ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this the head gasget

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

My mate bought a renault 19 1.8 16v the other day and last night it was startin run really hot!

He parked up and checked the water and the reservoir just steamed for ages when he tried to open it and had so much pressure in it its un-true. It was hissin for about 5mins and we could hear boiling water!(Which wasnt in the reservoir id like to add!) Then from the engine bay somewhere all the water started to leak everywhere! The water was horrible rusty coloured sh*t and the same colour as when mine went.

We then topped it back up later on and there was no sign of a leak?

Any ideas?

Is your fan coming on mate. If it runs and and starts from cold, your head gasget hasnt gone. But it will do if you keep letting it get hot. The water in the resovouir will be a milky colour because there is oil in it and the oil will have signs of water in it. Do a compression test. You can buy a guage from halfords, takes ten minutes. If the head gasget has gone and you continue to use it, you will warp the head, or even melt the block between the bores if you run it too hot for too long.

The water pump isnt making a funny noise or siezed is it. That would be the main contribution to running hot.

Dont know if I have helped, just opened a can of worms probably!

Good luck..... sounds like you need some.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Well it my mates car so i aint too worried!

Nah the fan kicks in (All the time!) it just seems to run very very hot! The water in the radiator boils though and the water is sh*tty makin me think the headgasget is going. No sign of water in the oil though!

It really does baffle me!