ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB's Maintenance / Owners Experiences

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Im currently seriously thinking about getting ITB's fitted to my car, and after having the car fitted with cams and mapped it seems like the logical next step. Having seen the quality of work of the Tour De Force AT Power kit, and the way the Burpspeed car starts runs and idles im 95% sure this is the kit i will go for.

My questions are:

How do you find day to day drivability of the car, my car is my daily runner so i want to make sure its still ok to pootle around in.

Do the throttles need balancing very often? Im worried about potential maintenance i couldn't do myself.

Fuel Consumption! I am aware i will lose some fuel consumption, but i have been told by a few people the difference isn't massive, whats the average sort MPG your getting?

And if you had an AC car, did you remove the ac?

Cheers

Dave :cool:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Look at the history on this forum mate.

99% of people that have fitted bodies have either sold the car or broken it for parts. There is only one (to my knowledge) that has kept his car but its a track only car now.

182cup & 172 racecar
A lot of of people had problems with them but most of this was electrical.Nothing is maintenance free but you won't have your head under the bonnet every 5 mins.Some have said fuel consumption has improved with ITB,depends how you drive it of course

340i
If you are now considering ITB's why did you spend 1K odd (I imagine) fitting cams, mapping to suit...

Now you are considering port throttles but don't have the "best" cam profile to suit?

IMO I would of gone straight for bodies, you've spent almost half the cost on fitting cams / mapping the standard ECU that the ITB install would cost :(

I personally wouldn't fit itbs at all, you don't need them. A lot of money for not much gains.
Spend the money on track days or something similar.

Golf GTD Mk7
If you are now considering ITB's why did you spend 1K odd (I imagine) fitting cams, mapping to suit...

Now you are considering port throttles but don't have the "best" cam profile to suit?

IMO I would of gone straight for bodies, you've spent almost half the cost on fitting cams / mapping the standard ECU that the ITB install would cost :(

Or the JMS kit rather than ITBs really. No wiring messing. Standard ECU etc. Around the same power gains (think torque is a bit lower, but nothing major). ~£1500 fitted from memory.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I don't have bodies but here's my point: If the sound they make (which is awesome) won't get you mad over time then I don't see why they would be different to a normal car day to day. It's not like fitting a sadev g-box which is un-driveable around town. The engine will remain NA, smooth power delivery, more low down grunt and not much difference in mpg's. Probably they would need a bit of extra care and maintenance but that's part of the experience of having them which can be pleasant why not? ;)

I ran mine as a daily, and did it for under £1k. as did Russ. if you do a bit of work yourself, and do some searching about for bargains, you could do it for about the same price, then the most expensive part would be mapping.

Cro

Meg'd r27
I'm in the same boat as dan, and run mine as a daily. Only maintenance I would do really is clean the trumpets the odd time

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Electrical stuff shouldnt be an issue tony, id be getting mat to do a new loom at the same time...

I got the cams at an absolute steal, so seemed like a good idea, dont regret it one bit, needed belts doing so why not?

The cam profile will perform well with bodies, people are to quick to slate the 428's because there not the wildest, but 13 bhp and 6 ft lb on standard inlets is good going, for any cams, schricks don't do any more, except cost a lot more £££

Is starting an issue in the frosty weather for any of you guys?

Ph1
I personally wouldn't fit itbs at all, you don't need them. A lot of money for not much gains.
Spend the money on track days or something similar.

Guessing you never saw the Youtube vid of the TB'd up phase 1 blowing a 280bhp+ old shaped Scooby Sti into the weeds?

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
The thread was for owners experiences in relation to the questions I asked about day to day drivability, what I choose to do to my car with my money is a decision for me.

I'm getting ITBs I just wanted advice on possible drawbacks

Ph1
Electrical stuff shouldnt be an issue tony, id be getting mat to do a new loom at the same time...

I got the cams at an absolute steal, so seemed like a good idea, dont regret it one bit, needed belts doing so why not?

The cam profile will perform well with bodies, people are to quick to slate the 428's because there not the wildest, but 13 bhp and 6 ft lb on standard inlets is good going, for any cams, schricks don't do any more, except cost a lot more £££

Is starting an issue in the frosty weather for any of you guys?

Mate, sack off the rolling road being gospal talk. Any figure is only as good as the rollers its on ;)

Schricks will give more power, their a wilder cam.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
The thread was for owners experiences in relation to the questions I asked about day to day drivability, what I choose to do to my car with my money is a decision for me.

I'm getting ITBs I just wanted advice on possible drawbacks

Dave you will love them.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Had the ktec kit fitted to my cup mate back in aug and haven't looked back listen to toby!!
On a run the fuel is bout the same if not a little better but obviously if you have a lead right foot it drinks a fair gulp.
It drives pretty much the same as before pretty smooth round town but when you plant it, its a different animal.
Since the weather has gotten colder in the morning it needs a couple of throttle blips now to wake it up and get it running but then that is at 6 :(
Sharkey has over laid my rr graph over his on rebel that was done back to back and its quite interesting

TrackCar & F30 330d
I have run ITB's for a year now and the only thing which has caused me problems is the silly second hand wiring loom, Apart from the loom the car has run like a dream.

Good parts,

Having this sound when you floor it -

Depending on how its mapped could have proper flames (gets better at the end)

Much quicker throttle responce

Car feels much quicker

Having Areocatches on your bonnet is cool lol

Bad bits, only getting 30-35mpg but really depends on how you drive

Loose cruse control ect

You can still keep your AC, mine worked fine untill i decided to remove it.

PM me if you want to buy my old ITB susage filter

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you have now, and what ITB's will give you extra, i wouldnt bother.

You will have spent like £3k ish in total or maybe more? Should have SC'd it from the start really. Id stick with it as it is, and save the money.

Just my 2 pence.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Graph of back to back runs of my cup and sharkys trophy with inlets and remap. Ignore the wheel horsepower somethin to do with it being a maha dyno . but you get the idea. Mine is in bold ;)
itb_vs_me.gif

182cup & 172 racecar
I think Dave knows he's not going to get 280bhp but he wants itb's,thats fair enough good for him.All the haters is like saying why buy that Porka 911
When a Twingo will do,they are both cars, both will get you from A to B.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Had the ktec kit fitted to my cup mate back in aug and haven't looked back listen to toby!!
On a run the fuel is bout the same if not a little better but obviously if you have a lead right foot it drinks a fair gulp.
It drives pretty much the same as before pretty smooth round town but when you plant it, its a different animal.
Since the weather has gotten colder in the morning it needs a couple of throttle blips now to wake it up and get it running but then that is at 6 :(
Sharkey has over laid my rr graph over his on rebel that was done back to back and its quite interesting

You got any pics of your sdet up?? Im guessing your using the gen90 ecu, what do you trhink of it so far?? Everything work as it should (except cc obviously)

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Yep using the gen90 ecu it seems fine so far no real problems to speak of just petrol light comes on at half a tank but ktec were sortin me an update. Cant fault it for a drive in drive out coversion. Will bang a few photo's up later that i have on my laptop

Ph1
The only reason not to go TB's is you could get more power going down a different route vs the cost but on the plus side not everyone wants stupid levels of power and all the issues that come with it plus ITB's are ''probably'' the best performance vs reliability?

You could go down the JMS inlet route and you'd only need your map tweeked so would be at the cheaper rate of iirc £1100 area?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I had them few months back together with a Gripper plated diff and loads of other stuff like bushes and stuff. Got a £6k plus bill and as soon a I drove the car I thought yes its 'ok' and 'whoops'
because its STILL just a little Clio and its not that much better than when it was all standard! They are great little cars as standard. You start spending big money on them like I did. (£20k in few months!!!) and you are must missing the point!

ATpower ITB's... Its not an everyday car, but it could be used everyday easily. No problems with cold start and fuel economy improved I think.

They are alot of money for not much extra power at all. Unless you are pretty wealthy or planning to keep the car for a LOOONG time.... I really wouldn't bother at all.

You are never gonna have a really fast car with a 2.0 litre atmo engine in a Clio. So I would NOT fit the ITB's unless you are keeping the car or just love it and dont mind wasting money on it.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
the thing is the biggest gains usually are not at peak power when it comes to throttlebodies.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Well I'm still in the thinking stage at the mo, sc would be epic but need more info on the pulley / belt slipping issues and weather the megane keyway'd pulley solves the problem

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Dave don't sway and change your mind, stick to getting TB's. You know it makes sense!

Suzuki Jimny
I wouldn't take the RR figures from powerstation too seriously, my 172 made 181bhp and it's pretty much standard.

Cro

Meg'd r27

Well if chris' noise doesn't push you over the edge maybe mine will :rasp: Shameless asw

Last edited by a moderator:
  Ph1
I had them few months back together with a Gripper plated diff and loads of other stuff like bushes and stuff. Got a £6k plus bill and as soon a I drove the car I thought yes its 'ok' and 'whoops'
because its STILL just a little Clio and its not that much better than when it was all standard! They are great little cars as standard. You start spending big money on them like I did. (£20k in few months!!!) and you are must missing the point!

ATpower ITB's... Its not an everyday car, but it could be used everyday easily. No problems with cold start and fuel economy improved I think.

They are alot of money for not much extra power at all. Unless you are pretty wealthy or planning to keep the car for a LOOONG time.... I really wouldn't bother at all.

You are never gonna have a really fast car with a 2.0 litre atmo engine in a Clio. So I would NOT fit the ITB's unless you are keeping the car or just love it and dont mind wasting money on it.

20k ?!?! WTF

For that kinda cash you should have the quickest Clio on the forum