ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this amp good enough for...

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Got an Eclipse 600w 12inch sub in a sealed box, need a new amp is this any good:

Kenwood KAC-7251

800 Watts MAX Power 2 x 150 Watts RMS @ 4 OHM 2 x 230 Watts RMS @ 2 OHM 1 x 460 Watts RMS @ 4 OHM Bridged

Signal/Noise Ratio 100dB Frequency Response 10Hz-45kHz 12dB Crossover Variable 50-200Hz, Low Pass Filter. 12dB Crossover 150Hz, High Pass Filter. Adjustable Remote Bass Boost 0 - +12dB (90Hz) Speaker Level Input RCA Preout Cooling Fan
Not too clued up on Amps to be honest so any help would be appreciated.

is the sub RMS or peak ?

Seems adequate !! 460W RMS @ 4 OHMS bridged is pretty good !! might be a little to powerful if the sub is 600W peak !!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Not sure about the sub to be honest - would think 600w RMS

I think the amp is adjustable though? Couldnt I just run it with the power down if it is too much?

Thats what I did with my current amp, but that seems to have seen an untimely end!

Yeah you could run it at a lower power if the amp is too powerful !! Probably not best to try and power a 600W RMS sub with a 460W RMS amp though !! The amp will get far too hot and probably have a short life !! Best to match the RMS or maybe have a little more power from the amp !!

What sub is it ?

If its 600W peak then the amp should be fine, just try it at half the gain and keep adjusting it until your happy !!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Its an Eclipse 8600 (something like that)

Been thinking for ages the subs on it way out but starting to think the amp I was running wasnt up to it. Im gonna try my sub on a mates amp before I go buying another amp though!

I only got a little 2x75w amp to try at the moment so need some real power to try it out!

Ill find out exactly what the sub it and let you know - cheers for the help any way!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Pretty sure the Sub is 600w RMS so should I be looking at getting something more powerfull than the sub?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Tell a lie, just found what looks like a simular sub to mine that says 300w continuous and 600w peak. Does that mean the Kenny am will be good enough?

Why hasnt anyone asked which voicecoil configuration the sub is. Have i missed something here. It could be a single 2ohm coil or something.

What impedance is the coil/s?

Is it a single or dual voicecoil sub?

or 8 ohm !! but until we know more we cant help more !! ASSUMING its a normal 4 ohm sub then YES it will be ok !! If the sub is 1/2/8 ohms or dual coil then youll have to look at a more suitable amp !!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Looks like Im gonna have to take the damn thing out of the box and find out exactly what it is arent I!!

Funny feeling its got a double voice coil though. Problem is the range my sub comes from isnt on the Eclipse website any more!!

LMAO yeah take it out of the box and have a look !! I tried to find some info on it but couldnt !! When you know more details post em up !!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Ill have it out tonight and let you know exactly what sub it is.

Problem with Eclipse is they have models like 8701.25 and small brains like mine cant remember all the digits.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Da da da!!

Its at home waiting for me, I need to get out of here and fit it.

I luv new stuff, I wish I was rich so I could get new stuff all the time.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Right,

Got the amp, fitted it, but if I put any "real" power in to it the sub dont want it. Got it to a level it can handle but its not exactly booming with bass lines.

Itll sound good at low volumes then just cut out at higher volumes. Ive had the sub 2 years now - possible that its had enough?

If worst comes to worst and I do need a new sub what do you guys think of the Kenwood DB+ series?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Scrap that, it now sounds awsome.

Had that sub for 2 years and its never sounded like that before.

Also - the other amp hadnt blown it was the rear amp output from the head unit. just run it through the front and linked the amps together via their outputs and it now kicks massively!!

Whats the best way to amp components by the way, to the cross-over or to the speaker directly?

Im glad its sounding nice mate

The best way to amp components is to put the speaker wires from the headunit into the amp. Then wire the amp to the crossover and then branch off the mid and tweet off it in the usual positions.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I have the amps from the RCA though - will that make any difference if I do it that way?

Will the tweeters be ok if I put the amp to the crossover?

Reckon it will be pumping once I have amped those as well.

Have Magnat front comps, the eclpise sub and every ones worst enemy (kenwood 6x9s)

Run by the Kenwood amp (sub) eclipse amp (6x9s) and pro-plus anp for the comps.

All in all spent about £2k in the last 3 years and finally its all sounding good.

Sorry. I had a momentary lapse in concentration there. I meant put the RCAs in to the amp. As long as the amp is getting a full range signal then it will be fine on the comps

Tweeters will be fine amped as long as you dont get any distortion. Set the amp to high pass and turn the gains til you think they are running optimally. Youll notice a big difference in sound quality and loudness when youve amped everything.

Russ

300bhp MR2 Turbo

The bass boost switch is a nice little touch on that amp Neil, Ill be wiring in the comps off an amp on Saturday then wiring the bass boost to the ash tray where its out of sight from prying eys.

I havent stopped smiling since I got it all set up properly!!

I was thinking of getting that amp for the sub, and then the kenwood 6201 to power my front comps when i get updated speakers.... maybe this summer i will cut a hole in my door to fit something bigger than the ones in my dash.