ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this true??

Apparently its possible to change gear in a clio without using the clutch.
Something to do with getting the revs to a specific point then it will just slip into the next gear, without the clutch being used?

I cant remember what RPM the person said it has to be at, but has anyone else heard about this before/ can anybody do it?

Cheers

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I wouldn't bother doing it a clio.

The words 'kinder suprise' spring to mind;)

Turbos.
The important thing is to try and match revs for the next gear.

Likewise, you can heel and toe down a gear without using the clutch.

Civic Si
yeah, i've had to do this in my willy when i was stranded in the middle of nowhere after my clutch cable snapped.

miss out first gear and start the car in second, in gear, and away you go!!
only made it into third tho...

...and just pray every roundabout and set of traffic lights are in your favour!! lol

172 cup baby
its the same in any car, when the revs hit a slip point on the box it can be changed. Alot of rally drivers used to do it to change gear quicker, before triple plate clutches etc came out.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Normally play this game in the works transit van, if you need the clutch first round is on you !!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Apparently its possible to change gear in a clio without using the clutch.
Something to do with getting the revs to a specific point then it will just slip into the next gear, without the clutch being used?

I cant remember what RPM the person said it has to be at, but has anyone else heard about this before/ can anybody do it?

Cheers

Theoretically possible.

Practically impossible.

Its a car gearbox not a bike gearbox. The synchros are only designed for the interia of the gearbox parts, not the whole engine. If you don't match the revs exactly right they can't.

It ain't that hard i've done it when my clutch plate seized on. Like said if you start it in gear take and when driving push lightly towards the gear you want find the right revs and it will slide right in, be prepared for some crunching if your trying it for the first time lol

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Gordon, what do you mean pratically impossible? I've done it! all te way up and down the gears!

BMW M3
Ive done it in a ford focus and was a fairly smooth. Just pull on the gear stick very slightly and when it reaches the right revs it just slips into the next gear. Have not and will not try in my wee clio though.

clio 182 sport/
its a piece of cake, i work in a garage and im always messing with customers cars or trucks on test drive. BUT IF YOU HAVE A THIRD PEDAL THERE USE IT TRY IT IN SOME BODY ELSES CAR FIRST. LOL.

Mini Cooper S sport
its a piece of cake, i work in a garage and im always messing with customers cars or trucks on test drive. BUT IF YOU HAVE A THIRD PEDAL THERE USE IT TRY IT IN SOME BODY ELSES CAR FIRST. LOL.

Won't be taking my car to your place then ;)

yup, I've done it. It is spookey. You can get all the way upto 5th without any gas too if you let the car build speed on its own.