ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my gearbox on its way out?

VX220
Most my driving is short trips. At the start of the year i had to drive to bristol and on the way home the box sounded noisy. I changed the oil and everything seemed fine. Yesterday i had to drive to Bath and once on the M4 the box sounded noisy. Sounded like it was vibrating heavy on overrun and by the time i got home it was horrid. Originally i thought the clutch was on its way out as reverse shudders very badly but now i think its the box.
Scrappy video....

Is it rebuild time/or scrap it time?

Last edited by a moderator:
  VX220
How difficult of job is it to change? Only have axel stands. Would it be worth changing the clutch at the same time?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
How difficult of job is it to change? Only have axel stands. Would it be worth changing the clutch at the same time?

Yeah it's not easy, I wouldn't be able to do it on my own,
luckily through CS i've made mates that could easily do it and would come over and help me,
I bought a new clutch to go in mine when I changed it.

If you got yours rebuilt, you'd still have to pay for it to be removed, then refitted, on top of the rebuild,
that little lot would add up very quickly, it would be cheaper to buy a second hand box and fit that.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on your budget,
the JC5 130 I bought was £275 and 10k miles newer than my old one,
it's done a track day and 2 drag days where it's been subjected to burnouts and 7k rpm gear changes,
i've hammered it as much as you can and it's still going strong 3 years later and that's on a daily driver.

Last edited:
100% box. New clutch too as its silly not to.

Removal and refitting with new clutch id say border line £450

Rebuild £285 at agency transmissions.

Gear oil £<50

Many.
Depends on your budget,
the JC5 130 I bought was £275 and 10k miles newer than my old one,
it's done a track day and 2 drag days where it's been subjected to burnouts and 7k rpm gear changes,
i've hammered it as much as you can and it's still going strong 3 years later and that's on a daily driver.

Not every box you buy is going to be like that though!

Agency rebuild cost me £275 last week, gearbox oil and clutch on top of that.

If you're keeping the car, rebuild is the only option IMO.

Where abouts are you? May be worth paying somebody to do it for you.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on how knackered the box is,
i've seen people pay a sh*t load more for a rebuild than that.

But if the rebuild cost is the same as a second hand box then i'd go with the rebuild.

mharvey had 2 or 3 boxes meant to be mint, and they were all pretty much fubar'd!

I'm pretty sure someone said the max rebuild cost for a Clio box was £375, so even if you have literally everything done, that's not too bad :].

VX220
Well I have had a quote from one gearbox place tha said it will be anywhere between £230-£995 depending on what needs doing. Plus they was £360 to remove it and reinstall it. that place isn't that local so would probably have to get it recovered.
A local garage said they will for everything for £450 for everything of I supply a box and new clutch.
Either way is the correct clutch that is recommneded forte 182?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231098809827

VX220
So that will be £450, plus the rebuild, plus the pallet company, plus the clutch...not sure the cars worth that much to be honest. Think I'll take a box with a 3 month warranty and see how I get on

take the box out yourself mate, it's not hard just time consuming... place all the bolts/nuts in a bag with labels on so you know where everything goes and some photos if need be. For the sake of a days work it's worth it and save some beer money plus it's always nice to learn something new.