ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my car a cup?

Clio 172
I have just bought a clio 172,

2003, black, looks like a standard 172.

But its got the cup badges on the pillar, looks factory fitted to me, did they do some different coloured cars in cup form or am I just looking like a knob driving round with cup badges for no reason

Cheers

WRX
Blue or silver from factory. What interior has it got, also check other Cup only specs. No ABS etc. Doubtful but if it is a cup then it's definitely had a respray. Otherwise someone's just stuck the badges on.

Clio 172
Nah its got all the standard 172 bits, just wondered if they ever did a hybrid as I know they did with my old cars.

But yeah, definately not a cup, still handles pretty well! Rather impressed with it tbh, going to take it to Ren-Tech to get checked over.

Clio 172
I can understand newbie questions frustrations :p and being blunt. I don't mind.

One quick one, if my dephaser is going, (I'm not sure, might be? But I have nothing to compare it too, i'll get a video up soon) Will it cost the earth to change just that? as the cambelt and aux belt were done in like july! but they didn't do the pulley,

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Needs it all off again. Cam pullies should probably be OK, but would put another belt on for the price of them while its all off anyways

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Yeah, it would be an Aux-belt job again - so not the whole cam belt & aux belt kits. The pulley is approx £130 and you'll need a new belt as it will have stretched/bedded in, they're £10/£15. I reckon you'll be alright with the tensioners etc that were installed in July - someone more qualified than me may correct me though...

If you're taking it to Ren-Tec, ask them how much they can do it for - might even be able to source the pulley & belt cheaper too?

Clio 172
Ah thats not too bad then, i'll get them to let me know tbh might be alright who knows. but if it needs doing then i'll get it done, might as well get everything sorted so I know the car is completley fine and I can drive it without too much worry.

Although i'll just pop out now and get a vid, see what you all think..

Clio 172
Appreciate it if you could have a listen, think it sounds a little exaggerated in the video but who knows.

th_00021.jpg

Flame 172 (Ph2)
What was your last car? From your name I'm going to guess at an MG ZS?

From listening to your video your car seems to idle okay to me and sounds pretty much like mine, but I've not have a dephaser conk out on me badly. I had mine changed pretty much as soon as I got the car, Mick @ Diamond said that it was just starting to go but I'd never noticed any noise difference before or after - probably because it didn't reach severity!

Hopefully someone who's had a duff dephaser will be able to recognise any tell tale noises (if there are any)...

Clio 172
Yeah the car was cold so i'll get a vid warm, see how it sounds.

Fiesta ZS, I've only ever owned fiesta in my 4 years of driving, Two Mk3 Si's and a Mk5 ZS. Should really get my name changed or something lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you can change your username yourself once a year from the user control panel accessed through the settings link at the top of the forum, then go into user profile ;)

Flame 172 (Ph2)
Aaah, Zetec-S, with ya. Well you're 172 will feel very spritely in comparison then :)

And yeah, you can change your username - so no need to create a whole new account.

Enjoy!

330i. E30 Touring.
You can't tell if a dephaser is knackered until the engine is warm.

You'll get what can only be described as a rattle on idle that disappears when you blip the throttle.

Most 1*2's are a bit ticky IMO..