ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's a job for a Dell guru!!!

ICE'dberg MK2 172
Can anyone help me....????????????

I have a Dell D505 laptop. It's my old one from work as i've now been given a new one because the OS went screwy and as it was due for replacing they gave me a new one and said if i could fix it then i could keep it as they have no time to rebuild and it was out of warranty anyway.

What i need is.... The Bios resetting back to factory.

Story goes like this..... It has a bios password protection...I know the password.... but the OS went really strange and wouldn't boot.

So I thought it was Xp ....so I reloaded it. Now when I boot it I have no bios password screen and it tells me I have "no bootable drive". The strange thing is that when it first starts up i can enter F12 to enter the boot sequence or F2 to enter bios settings. When I press F2 and enter the bios there is NO password set..... it says disabled.
When I press F12 and select to boot from Internal HDD it boots fine!!!!!!! However.... after booting this way for about 5 times it now says a "pcisys.dll" is missing, so disabling the laptop.

So.... I guess this means it's gone into defence mode. Which is why I need the Bios factory resetting.

However... I can't repair Xp from disc as it is asking me for the admin password and i don't know it and my IT won't give it to me as it's the same one thats on my new one....knobs!!

Has anyone got any software that can do this or can anyone do this for me???? or any ideas ???? it's a shame to throw it in the bin!!!!

Last edited:
  500bhp Scoob
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2969.html

Basically it changes a couple of values in the Cmos so it resets back to factory standard. Have used it many times before, especially when I was at school, so I could bring in my own software (mainly keyloggers to get admins passwords etc on floppy disk).

Worked a treat, I still use it now when I get a persons computer that has been passworded in the bios

ICE'dberg MK2 172
problem is i can't boot it ....

also the app is to be run in DOS....what ever that is ...LOL!!! see what your up against!!!

500bhp Scoob
does the laptop have a floppy disk drive? if so i'll make a bootable floppy disk image, and send it over, you then just run the floppy disk creator program and just boot up the laptop, which'll boot up the floppy disk, and reset the bios to factory settings

ICE'dberg MK2 172
Mole said:
does the laptop have a floppy disk drive? if so i'll make a bootable floppy disk image, and send it over, you then just run the floppy disk creator program and just boot up the laptop, which'll boot up the floppy disk, and reset the bios to factory settings

Yeah... got a floppy drive.

THANKS... you're a star. Where are you?? can I fetch it?? or shall I send you an SAE???

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
mole - s**t dude, keulogging admin passwords! careful now u could land urself in quite a bit of trouble for that!

ICE'dberg MK2 172
David said:
mole - sh*t dude, keulogging admin passwords! careful now u could land urself in quite a bit of trouble for that!

why?? it's not stolen, i've been given it by my company that said it's no good to them. Dell don't want to offer support because they want to seel you a new one.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
chris172 - i was talking to mole...which is why it says 'mole - ...' at the beginning of my post...

ICE'dberg MK2 172
David said:
chris172 - i was talking to mole...which is why it says 'mole - ...' at the beginning of my post...

yeah i know... but again why would he be introuble??

172 Exclusive
Daft question, but are you sure the hard drive hasen't failed.
Only reason i ask is that we have D505's at work and recently 3 of them have had hard drive failures, just as they are out of warrenty as well.

Oh and can you not do a clean install of windows, rather then trying to repair it?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
becuase of stealing administrator passwords via use of illegal software mate....

ICE'dberg MK2 172
Andy_M said:
Daft question, but are you sure the hard drive hasen't failed.
Only reason i ask is that we have D505's at work and recently 3 of them have had hard drive failures, just as they are out of warrenty as well.

Oh and can you not do a clean install of windows, rather then trying to repair it?

HDD booted fine in my new Dell 505, and yes I did and can do again a clean install..... but i'll still have the "no bootable drive" problem :(

ICE'dberg MK2 172
David said:
becuase of stealing administrator passwords via use of illegal software mate....

ok... but i guess as it's mine he would not be stealing the password but using the software is the problem.

oh well....

Mole PM me!!!! LOL!!!!!!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
actually mate i think what he suggested to you isn't stealing the password at all. he gace u a link to a bios reset facility which will effectively clear the cmos and remove the password altogether theoretically. try it and c if it works!

ICE'dberg MK2 172
David said:
actually mate i think what he suggested to you isn't stealing the password at all. he gace u a link to a bios reset facility which will effectively clear the cmos and remove the password altogether theoretically. try it and c if it works!

do you know how to make a bootable floppy in dos so I can run the app.... i'm a plank where pc's are concerned

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh sure. try this, goto my computer, put ur floopy in the drive. right click the a: icon and then goto format disk....then at the bottom it should have an option like make bootable or startupdisk or something like that....then click format and it'll do it for you...

otherwise i think www.bootdisk.com is a site which has copies of all the bootable floppys to date...(if not try googling it).

once u done this, leave the disk in the drive and reset the machine it should boot off the floopy..

then once it boots to dos u shud be able to insert the program that he suggested and see what happens...i have never used his program by the way so it may even be bootable on it's own...

500bhp Scoob
David said:
mole - sh*t dude, keulogging admin passwords! careful now u could land urself in quite a bit of trouble for that!

That was back in my school days, about 5 years ago, only did it to get a teachers password, but ended up getting the network administrators one instead, which was a bonus, the stupid idiot had a word document on his account listing the usernames and passwords for everything, from the isdn router they used, to the browser software program that needed a password to change to unfiltered access, and also the password for the proxy server to add a 'trusted' site.

Had much fun doing that lol.

As for the bootdisk, I've taken a copy of the Windows 98 bootdisk, and put the killcmos program on there, when it gets to a prompt like this:

A:\>
just type in killcmos and then press enter, and it should reset the bios for you, sometimes it'll reboot the computer, sometimes it doesnt, just reboot after you've run killcmos.

You should then be able to access the bios.

Download and run this file, basically it extracts a bootdisk onto a floppy disk, so make sure you got a floppy disk that you can use :)
KillCMOS Bootdisk Maker