ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my diff on it’s way out

The Jinx

Theres a noise thats returned, having not been present for a few months or so.

When everythings cold theres a loud gear noise when you first set off and it happens at slow speed when moving off until everythings warmed up.

Its particularly noisy when turning left. It sounds like that noise you get when you stick your car in reverse.

I noticed last night that it still does it when cold but its much quieter and it was only when turning left. The pitch rises and falls as you speed up/slow down.

Is my diff on its way out or is it likely to be something else?

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

Change the gearbox oil and see if the noise gets better/worse, also if you can get under the car check the diff to see if it moves side to side in the gearbox housing think its called endfloat lol it should hardly move, mine did lots when the diff went lol
I hate valver gearboxes i have had 4 altogether now first one lasted 2 months and was in the car when i had bought it, then the second three months until the diff went and the third... well all of about 100yds b4 it threw the pin in the middle of the diff out of the casing, and 4th is a good box but its out of a 1.9 diesel clio and my car doesnt pull as well as it used to in 5th as it does like 25mph per 1000rpm will be alright hopefully when i get my megane bottom end hopefully itll pull a little better in top lol

Dave

The Jinx

TheJesus used to have a 1.9D box in his willy. Mad stuff!

What does the diff look like? I know where the box is.

Could it be a wheel bearing or CV joint instead? Thing is when I set off in the morning the car is parked on a very slight slope, and I leave the space nearly straight on and this is when the noise is loudest.

Ive heard a failing diff before thinking about it and it made more of a wheezy high pitched whine but only when pushing it on long left handers.

The noise definitely went when it had new box oil though.

If the diff was worn they generally make a whining noise that will steadily get louder as speed increases.

A failed diff will make all kinds of clunking, grating noises and also get louder as speed increases.

Could also be a wheel bearing?

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

best bet is to get it up on the ramps and have a look see, like mark said they do all kinds of things when there about to go pop, i thought mine originally was a cv joint until i got underneath it...
if u say the noise went when u changed the oil in the g/box then check the level to make sure its ok as gearbox oil levels are ofter forgot about and if left to run low... well things let go...

im hoping when i finally get my 2.0ltr conversion that itll go nicely with the diesel g/box ;)

Dave

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

so the noise changes with speed?

does it get louder if you apply more throttle?

does the noise quiten if you free wheel in nuetral?

does the noise occur in every gear?

The Jinx

Noise is only noticable in 1st and 2nd. Happens on the straight ahead and when turning left. Its like a graunching noise that increases with revs yes, but only up to about 2-3000rpm in first.

Its at its loudest when leaving my car park at home. THe car is parked on a slight slope and when I move forward thats when its at its worst.

BTW its good to see you on here again Jay.