ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this where the tappets are located (image)

Clio 172 Cup
engine.gif

I'm having a lot of trouble with my engine being very tappety and noisy when idle (after being warmed up).

I've had the cam belt and aux belt changed about 10k ago. Not sure about the dephaser pulley though. I'm getting the oil flushed and changed at the weekend - last changed around 7k ago (not flushed though).

Anyway, the noise seems to be coming from the area where I've placed the red dot in the image above - and there is a lot of tapping / vibrating coming from that area. Is this the area where the tappets are located? Not a pic of my engine by the way LOL!

I also get a whooshing / rubbing sound from that area when revving the engine (around 2500 revs). It almost sounds like a light grating sound. If I pump the accelerator, the noise happens when the car is revving and also when the revs are dropping - straight after one another.

Any ideas what all this is pointing to?

Clio 172 Cup
fooooking hell dont say that :-(

If I need to change that, will I need to also change the other belts that have already been done????

Clio 172 Cup
ah right OK. Could the belt be the cause of the tapping too? I'm worried its the dephaser causing the grinding, and the tappets causing the awful tapping

S4 Avant
Tappets are not causing the tapping. Dephaser won't be causing the grinding and the belt will not cause you any tapping either.

The dephaser pulley will be worn.

Clio 172 Cup
does it all come as a kit, and how much would I be looking at just for the dephaser stuff? Is the dephaser pulley it known as anything else?

172 Cup
£166 for pulley, don't think you can get bolt separately. ALWAYS change belt kit if removing, don't be a fool! Will be about £500 quid to do unless you can do it yourself.