ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ive just bought a clio 1.2 campus 55reg and want to give it a new sound system

Clio 1.2 mk2
I just bought it the other day and it has just the basic system. I would like to get a new one to play my music but would not like to spend much. Also, i dont really know much about sound systems so i need some help. Should i buy 4 new speakers, a sub, an amp, new main cd player thing (as you can tell i dont know my stuff) i want to spend under £150 really so help please. Perhaps i could just my a sub and the main cd player or would i need new speakers and an amp?

many thanks

i bought a new headunit and a sub with a built in amp. sounds amazing.

i'm selling my sub with built in amp, pm me if interested!

Mk2 Clio dci
depends what you want really, quality or loudness/bass. For £150 though you'll struggle to get speakers, headunit ,sub and amp and wiring kit.
I'd just go for a decent-ish headunit and 4 upgraded speakers for now, then maybe add a sub/amp later.

BG V6, LY 182
I just bought it the other day and it has just the basic system. I would like to get a new one to play my music but would not like to spend much. Also, i dont really know much about sound systems so i need some help. Should i buy 4 new speakers, a sub, an amp, new main cd player thing (as you can tell i dont know my stuff) i want to spend under £150 really so help please. Perhaps i could just my a sub and the main cd player or would i need new speakers and an amp?

many thanks

if your statring out, best to get 2 6x9" for the parcel shelf.
then maybe an amp to power them.
then possibly a sub.

for your price range, you will be looking for 200-400w amp & 10" sub.

You should be able to do this for 150. Jus look on here for people selling.
ebay might be the best choice.
but if your going to get a sub and an amp, then you will need a 4 channel amp, iirc. i dont fully understand the channels need, all i know mines a 4 way and runs a sub and 2 6x9.

you might have to spen a lil more on a new cd player, as non standard ones are not so much suited to subs etc.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
alpine headunit running 4 alpine 13cm door speakers and tweeters, will sound sweet.

dont go gay with 6x9s on ur shelf

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Id say leave the speakers as they are for the moment.

get a new headunit and a sub and an 4 channel bridgeable amp. then when you have more money buy some component speakers for the front and run them off the amp too.

Clio 1.2 mk2
thanks for all the responses
im just wondering what does a new headunit do?
does it just make everything alot better than having the factory one?
and also
are cheap component speakers for like £20 really bad?
at the moment in my clio, there is only two speakers which are in the front..

RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
new head unit can give out more watts, and stuff.
makes it louder i guess.
as for the components, there prob not the best in the world, but as long as the RMS wattage of the components is not lower then the max wattage the head unit gives out they should sound ok.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
LOL^^^:lolup:

the headunit will give you rca pre-outs which you need to power an amplifier which will allow you to run a sub.

it may sound a little bit better with a new headunit and £20 components but it will still lack oomff and distort at mid-high volumes.

You should:
Buy a new headunit. must have rca pre-outs to be able to run an amplifier
Buy a sub, box, wiring kit and a 3-4 channel amplifier
Run the sub off 1 or two channels bridged together
Buy some components speakers when you have a bit more money and you can run them off the other two channels on the amp

Last edited:
  RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
well because thats what i heard,
and did you not read the "i guess"
clearly i dont no much.
i can admit that.
but you just showed how immature you are, to take the piss.
bravo

Ph1 172 + Combo van
well you could have said something like:

I think that is right but im not sure...

Then some one could have told you if it was correct or not.

The headunit will make minimal difference to the sound quality or the "loudness". The amplifier inside the headunit is pretty rubbish as you would assume when you see the size of normal external amplifiers.
The £20 components would also be pretty poor because of the materials and the way they are made to a budget. Decent speakers are made with better materials and should quite happily take more than thier rated max power, or rms;) as long as the signal is clean ie. not distorting.
An external amplifier will give a much cleaner better signal which is shown through the speaker. You could have the best components money can buy but they will only play the signal that is given to them. so if they are run from a headunit which has a made up figure such as 4x50w, then they will still sound rubbish.

If any of that is wrong i will happily accept criticism, i too don't know everything:rasp:

vaux cavalier

many thanks

Hi mate, welcome to the forum....

It would seem cash is tight, quite common at the moment....

I would recommend you take time to actually get out and listen to some systems in other peoples cars, this will give you a basic idea of what you actually desire....

Once you have decided on the type of sound/system you prefer, you should then do a little research and planning in accordance with what you actually want as an end product....

With a little planning and guidance you will definitely get the best value for money system in accordance to your budget, you will also avoid buying certain items twice, (buy wisely, buy once)....

Most, if not all newbie audio hooligans, start off with budgets in mind, little realising that within weeks, (sometimes days), you will want more....

The idea is to spend your initial budget wisely, so that in future you can simply ADD items to upgrade, rather than needing to REPLACE items which will cost you more money....

There's little point in entering the squabbles that seem to have broken out in previous responses, with audio it's all about compromise and what each individual wants/desires from his/her system....

So, to answer your main questions...."I've no idea what's best for you".....

Have a read of This Thread it covers a few basic points that you should find useful.

As mentioned, get out to local meets and I.C.E. outlets, ask lots of questions, listen to and demo as many different items as you can, this will give you a basic idea of what you want....

Once you've done this and have a few items in mind, post back here or on TA and request help/advice.....Doing this could save you a fair amount of cash....

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if i was in your shoes,
i would invest in a new headunit
(possilby used, can got alot better value for money)
the standard speakers in the car are by blaupunt,
so theyre not awful speakers to begin with, a nice headunit could make them sound nice,
(pioneer and clarion are renound for sound quality)
then if you want more, you can add a sub, then speakers,
rather than like wallop said, get a sub and headunit,
and within a year, replace them both for some higher quality
(the route i took)

however this is just my opinion, nobody knows whats right for you.

also, if your after quality,
forget watts, the only thing they should be used for is matching an amp to speaker,
dont think they bare much relevance to quality or loudness,
also, max watts is nothing but a figure to boast to other chavs at mcdonalds,
rms wattage is the only thing to look at,

if your really interested in getting some nice equiptment,
like wallop said again, get out there and listen to different speakers
or visit TA (www.talkaudio.co.uk)
just dont get 6x9s or a power cap lol

nb. a new headunit will give you more setting that can be used to make a more custom sound to your liking,
also will have more EQ settings so you can match your headunit to your speakers better, finally they will have RCA (phono) outputs to wire to separate amps.

hope this helps