ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my gearbox starting to go?

In the morning upon starting the car (0.c) It's a little rough, but not major.

If I'm in 2nd and coming down to 1st I cannot select it until the car is pretty much stationary.

When the car is up to running temp things do get a little easier and about 30mins into the journey which is when the gearbox should be up to temp it's fine and smooth.

But are these the signs it's on it's way out?

Thanks

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't go for first until I'd stopped anyway tbh.. alright with some boxes & bikes but I don't think my 200 would take to it well.

Over working the syncro's is not a good idea as has been said, perhaps an oil change may help ! If it does however go into gear without a crunch then excessive wear has not taken place.

I don't force it by any mean's i'd like to get that straight! That's the absolute last thing I'd do. I do let it do it's own thing until it's warmed up.

Like I said when it's warm there's absolutely no problems with it.

What would you guys recommend gear box oil wise?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Plus most gearboxes have a detent that stops you accidentally engaging 1st instead of 3rd too, which blocks the gear off until you're going slow enough. Will allow you to change if you rev match though.

FF Clio 182
1st is such a tight gear you only really use it when pulling off as you can do everything else in first. If moving slow keep it on second and use the clutch more.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
sounds normal to me, wouldn't worry if no nasty crunches or whining tbh, and even then I tend to keep driving them till they drop out.

if its worrying you a bit bosh some of the proper elf stuff in it, 75W-80 tranself TRW iirc or whatever's superseded it

sounds normal to me, wouldn't worry if no nasty crunches or whining tbh, and even then I tend to keep driving them till they drop out.

if its worrying you a bit bosh some of the proper elf stuff in it, 75W-80 tranself TRW iirc or whatever's superseded it

Thanks mate, the motor and 'box is due for an oil change though so i'll be doing that soonish.
I've not tried rev matching as I'm not too fussed by it. It's only cold mornings that it's the case.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I have the same problem!
though mine sometimes won't go into 1st when stationary...have to go to 3rd first and then go to first.
Or use a bit of force (no crunching heard)

thing is, it never used to do this.....

will change GB oil asa precautionary

phase 1 172
oil viscosity differs with heat,i wouldnt worry if its only became a problem since the weathers alot colder during the nights