ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is NOS a good idea or not?

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
Hello. I dont hear of many people putting NOS onto their cars, it seems to just be a boy racer thing around here?
If i was going to fit Nitrous Oxide to my Clio 8v rsi what would i have to do to the engine (thats if it can handle it without doing anything to the engine) and how many BHP you recon it could handle?
I was thinking just a 25bhp shot.
Also whats the difference between 'DRY and WET' Nitrous?
My friend had a 25bhp shot on his Rover 200 and that made hella difference untill he blew it up from using it between 5th n 3rd gear!

Ill prob get some laughs but i dont mind, just want some good answers. Cheers!

Sambo

What gear you use it in isnt going to effect the engine blowing (unles maybe 1st too much torque going through clutch/gearbox) - Dry injects just n20 wet does petrol and n20.

25 shot dry on a 1.8/2.0 will be fine IMO.

Any bigger i would look into a wet system but i wouldnt go over a 50 shot.

What shot was your mate running on his rover? sorry just saw it was 25 was this wet or dry?

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
What gear you use it in isnt going to effect the engine blowing (unles maybe 1st too much torque going through clutch/gearbox) - Dry injects just n20 wet does petrol and n20.

What shot was your mate running on his rover? sorry just saw it was 25 was this wet or dry?

I think he was running a dry system, he was just silly...came into a a slight corner with the NOS on and changed from 5th to 3rd, or it cud of the 1st (think he was stoned) and well bang! smoke, rolled it a mile to a holt! I think his was between 25-35bhp shot!
I take it a tank of nitrous lasts longer on a wet system than dry if it puts petrol in with it? Could it take more than 25bhp shot dry you recon (the clio that is)?? cheers

ValverInBits
never used it myself but i have 2 mates who are addicted to the gas. The F7P 16v is quite good for it, I've got a mate who ran hundreds of pounds of Nos through that. He was running a 50 shot and even once ran a 75. Running sooo much NOS though retards the timing of the engine (NOS explodes slower) so eventually you have to start adjusing the timing. LOLs this wasnt a problem for my mate who simply modded his flywheel sensor so he could advance it on a little with a 10mm spanner. So he'd pull over and then POP THE GAS.
My other mate who runs it has a G40 polo (1.3 supercharged). He's got a rock solid bottom end and has removed the charger in favor of a turbo. He runs 22Psi and sees about 220bhp and STILL wants a 25 shot!
I defo dont think it's barry, it's just a really big thrill. The cost of the GAS is another thing, a £50 bottle will see you about 7 or 10 max blasts normally (depending on how much you use). Run a wet shot, and also you may want to get a better fuel pump. Your limited in the 16vs by what the clutch can take also!
Good times, Do it. I'm considering it on my 172.

EDIT: Plus once your car has blown up you can still just have a giggle off the gas!

Last edited:

I think he was running a dry system, he was just silly...came into a a slight corner with the NOS on and changed from 5th to 3rd, or it cud of the 1st (think he was stoned) and well bang! smoke, rolled it a mile to a holt! I think his was between 25-35bhp shot!
I take it a tank of nitrous lasts longer on a wet system than dry if it puts petrol in with it? Could it take more than 25bhp shot dry you recon (the clio that is)?? cheers

What size engine rover was it. Im sure if used at the correct time it would have been fine but if its used recklessely (especially on a rover engine then waht do you expect?)

I personally wouldnt go above 35 at the very max runing dry relying on the engine sensors to adjust the fuel you would need another way of richening the mixture. I also wouldnt activate until 4000rpm @ WOT

I believe there was someone on here who blew up several engines using either a 75 or 50 using a wet system but i think that was due to hard use and the fact that the fuel pump couldnt pump enough extra fuel in. I may be wrong though.

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
never used it myself but i have 2 mates who are addicted to the gas. The F7P 16v is quite good for it, I've got a mate who ran hundreds of pounds of Nos through that. He was running a 50 shot and even once ran a 75. Running sooo much NOS though retards the timing of the engine (NOS explodes slower) so eventually you have to start adjusing the timing. LOLs this wasnt a problem for my mate who simply modded his flywheel sensor so he could advance it on a little with a 10mm spanner. So he'd pull over and then POP THE GAS.
My other mate who runs it has a G40 polo (1.3 supercharged). He's got a rock solid bottom end and has removed the charger in favor of a turbo. He runs 22Psi and sees about 220bhp and STILL wants a 25 shot!
I defo dont think it's barry, it's just a really big thrill. The cost of the GAS is another thing, a £50 bottle will see you about 7 or 10 max blasts normally (depending on how much you use). Run a wet shot, and also you may want to get a better fuel pump. Your limited in the 16vs by what the clutch can take also!
Good times, Do it. I'm considering it on my 172.

EDIT: Plus once your car has blown up you can still just have a giggle off the gas!

7-10 blasts!?!!?!?!??? bugga that! yes i know that its £50 per re-fill, but is their any point if id only get 7-10 blasts odd? If their where 30 then id go for it.... ill give it a think, though saving up for the williams or volvo 1.7t may just be the better option?

Clio 1.8 8v RSi

What size engine rover was it. Im sure if used at the correct time it would have been fine but if its used recklessely (especially on a rover engine then waht do you expect?)

I personally wouldnt go above 35 at the very max runing dry relying on the engine sensors to adjust the fuel you would need another way of richening the mixture. I also wouldnt activate until 4000rpm @ WOT

I believe there was someone on here who blew up several engines using either a 75 or 50 using a wet system but i think that was due to hard use and the fact that the fuel pump couldnt pump enough extra fuel in. I may be wrong though.

I think his rover was a 1.6. Im sure he was doin around 80mph at the time, but i think most cars of that size would touch the limiter from 5th to 3rd at those revs? It was pretty funny as he had just had it fitted that day n wanted to show me what it was like, the first practice was nuts in 3rd gear but then him just being a dumb ass timed it a little wrong! stupid anyway!

ValverInBits
you get about that, depending on what shot you're running. I've seen a 16v Royaly ruined becuase the fuel pump couldnt take it, it ran too lean and pretty much melted the engine. Get an Air fuel meter if your gon a do it, but like everything car related, it's expensive stuff yeah.

Sod that volvo engine. If your doing a turbo conversion, do some reseach and geta VAG 20V 1.8 turbo and start with a better engine. the 1.7s are 120 standard, sod that.
Or do a 172 conversion!

Make sure you have a full throttle micro switch for NOS, saves a lot of tears!

you get about that, depending on what shot you're running. I've seen a 16v Royaly ruined becuase the fuel pump couldnt take it, it ran too lean and pretty much melted the engine. Get an Air fuel meter if your gon a do it, but like everything car related, it's expensive stuff yeah.

Sod that volvo engine. If your doing a turbo conversion, do some reseach and geta VAG 20V 1.8 turbo and start with a better engine. the 1.7s are 120 standard, sod that.
Or do a 172 conversion!

Make sure you have a full throttle micro switch for NOS, saves a lot of tears!

How can you have a WOT switch on a FBW type throttle body? Any ideas?

ValverInBits
Right ok I've got FBW - fly-by-wire

I'm asuming WOT is a full throttle switch? Answer is yeah you can, just literally rig it up under the pedal.

ValverInBits
why?

just to see your valves dance on your bonnet?

Clearly doesent know anything about NOS or how it can be done properly and how you can get a lot of exhileration and fun out of it. This is why most of us are here on this forum - trying to make the most of our cars. :rasp:

ValverInBits
errr no, cos the throttle is controlled on a stepper motor.
But it's easy and neat enough to mount on the pedal itself. If you were rich/geeky enough I'm sure it could be linked to the engine management

But it's easy and neat enough to mount on the pedal itself. If you were rich/geeky enough I'm sure it could be linked to the engine management

Generally on cars with a cable throttle it is used on the butterfly where the cable opens the valve. Obviously this cant be done on FBW throttle

Much easier than mounting under the pedal fyi

V6 Clio
Don't go for a dry system. Use a wet Wizards of Nos kit running 25bhp jets, get it professionally installed, no need for a controller at that level.
Use it correctly...don't activate below 3000 rpm and don't hit the limiter....because of the extra low down torque you should be shifting 1000rpm earlier anyway to get the maximum benefit. A 5lb bottle would still get you 20-30 average hits, bearing in mind it's used mainly for shortish bursts of acceleration. FBW is fine they use a TPS switch.

Clio 1.8 8v RSi

Ye, thats it! thats what my mate with the Rover had! The switch under the pedal worked a treat!

Well looks like NOS as the easy way of some sort of power solution! I love my speed and acceleration so ill work on them both. Sod the engine conversion, im skint and when i got money rather not spend it on some big frickin engine! I still have to travel 40 miles to work and back each day u know! cheers for the help!

LY 182
dry = just injects nitrous oxide in to the inlet tract
wet= injects nitrous and extra fuel together.
both of which are a bad way to gain power imo.

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
dry = just injects nitrous oxide in to the inlet tract
wet= injects nitrous and extra fuel together.
both of which are a bad way to gain power imo.

Coming from you with a 1.2?
Everyone had clearly said that Nitrous is basically the way forward!

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
Don't go for a dry system. Use a wet Wizards of Nos kit running 25bhp jets, get it professionally installed, no need for a controller at that level.
Use it correctly...don't activate below 3000 rpm and don't hit the limiter....because of the extra low down torque you should be shifting 1000rpm earlier anyway to get the maximum benefit. A 5lb bottle would still get you 20-30 average hits, bearing in mind it's used mainly for shortish bursts of acceleration. FBW is fine they use a TPS switch.

Nice one cheers for the advice! Would you recomend purchasing on Ebay or is that not a good idea?
Though i have found it on - http://www.nitrousoxidesupplies.co.uk/products/wizards_of_nos.html
for £354.00 which seems pretty cheap? The controllers are nearly that price too!

V6 Clio

Nice one cheers for the advice! Would you recomend purchasing on Ebay or is that not a good idea?
Though i have found it on - http://www.nitrousoxidesupplies.co.uk/products/wizards_of_nos.html
for £354.00 which seems pretty cheap? The controllers are nearly that price too!

Ebay is fine if it's a trusted supplier as is always the case. The kit in your link doesn't included a cylinder though!!...........Have a look at www.noswizard.com for all the info. Worth paying slightly more for the 11lb bottle over the 5lb bottle.
As said before I'd only consider Wizards of Nos, (their solenoids are vastly superior) and get it properly installed and setup. At 25bhp there would be no need for a controller.
p.s. I use their stuff with a custom dry direct port setup but with extra fuel mapped in by a MoTeC ecu. I would not consider a dry setup that relies on a standard ecu to self adjust from it's normal injector duty cycle.

Coming from someone who has used N20 before (not me a friend). I can advise you that a 25hp shot will be fine dry. You do not need additonal fuel for a such a small boost on a 1*2 anyway. The internal engine sensors seem to do there job just fine. But you will want more than 25....

40bhp upwards look into wet in my opinion. (on a 2ltr)

Anyone who says its a poor idea or its gunna 'blow the engine' obviosly have never used it before and think of the floor falling out in fast n the furious or something. If used correctly and set up using a little commons ense its fine (obviously dont go for silly boosts though)

Edit: I agree with you with regards to the WON solenoids they are superb

V6 Clio
Just to repeat...

Do not go for a dry system on a little 1.2 without getting advice from professional installers.
No disrespect meant to anyone but it would be unwise to rely on advice from a friend of a user. There is no direct involvement there with these systems and how they operate.
If you want to use this safely, and it's perfectly possible, phone Wizards of Nos and ask for Trev or Ant and get the right advice.
Do it wrong and it is easy to destroy your car.......just the same same as bolting on a turbo to a high compression engine and running lots of boost. Both will lead to failure.

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
Just to repeat...

Do not go for a dry system on a little 1.2 without getting advice from professional installers.
No disrespect meant to anyone but it would be unwise to rely on advice from a friend of a user. There is no direct involvement there with these systems and how they operate.
If you want to use this safely, and it's perfectly possible, phone Wizards of Nos and ask for Trev or Ant and get the right advice.
Do it wrong and it is easy to destroy your car.......just the same same as bolting on a turbo to a high compression engine and running lots of boost. Both will lead to failure.

Its not a 1.2!! Its the Clio RSI 1.8 8V!

Sorry thats just what mr TRW said. But hes right about consulting professional advice. Personally wouldnt have a problem running dry on 25 but get advice! And deffo get a WON kit

Coming from you with a 1.2?
Everyone had clearly said that Nitrous is basically the way forward!

LOL you tw*t he knows more about cars than you will ever know.

Obviously doesn't know much about N20 to be fair Alex. It just has a bad reputation for dickheads sticking a 100hp shot in there 75hp french bag and wondering why it blew up.

Well I bloody wonder. :approve:

Used in moderation its honestly fine. @ Sambo Get yourself onto the WON forums and pop a thread up on there itl help...

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
LOL you tw*t he knows more about cars than you will ever know.

Obviously doesn't know much about N20 to be fair Alex. It just has a bad reputation for dickheads sticking a 100hp shot in there 75hp french bag and wondering why it blew up.

Well I bloody wonder. :approve:

Used in moderation its honestly fine. @ Sambo Get yourself onto the WON forums and pop a thread up on there itl help...

Nice one cheers mate!

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
Sorry thats just what mr TRW said. But hes right about consulting professional advice. Personally wouldnt have a problem running dry on 25 but get advice! And deffo get a WON kit

Hold on a sec, whats this WON kit? and what is a WON Forum ive been told to post on? cheerz

ValverInBits
WON = Wizards of Nos

Bet you feel a little daft now :)

Have a good time Nossin mate, I'd love to try it myself!

edit: and make sure you post any progress you have with it. Everyone is interested to know about these things that don't get tried much

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
WON = Wizards of Nos

Bet you feel a little daft now :)

Have a good time Nossin mate, I'd love to try it myself!

edit: and make sure you post any progress you have with it. Everyone is interested to know about these things that don't get tried much

Yep will do chap, thanks everyone for the great advice!! Ill post up when i get the kit! cheers!