ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is Silverstone any fun in a Clio?

Hi all

For those that have done/do Silverstone in a Clio, what are your thoughts? Basically I'm in two minds of whether to book on at some point this year.

Is it more of a power circuit really? Seems like a lot of long straights, and not really suited to these type of cars, more the big power track cars.

In the past I have always done more flowy, undulating circuits like Oulton, Anglesey and Donnington, which have been perfect, but I do fancy going to more tracks (without travelling stupid distances - Cadwell is on my to do list at some point though).

How have others found it? Will I just be indicating right all day? 😂

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I’m in two minds about this one TBH. My opinion is probably somewhat coloured by the fact I’ve only been there once and overall it was a lousy day due to the track being greasy as hell and staying that way most of the day and also some of the worst driving I’ve ever seen.

Firstly, Silverstone is absolutely iconic. For me there is just something about driving up to the wing and knowing where you are that makes it special. The chance to drive Copse flat out and to go through the complex at Becketts isn’t something to pass up lightly.

On the downside, yes Silverstone is a power circuit, no question of that. In a 1*2 you are going to be getting out of the way of faster cars down the straights far more frequently than most circuits. If that really bothers you then best not go, if you are happy to put up with it for the experience then give it a shot.

Also, and this is probably a bit controversial, I don’t think it’s that great a track for trackdays unless you have big power. It’s a bit featureless so takes a while to learn, and then with the long straights you spend too much time with the throttle pinned wide open waiting for something to do.

On balance I’d say it’s worth trying just for the experience.

535d / t5 caravelle
I did silverstone years ago in my mk1 clio 16v, i went with a mate in his redtop nova, regardless of the massive difference in performance the clio left the nova after the 1st bend, had an awesome battle with a integra type r and 106 gti, dont think anything passed me on the day.

This was probably 15 plus year's ago, so cars are a lot more powerfull now, so yeah it could be a different story these days, and i drove it like i stole it on the day!

Wouldn't do it again tbh, cracking day but things have changed.

Theres much better tracks out there for the clio. Sure you'd have fun if you did it anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes it's an epic circuit. I did the GP a few years back. One of my best trackdays ever at the time. You can get some serious speed around some of the corner!

Last edited:
  MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
It’s a brilliant circuit no doubt of that but yes it is a power circuit. You will spend the day up the ass of other cars and then they will leave you on the straights. I got so fed up with it in the end if a car didn’t let me pass I just went up the inside of them in the corner. I might be biased though because in terms of driving standards/track etiquette it’s the worst day I’ve ever been on

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Did Silverstone in my Mk 7 Golf R. Fab, passed everything other than an RS4 who lapped me right at the end
almost hit a BMW who spun out on a corner about 30 foot in front of me- prompted me to get my Clio, and retire the Golf from Tracktime

Took Clio round Silverstone at the TRAX show last year. Hated it
Too long straights, corners not tight enough, everything whizzing by, and to kill it for me the session was ended half way thru. not to say i wont give it another go.

Personally, prefer little twisty circuits like Lydden and Brands

Even Donnington was quite large and lardy, but better than Silverstone

All opinion obviously- you wanna try Lydden :::::smile:)))))))))

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'm on the fence with this too, i feel it'll be a disappointment in my car due to the whole power thing

and its a lot of cash, could do Cadwell 3 times for the same price and that's a superb track for the clios

but its Silverstone, iconic, so i think i will have to do it at some point

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Don’t worry about the other cars. Any circuit can be fun in a Clio.

You will likely get absolutely analised down the hangar straight though ha

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
i'm on the fence with this too, i feel it'll be a disappointment in my car due to the whole power thing

and its a lot of cash, could do Cadwell 3 times for the same price and that's a superb track for the clios

Youve certainly got to do it at least once.
Its a great circuit for powerful cars- its fabulous.

Just little old (2001 mine) Clios with high mileage- not so good

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Youve certainly got to do it at least once.
Its a great circuit for powerful cars- its fabulous.
Just little old (2001 mine) Clios with high mileage- not so good
Mine was on 170K plus when I went - still put in a lap with 6% of Matt Neals FWD production lap record in the new Civic TyR.

I did it twice with Circuit days towards the end or beginning of year for circa £200.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
It also helps if you can drive, @loggyboy clearly can, me not so much :smiley:
Get a few laps tuition, and don't forget - its only a Clio! The majority of what appears to be kahunas on my laps come from the the knowledge if I end up damaging the car its not going to cost the earth to repair/replace. Slinging it to maggots without braking is a lot easier when its a 4 figure car not a 5 figure car, which I strongly believe is what makes the Clio (or any cheap track car) so much better than most other cars on track on a £/second and £/smile.
Tuition really will unlock confidence and ability in spades. Ff you don't feel like your getting the most out the car, you most certainly wont be.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good when you say 6%, not so much when you say 10 seconds 😂

Still quick enough.
Lol true, but over 2min40 lap the percentage is fairer. :smile:
And that is against a 310hp superhatch, with a pro at the wheel!
I did get an email from one of the TDO instructors after posting that video offering some advice and suggesting I could cut another 2secs off.

Swift Sport
I’m in two minds about this one TBH. My opinion is probably somewhat coloured by the fact I’ve only been there once and overall it was a lousy day due to the track being greasy as hell and staying that way most of the day and also some of the worst driving I’ve ever seen.

Firstly, Silverstone is absolutely iconic. For me there is just something about driving up to the wing and knowing where you are that makes it special. The chance to drive Copse flat out and to go through the complex at Becketts isn’t something to pass up lightly.

On the downside, yes Silverstone is a power circuit, no question of that. In a 1*2 you are going to be getting out of the way of faster cars down the straights far more frequently than most circuits. If that really bothers you then best not go, if you are happy to put up with it for the experience then give it a shot.

Also, and this is probably a bit controversial, I don’t think it’s that great a track for trackdays unless you have big power. It’s a bit featureless so takes a while to learn, and then with the long straights you spend too much time with the throttle pinned wide open waiting for something to do.

On balance I’d say it’s worth trying just for the experience.
...Pretty much agree with this guy.

Yes it's worth ticking the box to say you've done it, but there are more exciting circuits out there. I did it back when it was a little more interesting but it's still near the bottom of my list.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Get a few laps tuition, and don't forget - its only a Clio! The majority of what appears to be kahunas on my laps come from the the knowledge if I end up damaging the car its not going to cost the earth to repair/replace. Slinging it to maggots without braking is a lot easier when its a 4 figure car not a 5 figure car, which I strongly believe is what makes the Clio (or any cheap track car) so much better than most other cars on track on a £/second and £/smile.
Tuition really will unlock confidence and ability in spades. Ff you don't feel like your getting the most out the car, you most certainly wont be.

Wise words mate, I almost always get tuition because even if it's a track I know well there's always something else to tweak and the better instructors take where you are and work onwards from there.

Got to agree with you about the cost of the car, I've never chucked anything around as much as my first 182. If it went wrong it was a loss I could afford to take - don't get me wrong, not #csballer inconsequential, but it wasn't going to leave me seriously in the crap. The Meg'd 200 and M3 are both much more serious financial hits if I were to properly bin them. It does change how you approach corner entry :D

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I enjoyed it (been twice), as said it’s an iconic circuit so to say “I’ve driven it” is great. Parts of the circuit suit clios, other parts suit the bigger powered/boosted cars. Doubt I’d do it again tbh.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I paid 280 when it was first released about 2 years ago, but used the 2016 models are £50-80 used, and the 2017 (technically improved but less suitable for car use IMO) is only £220 retail new.

Wow, that's value. £90 new on Amazon, very tempted. How have you mounted it? Looks like it has a fairly standard tripod connector?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
That's mega.
How did you do the overlays for the track position, rpm, lap times etc?
Overlays are done on Race render video software, and the data logging is done by a Samsung S3 i've built in to my dash, running the Racechrono app but with the paid for OBD2 and laptime 'addons'. That's linked to 10hz Qstarz GPS receiver for map/timing accuracy (1hz all phones have on GPS is pants), and then a bluetooth OBD2 (ELM327) module that's sending the revs/speed/throttle position to racechrono to be logged/recorded.

Overlays are done on Race render video software, and the data logging is done by a Samsung S3 i've built in to my dash, running the Racechrono app but with the paid for OBD2 and laptime 'addons'. That's linked to 10hz Qstarz GPS receiver for map/timing accuracy (1hz all phones have on GPS is pants), and then a bluetooth OBD2 (ELM327) module that's sending the revs/speed/throttle position to racechrono to be logged/recorded.
Sounds complicated haha. Could this be setup on a gopro? Might drop you a pm at some point about setup

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds complicated haha. Could this be setup on a gopro? Might drop you a pm at some point about setup
Not really complex, more time consuming. But there are products out there that combine a lot of it. Most of its just plug and play, its the faffing on the PC combining and syncing all the information thats monotonous. I have hours more footage thats never been uploaded as I couldnt be arsed to process it all. Needs a half decent PC, especially for the 360 stuff.