ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a familiar sight?

Clio sport 182
So tonight this happened....

Where can I get a good reconditioned gear box!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 302
  Clio sport 182
Clutch failure by the looks of that mate. Where in the world are you? I've got a set of casings I could potentially build your original box up into.

I'm in north east mate, I don't think it's clutch? I down changed to second at 80 instead of 4th. Stupid mistake. Internals might be okay? Diff will have went I'd imagine.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a gearbox with noisy diff bearings. Fine other than that.
£50 plus postage.

Clio sport 182
I have a gearbox with noisy diff bearings. Fine other than that.
£50 plus postage.

I'd like a perfect box mate. The car is in very good condition bar my mistake! I'm a mechanic but I've never really messed about with gearbox internals.

I want to keep the car good. As in the near future it will be getting throttle bodies on and a few other mods. This issue has set me back a few weeks tho.

Thanks for the offer tho. I've seen some that are 350 on eBay and some that are 150 but they both have same milage and say they are in very good condition with no crunches etc. Any idea why the massive difference in price?

Clio sport 182
Buy the one off of Dan and get northloop to rebuild it.

That way you know you have a mint box ready for your future mods.

Buying a s/hand box with unknown history is going to be a mine field.

I'd happily do that. But what's the price I'm looking for? And I'm in the north east Durham so I'm not exactly close...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I personally wouldn't buy an unknown box.
If you remove it, fit a new clutch, refit it all and its whining, you're going to be very very angry.
(That happens loads on here btw!)

I'd buy a nearly dead one and get someone reputable to rebuild it before fitting it. I'd say get yours refurbed but... Well...

Lol!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Labour is £160 to strip and rebuild. Price of what parts it needs is on top of that.
You need a jc5 130 box as its a 182, so these are usually cheaper.

I find that the majority of 182 boxes aren't in bad order tbf when I open them up.

I've sent a few via couriers now mate tbh.

Clio sport 182
Flol yeah that won't have helped! Internals might be ok, but doubtful mate. The hole looks to be in the front of the bell housing?

Yeah it is mate. I'm devastated cause the box was perfect. What's the best option for me now I want another box that's just as good.

Clio sport 182
I personally wouldn't buy an unknown box.
If you remove it, fit a new clutch, refit it all and its whining, you're going to be very very angry.
(That happens loads on here btw!)

I'd buy a nearly dead one and get someone reputable to rebuild it before fitting it. I'd say get yours refurbed but... Well...

Lol!

Give me some credit. It was a mistake.

These things happen.. So I've been told? Haha. Like said above my gearbox was brilliant smooth and in near perfect condition till I messed up!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it is mate. I'm devastated cause the box was perfect. What's the best option for me now I want another box that's just as good.
Well I'm still thinking clutch mate tbh as there doesn't appear to be any oil loss?
2 options really:

Risk it for a biscuit and buy a box off here or eBay

Or

Buy one off here or eBay and have it rebuilt mate.

Clio sport 182
Well I'm still thinking clutch mate tbh as there doesn't appear to be any oil loss?
2 options really:

Risk it for a biscuit and buy a box off here or eBay

Or

Buy one off here or eBay and have it rebuilt mate.

I lost all box oil mate. Came from a different part of the box. Possibly the diff. Car now won't start either sounds like starter is just spinning and not engaging? I'd imagine engine should be okay? It's on 80k.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I lost all box oil mate. Came from a different part of the box. Possibly the diff. Car now won't start either sounds like starter is just spinning and not engaging? I'd imagine engine should be okay? It's on 80k.
Ah right ok. Well it's safe to say whatever let go has taken other stuff with it. It will have smashed the crank sensor mate that's why it won't start. If I were you I'd be getting the box off and out the way to make sure the flywheel is ok. I'd say it will be though tbf.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I've seen this happen before, the flywheel and clutch came out through the front of the gearbox and took the radiator out.

But also with the engine revving so high it also made the cam belt bottom gear slip which took the valves out.

You might be lucky.

Clio sport 182
Ah right ok. Well it's safe to say whatever let go has taken other stuff with it. It will have smashed the crank sensor mate that's why it won't start. If I were you I'd be getting the box off and out the way to make sure the flywheel is ok. I'd say it will be though tbf.

I've not got a spare ramp to let the car sit there until I get a gearbox bud. So engine should be fine? Might of took the starter with it? I'll be putting a new clutch in and flywheel if needed. I guess I'll buy a crank sensor and change that when doing the box at the Same time won't hurt?

Do you have a box you could build me?

Clio sport 182
I've seen this happen before, the flywheel and clutch came out through the front of the gearbox and took the radiator out.

But also with the engine revving so high it also made the cam belt bottom gear slip which took the valves out.

You might be lucky.

I hope this isn't the case! It won't start at all just turns over. Like starter spinning noise then a starter crunch.

I've just don't the bloody belt and dephaser too. What's the chances?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Well if the engine is turning over fast on the starter like there isn't any compression then I would say that it's smashed the valves.

Hard to say without seeing it.

Clio sport 182
Well if the engine is turning over fast on the starter like there isn't any compression then I would say that it's smashed the valves.

Hard to say without seeing it.

It sounds as if the starter isn't engaging. I can record a video tomorrow and post it?

I had one in a few weeks back that did exactly the same, at the same speed etc. Engine management registered 9488rpm, and it had undone the crank bolt. Hadn't done any damage to box or flywheel though! Pulled the sump off and it had spun big end shells aswell. Safe to say yours will be knackered.

Clio sport 182
I had one in a few weeks back that did exactly the same, at the same speed etc. Engine management registered 9488rpm, and it had undone the crank bolt. Hadn't done any damage to box or flywheel though! Pulled the sump off and it had spun big end shells aswell. Safe to say yours will be knackered.

Well there hole in the box is big enough and lost all gearbox fluid. What's best to check first as I don't have access to a ramp where I can leave it there until it's sorted. It sounds as if starter is just spinning up. I can't remember if engine was still running when I stopped tho. I just turned it straight off. So most likely it has blew engine too?

330i. E30 Touring.
Ouch. Worst case, find a decent breaker on here, and get both the engine and box from it. £500 in parts.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
What's the job like to do on your back on a driveway? I'll just strip it and find out!
Engine and box out through the top.
You can then replace/repair the fucked exhaust manifold while your there mate.

330i. E30 Touring.
Engine and box out through the top.
You can then replace/repair the fucked exhaust manifold while your there mate.

This. I can have an engine and box out in two hours with a crane. Putting back takes a bit longer obvs, but do-able in a weekend taking it relatively easy if you know what you're doing.

Clio sport 182
Well
This. I can have an engine and box out in two hours with a crane. Putting back takes a bit longer obvs, but do-able in a weekend taking it relatively easy if you know what you're doing.

I'm a time served fitter but is it really worth the hassle in striping it and finding that the engine is knackered?

Clio sport 182
It either turns over or it doesn't???

It sounds like the starter is just spinning and not engaging into the fly wheel.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I think if I was you bud I would get the engine and box out.

Remove the box and see what damage has been caused.

If the flywheel is still attached to the engine then I would remove the cam caps, wack the pin in the crank and see how far out the timing is (you've already said that you've done the cambelt)

Of course if the flywheel is hanging off and the thread's have been ripped out of the crank then forget it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I think if I was you bud I would get the engine and box out.

Remove the box and see what damage has been caused.

If the flywheel is still attached to the engine then I would remove the cam caps, wack the pin in the crank and see how far out the timing is (you've already said that you've done the cambelt)

Of course if the flywheel is hanging off and the thread's have been ripped out of the crank then forget it.
Bolts will give before the threads in the crank mate. I have experience. Lol