ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITunes/Ipod Help Please!

FF cupped Arctic 182
The thing is my lap top is dead it won't stay on long enough before it crashes to get my itunes library off it and onto an external hard drive.

Thing is I've heard if you plug your Ipod into a new pc it will mirror the itunes on it - so therefore i'd end up losing all my music, is this true? and is there anyway around it?

I am a complete techno phobe, so laymans terms please ;)

Thanks in advance

Abi

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
hmm, i think it gives you the option to convert your music from your ipod on to the new PC. Plug it in and see what happens!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If you plug it into a PC that is already synced with another Ipod it WILL try to wipe your Ipod. Not too sure what happens if you plug it into a new pc though.

I highly doubt it would just wipe it. You would be prompted before it did anything to your ipod.

FF cupped Arctic 182
If you plug it into a PC that is already synced with another Ipod it WILL try to wipe your Ipod. Not too sure what happens if you plug it into a new pc though.

I highly doubt it would just wipe it. You would be prompted before it did anything to your ipod.

it was set up using a pc i am wanting to transfer to Mac that isnt synched with anything an then put onto an external hard drive. (the Mac isnt mine)

182 Sport
This is why Ipods are cr@p... :mad:
If you had a lets say Creative MP3 player then you could just plug and play with any PC Laptop anywhere!!
Sorry to be of no help... just having a rant about Ipods thats all ;)

?
If you had a lets say Creative MP3 player then you could just plug and play with any PC Laptop anywhere!!

Dont be an idiot. My ipod works exactly like that, ive set it up to manual update and it works on any computer in the world with itunes... no problems.

Ipods > creative :p .... you just have to know what your doing

FF cupped Arctic 182

I looked at creative when i bought ipod - i got persuaded into ipod because there were alot more gadgets to go with them at the time... now i feel trapped :rolleyes: LOL

FF cupped Arctic 182

Dont be an idiot. My ipod works exactly like that, ive set it up to manual update and it works on any computer in the world with itunes... no problems.

I'll have a look on my ipod settings - it is an old one though 20gb click wheel.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

it was set up using a pc i am wanting to transfer to Mac that isnt synched with anything an then put onto an external hard drive. (the Mac isnt mine)

You may have a problem then as your Ipod is formated according to the OS. Eg. windows itunes = fat32 Ipod... dont know if mac read fat32 ? i would assume they do ?

FF cupped Arctic 182
No it is totally screwed it starts up then crashes and makes a horrible noise.

try booting it in safe mode (hold F8 key while booting up..) worst case try "Last known good configuration" and see if that fixed your lappy..

It sounds like the fans arent working properly eg something's catching internally and then it seems to overheat and crash and burn if that makes sense.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

You may have a problem then as your Ipod is formated according to the OS. Eg. windows itunes = fat32 Ipod... dont know if mac read fat32 ? i would assume they do ?

A mac will read a windows formatted iPod no problem:

You can only format (i.e setup) a Mac format iPod on a mac, you can't format it to windows, so if you want a Windows format iPod you have to do the initial firmware update & format on a PC.

I'm not sure if this second one applies anymore, but in the past you could only update a windows format iPod on a PC, you could not do it on a Mac.

182 Sport
You still need the PC to have itunes on for it to work!! Creatives are just plug and play with windows!! :rasp:
Also you can't just use them as a external harddrive (i.e store any files programs etc on it) like you can with a Creative...

As I said before ipods are cr@p!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Install itunes on the new pc (or open it up if its already installed). Connect ipod, in the top window (where the apple logo sits) a message will appear, as quick as poss hit the x next to the message. You may lose one or two songs off your ipod. Then, in the ipod menu, select manually manage songs, sorted. In future, to get music onto your ipod, import cd into itunes, connect ipod and drag and drop music you want into ipod.

?
You still need the PC to have itunes on for it to work!! Creatives are just plug and play with windows!! :rasp:
Also you can't just use them as a external harddrive (i.e store any files programs etc on it) like you can with a Creative...

As I said before ipods are cr@p!

Yawn... u can use ipods as external hard drives in exactlythe same way. and itunes is good because it lets your edit album art / tags... whereas drag/drop does NOT.

Maybe sell your creative and save up for a proper mp3 player? :p