ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issues on Clio that need attention

Ph1 Clio 172
Hi guys

if any of you could give me Info on what can be done regarding these issue i would be very appreciative

* Shudder only when pulling away which causes Knocking noise in 1st - 3rd in front (may be from engine mounts)
* car has a sudden loss of power on the highway or if driven a little hard. the more you push the gas the more the car slows down. if you leave the peddle the power comes back only to happen again a few seconds later. if you leave car to idle or take out of gear and coast down a hill the car is fine again unit it happens again a little later. i had a the cat taken out as i thought, if blocked, would cause this problem, but no luck

These are the 2 issues that are my main concern

Thank you in advance

Ph1 Clio 172
Ok so what would cause the knocking noise? if i pull off on a slight hill it knocks like mad. ill try loosen engine mount on top left and pull forward tonight

Ph1 Clio 172
Clutch feels lumpy, which in turn makes the pull off shudder. when releasing the clutch quickly takes the shubber away, but in doing this causes the knocking noise. have not come right with this as no one can give me more infomation here in SA on the ph1 172
everyone i go to is either 50/50 on why there is a knocking noise and 100% of them cant tell me if my engine mouths and dog bone needs replacing

Getting rather fustrated

Ph1 Clio 172
Good day All

last week i had my Clutch and Engine mountings replaced. the Drive is amazing now, smoooooth

unfortunately there is still a noise (Knocking/vibration) when i pull off, not as bad but still there.

i have noticed a rubber that is perished on the power steering rack a little off center (think its a support clamp) easier to see when removing the left wheel and looking in. could this cause the noise? the lack of interest that i get from whom ever i take my car to is driving me dilly and need to try and narrow this down.

there is also a clicking noise when i turn the steering wheel.

your input is much appreciated as always

warm regards

Last edited:
  BMW 330cd
Knocking noise could be your exhaust or the exhaust mounts especially if you have a k-tec exhaust.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I replaced the engine mountings with K Tec ones and Powerflex dogbone bush. That's stopped all the problems with the exhaust hitting the floor. Have you checked the exhaust mountings? If they are old and perished they need replacing. The one for the back box tends to break up. Is the clicking sound on full lock? If so it might be worn CV joints on the driveshafts

Clio182
The steering wheel clicking... does it sound like the indicators cancelling? Im getting that too when turning the wheel, at random times. Not sure if this is a common problem or not.