ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB's, Turbo'd or SC'd?

Evo 5 RS
It's not that simple though is it - when the clio is standard the power is more than enough. Track days are fun and it's giggles all round
But when you up-rate the suspension, brakes, tyres and make the car grip and stop better you obviously want more power to take advantage of that work

What car would you buy for £8k that would be as much fun on a track day as a stripped, caged, ITB'd clio?

Evo 8

lol js' kiddin

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
*ahem* - no offense but what a load of crap

Is it though? Really. You forget, i've been there, done that & got the T-Shirt, hence the advice.

In fact, i had a wail of a time scraping the doorhandles off your cup at the 'ring, with just a set of DS2500's ;)

It's not that simple though is it - when the clio is standard the power is more than enough. Track days are fun and it's giggles all round. But when you up-rate the suspension, brakes, tyres and make the car grip and stop better you obviously want more power to take advantage of that work

As soon as you fit coilovers, extra camber, R888's and various strut braces you lose the 'dancing' feeling of the standard car, it becomes almost too capable and to be honest, it starts to feel underpowered & slow. Then you want cams/ITB's and 200bhp, so it doesnt feel so flat, but then you've stuck 3 grand into your cheapo clio & to be honest, its still be underpowered for the chassis, & well, a bit boring, no power oversteer or lurid sliding, just the same stuff as before, hooning around that little bit quicker, able to overtake everything in sight with your eyes closed.

So, Mr OP, whilst you're in the early stages of the trackday bug, try to remember why the clio is so great in 1st place, & dont get sucked in by the barrage of 'fit coilovers', 'slam it on the deck with loads of camber', & 'OMG you need solid top mounts or your engine will fall out'.

What car would you buy for £8k that would be as much fun on a track day as a stripped, caged, ITB'd clio?

A standard one for £1500, £500 of new brakes/tyres & £6000 worth of track days.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
A Westfield AND an MX-5.

I fitted rear ARB, then more front camber, better suspension, got a remap, got it serviced, stripped it, fitted an exhaust, removed the fogs and arch liners and fitted decent brakes.

You're saying after all that when the car is handling spot on and stopping on a 5p coin that if you want more power you should just sell up with a massive financial loss and buy a quicker car?

What exactly is a quicker car - on track to keep up with my clio you'd have to be talking tuned evo - and that's a LOT more than the £3k ITB's cost
I think he means INSTEAD of spending such a large amount on a Clio, you could buy a faster car than a modded Clio straight off, for the same/less money.

Supercharged MX-5 or reasonable Westfield (etc) spring to mind as cars that would keep up with a quick Clio, for the same/less cash.

All that said - half the fun, for me, is doing all these modifications and getting my mitts grubby :) I do think though, personally, that there is only so far you can go modding a car until it becomes 'pointless' and you should just get a faster 'base'.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
All that said - half the fun, for me, is doing all these modifications and getting my mitts grubby :)

Same. Hence why i still have the clio !!

In addition, when you find yourself owning a much much faster/better car than the clio, you soon realise why the clio is so awesome in the 1st place.

Its not massively quick, but it is massively fun at lowish speeds, so actually the enjoyment is actually usable on the road as well as track.

There's "fun" and there's "FUN" Dave

I had a good time throwing the same Clio around the ring with just DS2500's and brembo HC discs - it still had a full leather interior
On a 1-10 fun scale with 10 being piss your pants giggling - it was a good 7 or 8. Chasing porsches was awesome

However with a full cage, 100kg less, full group n exhaust, buckets, harnesses and ITB's it's easily an 11 on the fun scale.
Is it worth the £8-10k that it's cost to build? You bet your f**king back teeth it is!!

Westfields hold the clio up on track, so do evo's. And I am a fully s**t driver AND it's still on road tyres

Also you can't beat being a s**t load quicker on track than people who think they have a "properly quick car" in a Clio! ;)

Evo 5 RS
Don't get me wrong my cars pretty quick but do you honestly think with a capable pilot your cup is quicker than a Westfield? lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbo charge an ITB'd car. Do it. Go on.

Very little point TBH, slightly better throttle response is about all it will achieve compared to turboing one on a single throttle and the potential for problems if the ITB's go out of balance is quite large, not to mention extra expense etc.

Listerine & Poledo
twin-charge a Clio.

with Cams.

and a straight-through piece of scaffolding for an exhaust

EDIT: @Chip...... Twin-charging a Clio? Done or not? Doable? Driveable Point? Cost? Explosive?

Listerine & Poledo
No no no.

Buy an e36 M3.
Weld a clio bodyshell on top.

Instant ITBs, 300bhp & RWD. Win.

Oh dave dave dave, have I not inferred anything over these past months.

Smartuki Roadster-turbo

190-280 hp
sequential box, rear-drive
19k revs
weigh the same as a mini

Listerine & Poledo
I was more thinking of a word from Chip on twin-charging a Clio.

Not that I would, just has it been done.

Would the supercharger would mean you could run silly-high boost on a turbo whilst minising lag, and stuff like that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was more thinking of a word from Chip on twin-charging a Clio.

Not that I would, just has it been done.

Would the supercharger would mean you could run silly-high boost on a turbo whilst minising lag, and stuff like that.

Compound charging is an interesting subject but probably "off topic" for this thread about a trackday clio, as you can already get more than enough power for any trackday fwd car (ie 400bhp+) from a single turbo or supercharger without it driving badly anyway.

182 Turbo
Get a 205 gti with a 306 gti-6 conversion and then supercharge it with a diff,
That's something that is fun and would cost less than £8k and piss over a clio on track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Get a 205 gti with a 306 gti-6 conversion and then supercharge it with a diff,
That's something that is fun and would cost less than £8k and piss over a clio on track.

Not a bad option, although quite hard to find a 205 that isnt rotten these days.

But at least the gearbox are stronger than the renault ones, and the cars handle just as well.

My mate steve has done exactly this, and his 205 is a PROPER weapon on track.

He can do combe in the wet as quick as I can in my 172 in the dry!

Listerine & Poledo
Compound charging is an interesting subject but probably "off topic" for this thread about a trackday clio, as you can already get more than enough power for any trackday fwd car (ie 400bhp+) from a single turbo or supercharger without it driving badly anyway.

I'd like to know more about it though, any good documents / reports on it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd like to know more about it though, any good documents / reports on it?

Not that im aware of, but if you start a topic asking about it im sure that I and others can reply with some info.
Im probably going to be doing my nova in a few months, with a small charger to aid spool and a 500bhp+ turbo for the top end stuff.

Tractor pulling is the biggest place its used, those boys go to well over 100psi with multiple turbos feeding into each other etc!

ITB'd 172 Cup
Mine is ITB'd and cammed, goes round a track aswell as 9 out of 10 cars ive come across on track, includng all the clios ive come across (so far)

Also have willwoods which helps but only raceland coilovers unfotunately, yet to try one with bilsteins or a better brand to compare.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
My opinion: listen to the reasonable part in you then listen to the "child" and what he really wants and then do as the stronger part tell you. The important thing is for you to enjoy the car.
This could mean the 1 year savings for some one thrown in a super charger kit or smth. this may sound stupid or even mad for other reasonable lads.
I think that if you can afford either ITB/charger/turbo than go for one, you just have to pick the mod that makes you happier, and this depends on what type of person you are. I won't point fingers at someone spending 3000 on a ITB kit or at someone who spends the same amount on brakes/tyres/suspension and driving lessons.
on topic-I'd go for the ITB kit because
1. it is bloody awesome to listen to
2. looks f***g cool under the bonnet
3. it's the most reliable way to increase power
4. you don't need 300 bhp in a clio

350z, Subaru Legacy
3. it's the most reliable way to increase power

I haven't necessarily found ITB's the most reliable. Mine aren't horribly unreliable per se, but I know someone who has a turbo-charged 172 (courtesy of Engine Dynamics) and it is very, very reliable. Makes me a little jealous, BUT the noisy pedal on my car is hard to match! Yes it's a 4 pot, but a bl**dy nice sounding one :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ITBs should have very little impact on reliability if properly mapped etc, as lets face it they only gain a couple of dozen bhp anyway, so nothing is under very much more strain.
Just be careful how far you rev it on standard rod bolts!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I haven't necessarily found ITB's the most reliable. Mine aren't horribly unreliable per se, but I know someone who has a turbo-charged 172 (courtesy of Engine Dynamics) and it is very, very reliable. Makes me a little jealous, BUT the noisy pedal on my car is hard to match! Yes it's a 4 pot, but a bl**dy nice sounding one :)

turbo clio, yeah nice (I've been in a 400bhp ph1) but the poor little renault box can't handle too much torque we all know that. one more reason to go NA tuning
sound wise hmm... one turbo vs 4 trumpets.. I pick number two ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
turbo clio, yeah nice (I've been in a 400bhp ph1) but the poor little renault box can't handle too much torque we all know that. one more reason to go NA tuning
sound wise hmm... one turbo vs 4 trumpets.. I pick number two ;)

Im not convinced on that torque comment TBH, I used to think the same, but im starting to think the boxes are even worse at handling revs. Its common for ITB cars to kill the box and I used to think it was cause of the small torque increase, but I now think maybe its due to the increased use of high RPM on ITB cars.

My mk1 has naff all torque (like about 130lbft or something) and yet I get through loads of boxes (early ones and also 172 ones) on track at 7800rpm a lot, where as Jack from MWM has almost exactly double that torque, but tends not to rev his over 7K (no need even on track due to the monster midrange torque) and hasnt killed a box yet.

clio 200 F4Rt
Half of this thread is full of crap,

and 95% of this forum!

To the OP. For track work, go ITB's. It eliminates any heat issues that can be suffered from forced induction, plus the better throttle response etc etc etc.

I used to have a 230ish bhp ITB 182 engine in a 172. at full chat on track it was very exciting.

Evo 5 RS
That is what I am saying, dont set the rev limit too high on standard bolts.

7500rpm is about all they are generally considered safe too for longish periods.

7,800 on stock rod bolts ;) Got some ARP ones this time round though. I never fancied keeping it up there all that much. I've never had any reliability issues with ITBs. Only problem I had when I first started out was a crappy TPS. (dodgy filter elements aside)

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
7,800 on stock rod bolts ;)

Not sure what the winky icon is all about but if you think you are correcting me that they are actually safe at 7800rpm where I say they are a big risk then you are wrong, its very much a matter of luck at those rpm on standard bolts, some people get away with it for a while, but often they dont, its just a stupid risk to be taking when it takes 2 hours and 60 quid to have it on ARP bolts!

Evo 5 RS
No the wink very much meant the opposite, it was something I just never got round to doing lol. That engine is now dead anyway (albeit not because of that)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No the wink very much meant the opposite, it was something I just never got round to doing lol. That engine is now dead anyway.

Ah fair enough mate, so much bad information on here that its not always to spot when something is just a joke.

They fatigue over time, so you'll almost always get away with it for a while, but just not worth the risk when its such an easy fix.

Ours is limited till 7500rpm till I get round to doing it, then i'll raise it to 7800.