ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issue with brakes

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Ok need advice here.

Brake pedal is going to the floor on the trophy.

They clamped the rear brakes off and pessed the pedal all seems ok...
so they suggested the rear pads needed changed and to my amazement the pads were fine but eventually needed replaced at somepoint.

As i have been told before its more than likely the serveo witch i told the garage.

I have aquired a 2nd hand part to fit .. Im tempted to buy brand new but need more information, do these go wrong that often?
Do i fit a part worn part and deal with it in the future or do i just buy brand new?

I really need this fixed as its ruining the driving to work and back and having to keep my distance from other cars just incase

So advice needed,

Cheers

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Personally I'd be bleeding the brake fluid first, and see where things go from there, from my experiences a failing servo will make the pedal harder to press rather than softer (have you ever been towed without engine running and felt how the brakes changes without servo assist)

I may be wrong but I'd want to rule out the chance or there being air in the brakes first

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
No, as above with no servo it makes the pedal pretty solid. Check that there isn't a leak, rear lines are pretty poor in a few places for rotting through

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Personally I'd be bleeding the brake fluid first, and see where things go from there, from my experiences a failing servo will make the pedal harder to press rather than softer (have you ever been towed without engine running and felt how the brakes changes without servo assist)

I may be wrong but I'd want to rule out the chance or there being air in the brakes first

Ok .. if i keep the engine off and press the pedal that would show the serveo not working then?

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
No, as above with no servo it makes the pedal pretty solid. Check that there isn't a leak, rear lines are pretty poor in a few places for rotting through
Where can i get brand new rear brake pipes, might replace them first.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
The servo uses a vacuum to assist braking effort, which it receives from the engine, with no engine running there's no assistance. So yes if you try the brakes with engine off then your not using the servo unit, if the pedal is still going to the floor then your problem lies elsewhere

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Where can i get brand new rear brake pipes, might replace them first.

That the ones that go into the rear calipers? probably Renault only, the fronts and the ones for rear axle are available from most parts suppliers

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
That the ones that go into the rear calipers? probably Renault only, the fronts and the ones for rear axle are available from most parts suppliers
After checking the forum i believe george can provide some so al see what happens from there.
How would i know if the master cylinder was gubbed?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
After checking the forum i believe george can provide some so al see what happens from there.
How would i know if the master cylinder was gubbed?
Knew i was missing someone, as for master cylinder, normally either leaking fluid or constantly having air in brake lines

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Knew i was missing someone, as for master cylinder, normally either leaking fluid or constantly having air in brake lines
So effectively gubbed.. i think i need to get a pressure bleader on it and hopefully fluid will pish out where needs replaced?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
That's one way of looking at it, are there any obvious signs of leaking already?? Might be worth lifting the carpet under the pedals and have a look there too

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
That's one way of looking at it, are there any obvious signs of leaking already?? Might be worth lifting the carpet under the pedals and have a look there too
BOOM ... a while ago when i was driving im pretty sure i could feel some warm drips on my feet .. al have a check there mate :):)

Maybe getting somewhere now :)

Clio 172 Merc ML55
The whole servo/master cylinder assembly bolts into the bulkhead under the steering column, there's some sound deadening as well to move but it should be obvious if it is leaking

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Have you lost any fluid at all?
Not that I know of? Someone saying clutch bearing or something? Clutch hasn't changed? Now that I think about it though there is some kinda link but 100% sure it's not

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
No, completely different systems and not linked at all on a Clio.

The only reasons for a pedal going all the way to the floor is either air in the system or a leak.

Have you bled the brakes at all? Let the system get too low and put air into the abs pump? Cos that requires access to a CLIP to sort out.

When you say not that you know if have you had the stop light appear on cornering at all? That's a sign of low brake fluid.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Re-reading it whoever suggested a clutch bearing can't know much about how cars work! Ignore any other advice they give you on this subject!

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Re-reading it whoever suggested a clutch bearing can't know much about how cars work! Ignore any other advice they give you on this subject!
Never seen the light going on tbh.. So saying no... The guy wants to pressure bleed it... I think AL leave it to a garage to sort in Friday

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Update.. Brake pipe is burst and is causing the issue. Need new brake lines and Renault don't supply them any more. So need to get them made up.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
renault do still make the rear brake lines, i just ordered and received two the other week

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
renault do still make the rear brake lines, i just ordered and received two the other week
Hmm.. I spoke to Paul temple on Facebook and he said they no longer stock them.. Much u pay for them?

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
I went custom for mine as got fed up trying to find some, cost me £60 for the pair and it's a much better way of doing it IMO

1 pipe from the splitter box to the calliper now joins

440B36CE-A5D9-4A14-85FB-D86E10B9162E_zpszecmllvr.jpg

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I went custom for mine as got fed up trying to find some, cost me £60 for the pair and it's a much better way of doing it IMO

1 pipe from the splitter box to the calliper now joins

440B36CE-A5D9-4A14-85FB-D86E10B9162E_zpszecmllvr.jpg
Great idea .. mabe look into this actually.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
One of my mates are going to look over my car on monday ( he works for renault ) still cant see the issue.

Whats the best way to access brake lines from just after the serveo?
under the steering column removing the drivers wheel and in the wheel arch.

renault clio 1.4 16v
there is a small inspection hole that is covered by the arch but its not very big, you will be able to get to the immediate area around the servo, if your agile you can get to them from underneath... or the top more towards the abs unit