ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"It's french..."

This has to be the most overused phrase ever, it does my tits in. Far too many times have I seen a Clio or other French car being dismissed as "french" or "omgz it'll fall apart" when quite clearly the person has no clue, far too ignorant.

Corsa owner in peace here by the way, although I am looking for a 182 just now and should have one in the near future, but just about every thread/post I see on other forums about a Clio or similar French car it's always "it's French" which has to be one of the worst statements ever.

Especially when these statements come from Vauxhall Corsa owners, CV joints made of cheese anyone? :rasp:

ur megane r26
haha all cars have there dissadvantages mate, and french cars are known to be made on the cheap, hence the it'll fall apart statement but they also have good things about them to, example. the 1*2 is a very quick, good handling, bloody gorgeous looking car and is cheap to buy and run compared to other so its what you make of them really.

Yeah I suppose they don't get a reputation for nothing. But I think that other manufacturers such as Vauxhall are just as bad, yet people don't immediately dismiss them as "falling apart" or similar which I think is odd when they are in the same boat really.

ur megane r26
yer they just have different problems, but i can see where your coming from, when i was telling my mechanic mates i was looking for another car they were all giving it dont buy another renault it will fall apart, but i think that is just the rep it has built up over the years, they are better now, but citroen are one of the worst i believe, i mean just look at the saxo.

Mental note to self - remember this username and wait for the 'steering wheel melted' & 'exhaust fell off' threads. It WILL fall apart, it's French ;)

Nah they aren't all that bad really, but they're cheap because they're relatively cheaply engineered. Pays your money etc.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my clio history....

clio number one, 1.2 16v dynamique 2002 quite hapily done 140k miles in 4 years, and it still drives about to this day never had one problem, brake down etc apart from a snapped cambelt (my fault)

clio number two, 2.0 16v 172 2003 only done 45k miles but HARD HARD miles, only been used as a toy and took a complete hammering, never had an issue apart from a blowing exhaust

clio number three, 1.5 dci dynamique 2001, nearly 160k miles still pulls brilliantly, only ever needed brakes and a boost pipe in the time ive owned it, runs sweet as a nut!

my mates all drive jap cars and its funny when the 172 spanks them and they reply "its still french" maby its just me but the country its from shouldnt matter when its faster, better to drive and better looking (even they admit that!)

320d
Tbh I don't think any cars now have good build quality etc. My Grandads 56 plate Toyota Verso has a pretty bad dash rattle. I've seen a 58 plate astra being pushed off a roundabout in rush hour etc.

I wouldn't think twice about buying another renault (well renaultsport)

SLK 350
The problem isn't necessarily the cars, it's the useless franchised dealer network and shoddy warranty that's the issue.

With Audi/Toyota, you know that if someone does go bang it'll be replaced and you'll drive away in a comfy courtesy car, full of hot Tea and biscuits. With Renault you end up getting the bus home, full of rage after arguing point 1.1.5.6 Act 3 of your warranty which stipulates:

"No warranty claims will be accepted on every second Tuesday of the month"

They're such a bunch of tards, and they alone would stop me wanting another Renault...lost count the amount of times I was let down, or messed about.

If it wasn't so much fun to drive I would of sacked it off long ago, as said built to a price, mines also starting to get to the age where i needs things.

Usually VAG owners tbh.

They are the biggest badge snobs going imo.

Dont know what they are missing.

agreed fella, all heavy lumps, look at the polo gti's more of a luke warm/ tepid hatch :rasp:

The whole french thing does happen for a reason. Every clio has its own special set of problems (just like alphas) but at the end of the day they spent the time and money where it matters, engine, handling, looks.

Saying that I wouldn't own a clio if it wasn't a Renault sport, the abilities of my 182 make it what it is, couldnt own a 1.2 clio lol the agro of dash rattles and nothing else!

172 ph1
the 172 I have now seems to have more issues than all the cars me and my family have had combined - a Opel Kadett, Rover 620, Mini Cooper, 320Cd, Mini Cooper S, Z4 3.0, Skoda Fabia, Peugeot 206...

loose exhaust pipe, dying battery, engine/gearbox mount issues, flaky steering wheel, mirror adjusters which don't work, and all sorts of rattles

Laguna 2, Westfield
unfortunately it is the case :(

it is french. it will die

Buy something else then maybe??

Both my french cars are fine 182 doesn't rattle at all, my Laguna has done 116k and drives like new and nothing ever falls off. Its got a few rattles but its over 8 years old and never breaks down.
In comparison some of the new cars at my work are dreadful.. how about a 120i bmw 07 plate having 4 new injectors and a new steering rack all under 15k miles old. Or the brand new passat having a new clutch/flywheel..

Depends if your lucky i spose/or look after it.(which most people don't)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This is all easy said and alot of people will say that a car is only as good as its treated, there may be or not be truth in this. But to be honest i personally think its just your donald duck when it comes to how good or bad they are.

You either get a monday morning car or a friday afternoon car.

For all the compalin, if you dont like it then move on elsewhere!

Ph1
From folk i know, the Sport versions do seem to give less problems than the run of the mill versions.
This could be down to the different factory thing?

Lot of my mates used to s**g the French thing but soon shut up once they get their ar5e tanned good and proper. Totally owned my mate in his new Golf R32 and never seen anyone look as gutted and embarrased lol

Only real problems iv had in 108k worth of miles is mod related.

LY V6 with Recaros
I find it more the customer service from Renault that is the problem, not the cars. I've had 2 Clios now, had no problems with the first one, and none so far with the V6. My boyfriend is now on his 3rd Clio and also had no problems.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
From folk i know, the Sport versions do seem to give less problems than the run of the mill versions.
This could be down to the different factory thing?

Lot of my mates used to s**g the French thing but soon shut up once they get their ar5e tanned good and proper. Totally owned my mate in his new Golf R32 and never seen anyone look as gutted and embarrased lol

Only real problems iv had in 108k worth of miles is mod related.

Cant see it tbh, 246bhp and four wheel drive.

He either cant drive or left the handbrake on, or both...:rolleyes:

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
i hear this all the itme fromthe sales men in the ford garage i work in, slating my C4, then i advise them that the engine and electrics in it are from a focus, well the other way about, a focus is essentially a 307/c4, and the duratorque engine is pretty much identical to the HDI engine as they were co-developed between psa and ford., but they still go well its built in france, as are focuses and fiestas ( but some come from germany and spain plants too).
But you get good cars and bad cars, through my work ive seen loads of other manufacturers, especially germans having failure, which arent small things like a battery but bmws needing half their engine looms replaced and minis needing a new pas pump ( was told by mini they are soo common they keep 5 pumps in stock at any one time and they are £600 parts),a vw had its rear suspension collapse as it came off the trailor and these were cars still with in warranty. and japanese cars, dont do small failures, when they go they go big and repair bills are huge.

s1 williams/106gti
118k on the williams and she's fine but i do love to excuse the 106gti when it breaks and friends say its a crap car ''BUT SHE'S FRENCH'' works everytime lol

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I say it a lot, but then, a lot goes wrong. But it's not the car to be fair, it's everything I touch :(

421 Cammed 172
This has to be the most overused phrase ever, it does my tits in. Far too many times have I seen a Clio or other French car being dismissed as "french" or "omgz it'll fall apart" when quite clearly the person has no clue, far too ignorant.

Corsa owner in peace here by the way, although I am looking for a 182 just now and should have one in the near future, but just about every thread/post I see on other forums about a Clio or similar French car it's always "it's French" which has to be one of the worst statements ever.

Especially when these statements come from Vauxhall Corsa owners, CV joints made of cheese anyone? :rasp:

Funny you say that, as we only had a slanging match with the Corsa C forum via Fast n modded radio the other night and they're comback was 'French = Crap'

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
When i rang my insurance to change my private plates over the other day the guy on the phone said " right i'm going to offer you roadside assistance and recovers seeing as it is a clio" cheeky feck.

421 Cammed 172
When i rang my insurance to change my private plates over the other day the guy on the phone said " right i'm going to offer you roadside assistance and recovers seeing as it is a clio" cheeky feck.

LOL, My insurance said that, My reply was, 'If thats your sales technique id go back to drawing board and i'll go to the RAC' Thankfully he saw the funny side considering i'd been in a queue for half an hour

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
My 182 gets used for road trips and trackdays, it gets dogs abuse. Some minor electrical issues when it was new but no mechanical problems....yet. Dealership problems I have had lots of :rasp:

My 12 year old pug 405 is on 115k and this thing is a tank, lots of electical issues but has never let me down mechanically. And it had no service history and was sitting on a farm full of water when I found it! It also gets fed vegetable oil, hasn't been to a fourcourt for nearly a year but the engine just keeps running!

I have to be honest, renaults are pretty good cars like for like, lord knows i've had enough.

Its probably a stigma from the old days when french cars were truly truly heinous things to be seen in and basically said to the world, i can't afford something better.

Nowadays its a lot better.....that said, boggo basic french cars are not exactly built to a tee

TBH it don't matter, I love french cars for all their wackyness but I abhor the French people and their nation. odd lol.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i had an 08 clio in 2day with a major oil leak from the cams it had done 1700miles, thats build quality.

Also had a 58plate koleos lit up like a crimbo tree that had done 76miles flol