ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It couldn’t last...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

...having a Cup with no problems that is!

Yesterday...parked up...went into Halfords to take some mats back...come back out and Ive got a 6 inch crack running from the drivers side lower corner diagonally up into my line-of-sight. I know it wasnt there before I went in as (very sad) in the heavy rain on my way there I was watching the wipers with great interest (!) as that wierd linkage did its bit to increase the swept area.

Having done a search it seems Im not alone, and Im far from happy about putting a claim on my insurance or stumping up the £60 excess.

If anyones has a similar tale please PM or e-mail me some details.

Thanks, Mark

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Claiming on your insurance wont do anything.. other than you having to pay that excess. However if you feel it was a manufacturing defect then take it back to renault and try to argue your case.

Thats what happens when the make glass thin...;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I know Im up against Renault...and will probably end up having to fork out for the excess.

How can the windscreen crack without an impact if its not down to a manufacturing issue? Proving it and getting Renault to agree will be the tricky bit...:(

Lee

BMW M2C

You would be amazed how weak the Cup windscreen is. At Santa Pod earlier this year y0z2a was re attaching his rear view mirror. As he pushed against the screen it cracked.

Im sure its cant be all that safe.

Clio v6

"Having done a search it seems Im not alone"

Just how much not alone are you? Enough to suspect a common fault? The thin glass idea does seem to make sense.

If the glass is than much thinner is fair to expect bills for new screens on a regular basis, is this simply all part and parcel of owning a weight saving car?

Let us know how you get on please.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

When you get your windscreen replaced, you could always get it replaed with a 172 one... most of the time unless you specifally tell them they fit a 172 one anyway as most dont realise the cup is a thinner one. Plus you will get the added bonues of a heat reflective, sound deadning windscreen, with little weight increse.

Cup 172

My windscreen was hit by a huge stone that a car in front flicked up at about 65 mph yesterday and it has hardly left a mark:eek:. At the time it sounded like the whole screen had gone and scared the sh*t out of me.

Might as well get a standard 172 screen as I cant see it being that much heavier than a CUP screen

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 15 December 2003
You would be amazed how weak the Cup windscreen is. At Santa Pod earlier this year y0z2a was re attaching his rear view mirror. As he pushed against the screen it cracked. Im sure its cant be all that safe.

:oops:

windscreens dont normally mean that you lose your no claims unless you have a funny policy.

£60 for a new screen isnt bad... just make sure you get the right colour - green/pink.

/y0z

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I dont have a problem with the fact that a new windscreen is only £60...more the fact that I might have to pay for one on a car thats barely a month old and has definitely not had anything hit the screen to cause it :mad:

Ive got fully protected NCD anyway and Im pretty certain that with Elephant it doesnt affect your NCD so if it comes to it Ill be OK (just £60 poorer) :(

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Just had a replacement fitted at an XS cost of £50 (Grrrrrr!) :mad:

The guy that fitted it pointed out that it had in fact been hit by something...right near the edge of the screen...and it would have cracked to the edge first...before working its way inwards.

Didnt happen when I was driving it...must have been when the delivery driver was clocking up the 308 miles to get it to me...a***!

At least they got the windscreen right...no heat relective insulating coating for me ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 15 December 2003

You would be amazed how weak the Cup windscreen is. At Santa Pod earlier this year y0z2a was re attaching his rear view mirror. As he pushed against the screen it cracked.

Im sure its cant be all that safe.

Thats certainly the most extreme bit of weight saving for a 1/4 mile I have come across, top marks! ;)