ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the Desire the best 'Droid?

S3, Polo
Pls help me decide what's best for me, want rid of my iPhone asap.

Needs:
- Camera w/ Flash
- Video
- Flash player in browser

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL Droid is going in the swear filter.

There are no "Droid" in the UK. Its a veriZon thing - US Only.

Desire HD/Desire Z or if you fancy early adoption WP7 (No idea why you want flash player on any phone, its rubbish)

S3, Polo
Thanks for highlighting my laziness Tom, I tried to intimate that I was speaking about 'Android' by using an apostrophe before the truncated word...

Isn't the D-HD based on the same underlying architecture as the standard Desire? D-Z is out based on the slide-out QWERTY.

(No idea why you want flash player on any phone, its rubbish)

It's more to do with work than anything and we already have an abundance of iOS in our studio and I fancied a change!

Browser-based Flash is not something we're going to get away from any time soon and well-written and sensibly-optimised Flash/ AIR apps can run very well under iOS/ Android! IMO, it's also good news that Apple have revised their stance on Flash-based app development (Source).

May wait until later in the month to trial a WP7 device. Shame the launch handsets (I've seen) look like they were designed by a child...

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
the HD is a nice bit of kit, but too big IMO. Essentially an EVO, reworked for the uk. It's the same size screen as the HD2 which is just that bit too big to be comfortable.

The single piece aluminium chassis is a superb feature though, one thing i wish the desire had

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thanks for highlighting my laziness Tom, I tried to intimate that I was speaking about 'Android' by using an apostrophe before the truncated word...

Isn't the D-HD based on the same underlying architecture as the standard Desire? D-Z is out based on the slide-out QWERTY.

It's more to do with work than anything and we already have an abundance of iOS in our studio and I fancied a change!

Browser-based Flash is not something we're going to get away from any time soon and well-written and sensibly-optimised Flash/ AIR apps can run very well under iOS/ Android! IMO, it's also good news that Apple have revised their stance on Flash-based app development (Source).

May wait until later in the month to trial a WP7 device. Shame the launch handsets (I've seen) look like they were designed by a child...

Couldnt disagree more flash is dying all you have to do is use a mobile flash player. Plus the apple apps you mention are built from flash they don't run as flash.

S3, Polo
AIR is a means of publishing Flash content across platforms. Flash Packager essentially 'packs' the Flash SWF, the Flash Player and its resources into a single execution file which is suitable for running on an iOS device (or similar), like an EXE on a PC.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/packagerforiphone/

Flash is far from dying and Apple's u-turn highlights it's strength in multimedia production. Referring to Flash as a "Dying" tech (interesting reading) was a way of Steve Jobs justifying it's exclusion from iOS updates, earlier in the year...

But we're getting OT...

EDIT: Prong, PM me.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
AIR applications built with the Packager for iPhone are compiled into standard, native iOS executables, just like any other iOS application.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Flash is definitely on the decrease right now and will more than likely eventually die out altogether, most sites are converting to more resource friendly methods.

S3, Polo
I agree, as far as browser-based content is concerned.

But as a multimedia, animation and application development platform I think there's life in the old girl yet! :D