ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth it - Disks and Pads

Clio RS200 Cup
Right, so I'm expecting that before the close of the year I will need new disks and pads. What I would like to do is slowly collect all the parts over the coming months so that I only have fitting to pay for when the change comes. My only problem is deciding what to go for. For starters I'm not out to do this on a budget however I don't want to waste money either, I want to make sure I see the best of the money I spend.

I've have some excellent help from George of RTR who confirmed that DS2500 pads front and back and MK2 RenaultSport Megane R26R groved disks front and back would be a good set up for myself as an aggressive road user hoping to do a couple track days. My only concern being, is it worth it when compared to other set ups. For instances the DS2500 will come to £230 front and back whereas I could get OEM Brembo pads for £80 back and front, what is that extra £150 going to give me, will I even notice the difference? Don't get me wrong if it transforms the braking of the car I'll be happy to pay it but if the difference is marginal I'd rather save the money. The same question for the disks as well, £400 for the R26R disks and £200 for OEM Brembo front and back, how much better will they be for double the price?

Any help or past experiences would be great.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
For general road use, OE stuff will be fine.

No point in the R26 rears as all you gain is some drilling/grooving. The rears only do 20-30% of the brakign so it's a pointless upgrade.

If you were going to do a bit of track work then the DS2500 would be worth it, but if not then OE all the way in my opinion.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
There is a level of pub talk about Jen, but you could just lie as no ones gonna take you wheels off and check..

Ds2500 are pukka and operate well from cold, but cheaper operate better from cold.. They really aren't necessary unless you drive like a Cnut on UK road..

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I just checked the prices for the ds2500 for the front... £125...

I got them because I raped the cheap set I have previously, which made me go overkill.. I wouldn't fit them again..

The pubtalkers will insist on it, but I have them and they are at that amazing on the road.. When we got the Clio 182 new, the OE brakes we're awesome, it was the cheap sh1te I fitted that were cack.

Clio RS200 Cup
Thanks guys for the input, I've decided that I'm going to go OEM on everything other than DS2500 on the fronts. Most previous posts pretty much say that unless you'll be on the track more than 1 or 2 times a year the complete OEM setup will be more than fine, I just fancied something a little "special" and different with the DS2500 on the front.

Suzuki Jimny
'Aggressive road user' was the highlight.

Make sure you get your fluid changed as well, no point upgrading if you've still got old fluid.

Clio RS200 Cup
I never found the DS2500 much of an upgrade over standard.
Worst case I've spunked an extra £100 on them, I've done worst.

'Aggressive road user' was the highlight.
Make sure you get your fluid changed as well, no point upgrading if you've still got old fluid.

Well with all these people holding me up on the roads how else am I going to overtake :innocent: Thanks for that, might as well get that changed, how much will I need? Also worth getting braided brake lines?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've had the ds2500 on previous clios, it's not a pad I would buy again. I run the mintex 1155 on my newly acquired phase 1 and they are superb even from cold. I've also run them on my old car on track and they were probably the best pad I've used