ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a genuine 182 cat?

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
Looking at replacing my exhaust and just wondering if this is a genuine 182 cat?

Attachments

• 4C0D5B60-26EF-4E99-B2DF-D753AA7F8083.jpeg
    4C0D5B60-26EF-4E99-B2DF-D753AA7F8083.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 103

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well yes, but so do all catalytic converters, is there substantially more in the original one than a £70 eBay replacement?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well yes, but so do all catalytic converters, is there substantially more in the original one than a £70 eBay replacement?
Significantly.

the aftermarket cats are made with cheap materials and a mixture of alloys. OE cats are made of much more pure metals.

an OE Honda Accord cat is worth £500+ To the scrap man. You can buy a cheap copy off eBay for £110.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ah right, I never realised that. I thought they all used the same amounts of platinum etc to achieve the result.
Seems a bit wasteful if you can get the desired results with cheaper alloys though, we could have all been given Trophy dampers from the factory if they'd used cheaper cats 😂

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Ah right, I never realised that. I thought they all used the same amounts of platinum etc to achieve the result.
Seems a bit wasteful if you can get the desired results with cheaper alloys though, we could have all been given Trophy dampers from the factory if they'd used cheaper cats 😂
When they were built the scrap value of the materials used was significantly lower.

I run an eBay cat and it sailed through its second MoT easy enough. But I’m under no illusions that will become more difficult. I would much prefer some common ground so something that was slightly more expensive but lasted better than the cheep ones. I looked at the KTec cat. But it has a 6 month warranty, which gives you an idea of their complete lack of confidence in their own product.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hardly confidence inspiring is it! I know what you mean, I had a cheap one fitted for the last MOT and it doesn't look the highest quality in the world. I presume you could get one made up by an exhaust shop, but I'm not sure how long their guarantees would be either. I think I'll just throw the decat back on so I don't wear out the cat before the next MOT 😂

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Hardly confidence inspiring is it! I know what you mean, I had a cheap one fitted for the last MOT and it doesn't look the highest quality in the world. I presume you could get one made up by an exhaust shop, but I'm not sure how long their guarantees would be either. I think I'll just throw the decat back on so I don't wear out the cat before the next MOT 😂
Yeah, I’m with you on that but I am not really a big fan of decat. I would prefer some kind of cat. I’m going to have to address my exhaust at some point. It’s a Ktec thing without a middle resonator. So it’s bloody loud and I’m too old. I’d quite like to get the Pure system with their cat and centre silencer. But the list of things I would like is bloody growing and expensive! Once I get my house extension out of the way I may just drop some big money on all this stuff. Just to get it done and dusted

Drakec

ClioSport Club Member
  Bmw m635csi,polo.
Well good to know it’s an original. What’s the best option for replacement. I don’t want a decat. So a sports cat with a quieter exhaust. I have heard the janspeed is supposed to be a good system and not too loud?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I like posting how much they are worth tbh just so people are aware so they don’t get ripped off tbh, to late for some though sorry :(

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
When they were built the scrap value of the materials used was significantly lower.

I run an eBay cat and it sailed through its second MoT easy enough. But I’m under no illusions that will become more difficult. I would much prefer some common ground so something that was slightly more expensive but lasted better than the cheep ones. I looked at the KTec cat. But it has a 6 month warranty, which gives you an idea of their complete lack of confidence in their own product.

Jetex do some better quality cats, looks like they would make for a good half way house.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I bought a magnaflow universal cat, last year and had it welded to a miltek decat pipe.

The magnaflow has a 25k mile emissions warranty. Not sure on time limits as when I check quickly checked nothing came up quickly.