ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this bad rust on Clio 172 cup?

Hi guys

I’ve just been advised by my local garage that I should probably fix my car and sell it due to the amount of rust it has. My brake lines are so rusty that you can peel them apart. What should I do?

C8CE9DEB-1A61-4A21-A78F-4DB6A78F71EA.jpeg

2DA200C4-9078-4EF0-8AD4-E68D8A83FF41.jpeg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I had a broken wire in the loom on my old 182, the garage that fixed tried telling me I should sell it as the loom was in a bad state. I think they came out with this crap to justify the fact it took them 8 weeks to find including sending my ECU away for testing.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I had a broken wire in the loom on my old 182, the garage that fixed tried telling me I should sell it as the loom was in a bad state. I think they came out with this crap to justify the fact it took them 8 weeks to find including sending my ECU away for testing.

Those are the types of businesses that don't want the work, typically.

They just want quick turnover servicing and light repairs.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Those are the types of businesses that don't want the work, typically.

They just want quick turnover servicing and light repairs.
They charged me £800 for the pleasure, I made it very clear I thought they were taking the pi$$. Interestingly while searching Ebay a few weeks later I found them selling a 182 virgin ECU, given that I live in a pretty rural area I found it quite unlikely that they had worked on another 182 recently. Still in my watch list 4 years later so they've not cashed in on it yet😄

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
They charged me £800 for the pleasure, I made it very clear I thought they were taking the pi$$. Interestingly while searching Ebay a few weeks later I found them selling a 182 virgin ECU, given that I live in a pretty rural area I found it quite unlikely that they had worked on another 182 recently. Still in my watch list 4 years later so they've not cashed in on it yet😄

They stole your ECU?

Basically it’s not much to sort and I can keep the car guys? I want to make it into a track car I just wasn’t sure the shell would be good enough etc.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Kington is only around 2000 population so I made it pretty obvious that I knew what was going on when I messaged them on Ebay about the ECU

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
These clios do rust in certain hard to get to areas, them brake lines should of failed the mot a good few years ago, but are cheap and very easy to fix, the green areas on the lines are a sign of erosion and will likely fail very soon, find someone on here local who knows what their doing and change all the lines, easily done in a day no issues, basic maintenance

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
These clios do rust in certain hard to get to areas, them brake lines should of failed the mot a good few years ago, but are cheap and very easy to fix, the green areas on the lines are a sign of erosion and will likely fail very soon, find someone on here local who knows what their doing and change all the lines, easily done in a day no issues, basic maintenance
Not true, they're green from factory.

I reckon those brake pipes would burst if you had to stand on them hard 😉😮

I certainly wouldn't be selling the car for any of those problems though!