ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issue with starting

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
So, I've been having an issue for the past week or so, with the car not starting. It's hit and miss, but when it doesn't start, it doesn't try to engage or anything, just turn the key and nothing.

I believe it's an issue with the spade connector - I've had this issue in the past, but usually, after taking the drivers side wheel off, going in through the arch to the starter and having a play with the connector/cable, it's fine again and doesn't happen again for months. I did the same again this time and it hasn't cured it. I believe it was looked at when I had my service and cambelt change back in March too, the cable looks different to the original (it's normally green isn't it?)

The way I can get it started now is by getting a rod of some sort and hitting the heat-shield that sits between the exhaust manifold and the starter motor - I assume this it working because it's lightly moving the starter, which is making the connection work or something along these lines. This doesn't work every time though, normally I'll give it a few taps, try to start it, and it won't, and this can happen multiple times before it eventually starts.

Any ideas? Is it going to require a new starter motor? Doesn't seem the like the actual starter to me, I don't think it's sticking or anything like that.

@MicKPM know you're the electrics wizard.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Bump.

This is still happening. I had it up again a few days ago, had another play with the connector - it then started fine for about a week, but it's not starting again now - getting a bit tired of bodge starting.

I can't actually pull the cable off, is this normal? Does it use clips?