ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my gearbox about to go?

Shitting my self abit to be fair, not had the best ownership experiences so far to be honest.

Bought the car the other week, obviously test drove it over various roads, speeds and conditions all felt fine. Bonnet catch failed on second day, £900 repair job Then on
Saturday as I was driving I noticed the car sort of clicked ( not a grind) into third - the change just wasnt as smooth, it only seems to happen on the downshift, as the car is cold, so obviously the car isn't being driven hard when it happens. Also only seems to do it occasionally.

If it is going is there anything I can do before it dies fully? Something cheaper than replacing the whole gearbox?

275 Trophy
Bad times mate. Not sure if you are aware, but the bonnet catches were the subject of a recall due to them not being lubed up. Did you get this from a dealer? Guess not due to age.

What's the service record like on this car? IIRC, the gearbox isn't even listed in any Renault service literature for oil changes so it might be worth getting this done. I can imagine many ph1's are still running round with the original oil which won't be much use now.

Also, be aware that the gearboxes on these are probably thier weakest point and don't take abuse well at all. Don't rush the changes. Hope the experience improves for you soon.

Clio 182
i agree, first stop would be to change the oil. Back in my vag days everyone raved on about 'redline MTL' as a good oil for getting rid of 'notchy' changes. Sorry to hear your having a rough time. I bought a 182 3 weeks ago and by friday morning it will have cost me £1285 boo!

Yeah I knew about the catch and had booked the car in to get it checkeed out. (As I didn't know, how I'd know whether it was done(if that makes sense)

It has a fairly lengthy service history, but not a full one unfortunately. I'll get looking at changing the gearbox oil then cheers guys.

Listerine & Poledo
Problems with 3rd are the beginning of the end for a gearbox I've been told.
Syncho's are made of rice paper and you'll end up rev-matching to get 3rd without a fight.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Gearbox's are crap, mine has crunched, grinded everything since i bought it on 11k.

Listerine & Poledo
Gearbox's are crap, mine has crunched, grinded everything since i bought it on 11k.

Do you have toi massage it into 3rd if you've got any revs on the dial?

I'm weighing up a gearbox refurba nd new clutch from JMS, but not sure yet

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
3rds actually my best gear, it's the others that are crap.

172/1.2/E30
Gearbox rebuild isn´t that expensive! Talk to Agency Transmission in Worcester. Paid just below 300 quid. Perfect and quick service!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I think mine grind's a little on the downshift from 3rd to 2nd, topping the oil up seems to sort it right out as mine leaked a little all over the drive ;)

A longer 5th would surely be beneficial in today's fuel nightmare. Nothing too dramatic but still, the engines got enough pull to cope with a solid reduction in rpm?

Been a while since I've been in one, so need reminding about the rpm/mph at say 80mph. I will be buying again before summers out and will be going through Europe, so a touring gear would pay for itself and a reconditioning within a year.

275 Trophy
Would a longer 5th even be effective for reducing fuel consumption? Surely it's a 6th you would need? I can imagine you'd need to rev the nuts off in 4th before changing, thus negating any savings you would make with the longer 5th?

172/1.2/E30
if you rev the nuts off in 4th, you would already be above the uk speedlimit...

FFS, 70 mph limit, how can you guys live with that!? :eek:

Listerine & Poledo
Would a longer 5th even be effective for reducing fuel consumption? Surely it's a 6th you would need? I can imagine you'd need to rev the nuts off in 4th before changing, thus negating any savings you would make with the longer 5th?

Nah, the only time you'd notice any kind of performance issue is if you're changing up at the red-line every time, but how often are you going to be turning 7k in 4th?

Focus ST-2
Nobody goes above 70 and if you do it's only once..........you just never come back under that.

My mates track car has the third gear crunch, if you're slow with the change and blip the throttle on a downshift it won't crunch.