ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is my car dead?!

clio 16v
on my way home last night i was having a bit of a play with a bmw untill i started to hear a knocked/tapping noise at high revs on acceleration then just as i got home the oil light came on and the engine cut out.. it would turn over but wouldnt start?!

i am bracing myself for the worst but do u have any idea wat could be the problem? its a 16v by the way

cheers

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
id say it was a valver as they are often called 16vs

have you checked to see if there is any oil in it, any holes in the block?
any steam out of the exhaust when it went?

Mondeo TDCI 130
id say it was a valver as they are often called 16vs

have you checked to see if there is any oil in it, any holes in the block?
any steam out of the exhaust when it went?

That would make sense i suppose! how many miles has it done?

clio 16v
thanks for the quick replies...

yea sorry its a 1.8 16v (valver) MK1... phase2 i think?! its done quite high milage on 115k i think and i checked the oil after the light came on and no.. dont think their was much in it although the gauage was on over half?

oh and no steam that i saw and i couldnt see any holes in the block but i was pretty dark

Mondeo TDCI 130
So there is no oil on the dipstick at this moment?? It sounds pretty serious mate, if it was low enough on oil to be rattling etc, it will prop be damaged!

BMW F31
have you put oil in it now??

have you checked to see if the all the other levels etc are ok?

have you tried turning it over?

clio 16v
no not tried putting oil in it yet as i had to abandon the car and walk home! will try that 2mo, would lack of oil prevent it from starting?

My mate was driving his old 206 round for ages with very little oil in it. (a bit of dust on the dipstick and he was okay.) probs for about 200 miles

I guess you can only try sticking some in and hoping for the best.

2002 172
shells are piss to change in them anyway. dont need engine out, just take the sump off and crank out and its a doddle. though if the pistons and rings are fucked it will get expensive, though they are done through the sump too. you may need a head rebuild as the hydraulic lifters will have been starved of oil and therefore be extemely noisey.

clio 16v
i just dont get why it was only tapping at high revs though, i cant have been driving it without oil for long either?! guess i will just have to wait and see wat the garage says. thanks for all your replies, il keep you posted!

LY 182
shells are piss to change in them anyway. dont need engine out, just take the sump off and crank out and its a doddle. though if the pistons and rings are f**ked it will get expensive, though they are done through the sump too. you may need a head rebuild as the hydraulic lifters will have been starved of oil and therefore be extemely noisey.
you dont need the crank out to change shells?
you may aswell take the engine out if your doing that as its gearbox and cambelt off

53 Clio's & counting
word of advise never trust the oil level guage,both my old valvers would say half on the guage and in reality would be min on the dipstick

clio 16v
yea well i have learnt that now lol...

my mate came and had a look at it today and told me that the bottom end has gone...

is this expensive?
how much am i looking at?
can i just get a second hand bottom end and replace it with that?

any ideas?