. Maybe the value of the vehicle is less so a total loss payout would be cheaper for them to settle?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
It's still over a grand.

Cheaper parts means that the vehicle would cost less to repair, perhaps some statictics that show fiesta's are crashed / nicked less. Maybe the value of the vehicle is less so a total loss payout would be cheaper for them to settle?

It's newer, more powerful and it's a sporty Fiesta, they get nicked all the bloody time.

I'm 20 with a write off to my name, not a bad price. Thinking of getting rid of the stinking french shite that is my Clio. Fed up with it breaking all the bloody time.

Evo 8 MR

It's newer, more powerful and it's a sporty Fiesta, they get nicked all the bloody time.

I'm 20 with a write off to my name, not a bad price. Thinking of getting rid of the stinking french s**te that is my Clio. Fed up with it breaking all the bloody time.

What you doing buying a ford then?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Yes, Ford and Yam went in together on the 1.2-1.7 Zetec-s range.

Power wise? Yeah, standard, looks like there's loads of easy mod though. Unlike Clio's which are neigh on impossible to squeeze anything out of.

ollie get it right

Mitsi got yamaha to design them an engine
mitsi didnt use it
ford bought them coz they met there immediate demand needs

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
i love my 1.6!

u also have to take into consideration how long it will take u to save the cash for a 182.. if it's gonna be a few years yet, tidy examples will be hard to find.

B4 u switch also look at tax, the 1.6 will be in region of £180 this year, and compared to ur 1.2 the fuel costs will be thru the roof

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
ive got a 1.6 which is great but wouldnt covert one. might aswell just buy one or save

ValverInBits
No, Your bored of 1.2 power. You will quickly get bored of 1.6 power

Im getting bored of F4R power. It's an ongoing thing!
Just wait. Or sell your car for something of similar power, but older and lighter ;)