ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IT in 10 Years

I'm sorry but using Steam as an example is pretty bad when the head of Steam the other day famously said that TV consoles and interactive TV's like the new Apple TV that's coming out will kill pc gaming dead

So much so that Steam are releasing their own console LOL

PC's with dedicated graphics cards - yawn, that will include £20 budget cards too, it would even include macs that aren't used for gaming
And my original point still stands - even if there's 10 million or 15million pc gamers it's still a small percentage of PC sales so if business's migrate to other platforms it will still have enough of an impact to increase hardware prices etc.. etc.. etc.. blah blah yawn. This is turning into an xbox vs ps3 vs pc argument. Apple rules! Woo!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
There's no way Microsoft will still be around in 10 years - if they are it will just be xbox and office.
Their business model for OS's (bundling it free with new hardware) just doesn't work these days when people want a laptop for £250. Trying to force people to upgrade doesn't work either - just look at all the people/companies still on XP.

Linux/OSX will be the future - they just need to get better server OS's if they're going to conquer business's

Home users will just be using tablets - more and more of my friends have ditched computers for tablets. Easier to lounge on the sofa and surf the net etc... and no mouse, better interface.
Just look at the experience you get with an iPad for ebay compared to the web interface *shudders*

You are forgetting about all the other stuff they do, windows server, sql server, visual studio etc.

Bumder With A Buffer
My pc logs into steam, I last actually used it a couple of years ago though. I'm not sure your figures are comparable to a paid service like the Xbox stuff where if people are logged on they are probably actually using it.

Yes but your a tiny tiny minority.

I have an Xbox that NEVER connects to the net yet I use it all the time. But in the same regard to my first statement im the tiny tiny minority..

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at PC gaming being dead! Every time a new console comes out, some bright spark claims that it's going to kill off the PC.. and it never does.

Bumder With A Buffer
Indeed.

I recently got back into PC gaming after being console for years and years. I know numerous people that have gone the same way too.

That must mean im right...hey?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
LOL at PC gaming being dead! Every time a new console comes out, some bright spark claims that it's going to kill off the PC.. and it never does.

Yep, and one of the main reasons for this imo is because PC gamers don't have to wait for the next gen console to get the spec system they want.

F82 M4
I'm sorry but using Steam as an example is pretty bad when the head of Steam the other day famously said that TV consoles and interactive TV's like the new Apple TV that's coming out will kill pc gaming dead

So much so that Steam are releasing their own console LOL

PC's with dedicated graphics cards - yawn, that will include £20 budget cards too, it would even include macs that aren't used for gaming
And my original point still stands - even if there's 10 million or 15million pc gamers it's still a small percentage of PC sales so if business's migrate to other platforms it will still have enough of an impact to increase hardware prices etc.. etc.. etc.. blah blah yawn. This is turning into an xbox vs ps3 vs pc argument. Apple rules! Woo!

The "head" of Steam? Are you talking about Gabe Newell? Probably the most successful person in the world through computer games? LOL!

All Gabe said was that Apple TV is their biggest threat for the Steam Box but Apple doesn't have the hardware to do it. I think you are clearly mistaken with everything you said to be honest.

My £100 bet still stands.

Last edited:
  RIP Dan
The difference now to 5 years ago for me?

I have moved from PC to Mac.

Never thought I would tbh as I hated all the bullshit with old Macs, plugins not working, having to get d/ls all the time and the general incompatibility.

If PCs change in the next few years, again, I will consider my options when it's time to upgrade.

I choose what is best for me, not what is fashionable.

The "head" of Steam? Are you talking about Gabe Newell? Probably the most successful person in the world through computer games? LOL!

All Gabe said was that Apple TV is their biggest threat for the Steam Box but Apple doesn't have the hardware to do it. I think you are clearly mistaken with everything you said to be honest.

My £100 bet still stands.

If steam thought there was a strong PC gaming future - why would they make the steam box?

If steam thought there was a strong PC gaming future - why would they make the steam box?

Because Steam is a business. Business like to make as much money as possible. Expanding into the console market will make them more money, lots of people do game on pc's and no it's not going to just disappear as you say, however there are other people who also use consoles so why not make so money out of them?

Clio 172
LOL at consoles killing pcs.

I game on my pc (plugged into my TV FYI, so your moans about 50" vs 22" are moot) because it offers f**king superb performance, even more compared with PS3/360.

The fact I plug it into my TV means its as good as a console, with much better performance.

If the new consoles will be better? I don't know, but I highly doubt it

LOL at consoles killing pcs.

I game on my pc (plugged into my TV FYI, so your moans about 50" vs 22" are moot) because it offers f**king superb performance, even more compared with PS3/360.

The fact I plug it into my TV means its as good as a console, with much better performance.

If the new consoles will be better? I don't know, but I highly doubt it

Same as my brother, well 32" tv. And it's better than a console, because it can also be used for high quality films, music, internet etc!

Consoles will not kill pc's