ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is stripping the car for 1/4 mile cheatin

320d M Sport

Wat do u lot reckon? I mean its all good and well ripping alomost eveything out, but the minute you put it back in, ie for everyday use, its gonna be well slower.

What Im trying to say is 1/4 mile is supposed to be a true reflection of the cars ability, but when you strip it is that not somehow cheating?

hmmmmmm, discuss......unless u own a vts;)

depends, if your 1/4 miling for a good time or 1/4 miling to find out how a quick a certain car is. for instance i was running 14.5/14.6 all day but when i got a few runs straight after ech other, tyres hot etc i started running 14.4s. am i making any sense?

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Doesnt matter. The road and the 1/4mile is very different.

The main objectives of the strip is to cover the distance as quickly as possible whatever the means such as NOS, TURBO, strip out etc.....

The fastest time is the winner simple.

mk2 172

why unless you own a vts? my seats weigh absolutely fuk all, like quavers, only took the rears out, and theyve been out for months, i drive mine round stripped out, thats how it is

320d M Sport

the bit about the vts was a joke mate cos i knew youd reply!

like quavers? What yellow and cheesy?

320d M Sport

so do people think the 1/4 mile is just to get from one end to the next as fast as poss, not to show what real world performance is?

Definately as fast as poss - my Williams seems pretty rubbish 0-60 but when on the move (especailly out of bends) is very different! That is more "real world". I have never ever had a "traffic light" race yet!!! Had loads of races usuall off roundabouts onwards!

Have timed my car 0-60 using a stopwatch (0-64 as the speedos about 4mph out) and get around 8 secs. 30-70 (33-74 on the speedo) is below 6 secs. My 0-60 starts must be usless tho - but Ive only tried 2 x 0-60s

1/4 miling is about getting a quick time - anything to make it quicker is valid, I reckon.. hehe.

If you 1/4 miling to see what your car can do, then of course, you have to leave it in the same state as you would if you were driving every day..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, thats why when we went to York last time (Easter) I left all my interior in the car, as it would give me a "realistic" 1/4 mile time.

This time I just wanted to strip it to see how much of a difference it made and try and get a quicker time than before.

It worked! (y)

S2000

Im never stripping mine for the 1/4 mile unless its gonna stay that way. I wanna see how fast it is in road trim.

Its only "cheating" to strip the lot out, run a low time, put all the kit back in and go round claiming the low time. I used to use the 172 with loads of stuff stripped out, so if I had actually managed a good time I could have claimed it as an accurate representation of my car on the road. If I shoved all the crap back in and still claimed the time, itd have made me a cad, a liar and a cheat! ;-)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Im still driving mine round in "van mode" actually... :oops:

Must get around to putting the stuff back soon!

williams and trophy

i had no choice in strippin mine out really.............AND i was running with EXTRA weight as well :D

but the dif between mon and last time was only 1/2 a second...........not bad for the weight penalty i had ..................but i did want to break into the 14s

im gunna take all seats out,borrow me mates kevlar bucket,wings off tailgates gettin the fibreglass treatment plastic windows etc etc ...............13s will b no prob then

320d M Sport

REally? Im bit surprised people can drive their cars without the rears in! What about your mates etc?

do u all just send em for a Joe Maxi?:D

Its all tactics! stripping weight is one of them, What about space frames? i have seen people using them to save weight, would that be cheating? warming up the tyres, smell of rubber on the first run so you get better traction on the second run. Going to the gym, lose weight, drink 3 pints of coffee before and improve reactions. As you can tell i have never been, still in dream land, but one day ill see ya there.

williams and trophy

like some1 else said it depends n what you call cheating.............

is modding cheating?????????

i think so lol

ur all cheats

u shud put ur cars back to standard n put all seats back in to find out how it compares to other same spec cars hehe:p

Stripping the car can make quite a difference i would imagine, probably handles a bit different. i find the more weight i have in the back/ boot the faster i can go round corners, not good for quarter miling though. Its scary how far you can go, carbon this, carbon that! but a the end of the day what is quarter miling about? building a quick machine? Testing driver expertise? or both?

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 29 May 2003

What Im trying to say is 1/4 mile is supposed to be a true reflection of the cars ability, but when you strip it is that not somehow cheating?

I would say starting half way up the strip would be cheating, dont you think !

BMW 320d Sport

Stripping a car is standard issue for a day of quarter miling! Anyone who *doesnt* strip at least the back seats out must be only on their first few runs EVER. Serious quarter milers know that the only thing that matters is your time. When you compare times with other quarter milers, theyre not gonna say, oh I took out the back seats, ran 20 psi slicks on the front and an eighth of a tank of fuel...its every man for himself, you do whatever you can to get the weight down and maximise traction , and if your opponent cant be bothered, then its their loss!

my valver last year was running nitrous, cams and headwork, Williams gearbox and clutch, full throttle gearchange, hard suspension and 18s on the back and slammed soft suspension with fat soft 15s on the front, all the back stripped, everything its practical to do. Thats what drag racing is all about!

BMW 320d Sport

Dont let me put anyone off though - first timers can have a great laugh just driving their totally road-spec Clios up the quarter mile. Once youve had a few goes though and you really start to get into it you learn the tricks of the trade and lightening the car is one of them - every tenth of a second counts for a lot on the drag strip, much more than in the so-called real world. In fact I think the real world is just a fleeting experience in between quarter mile runs!:confused: