ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking Up A 1.2 Clio Mk3 For A Beginner?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Recently I became the proud owner of a Mk3 Clio! I'm sorry its not strictly a renault sport model, but insurance holds me back on that! (Im 17 :() Who knows what the future holds though!

I'm very happy with the car, and am keen to start modifying it starting simple until my budget improves! First thing I want to do to it, is to paint the front calipers red and the back drums black rather than the horrible looking rust! Got all the paint and everything I need, and got given a 2 tonne trolley jack and axle stands.

I think I know how to go about jacking the car up? First gear and the handbrake on, then the jacking points is my problem.

This is where I believe the jacking points are:

25z46xy.jpg

2d2afwy.jpg

This is probably a very simple question for most of you so apologies for that! New to everything to do with cars but keen to make a good start with my clio :D

Thanks everyone!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
That's the jacking point. But please don't paint the calipers red. Go nice and clean with black

Will admit I have bought enough black paint to correct it afterwards when I probably realize it doesn't look great! Would still like to see how it looks though :)

Thanks for that, i'm going to use a trolley jack to jack the car up, so as this doesn't have the shape the Renault one does, what shall I do to avoid damaging the car?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Would it have to go into the groove at all or just sit generally around that area? (Novice at this!)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Put a block of wood over the jack, then place it like this over the jacking point:

--0--

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Ah okay thanks :) Sorry for being so new to this! Never had any experience with cars at all but got alot of plans for my clio and want to learn :) Out to the garage it is ;)!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Ah okay thanks :) Sorry for being so new to this! Never had any experience with cars at all but got alot of plans for my clio and want to learn :) Out to the garage it is ;)!

No worries dude, I was like you, I didn't know how/where to jack up. Make sure to get a trolley jack too and some axle stands. Would then jack up on the chassis rail as that's a really tough part of the car, the chassis. If you can't find it, just use your knuckles and knock under the car. You'll hear when you're on the stronger parts.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Got the trolley jack and the axle stands :) I just tried jacking the car up and it went well, felt quite sturdy. Where would you put the axle stands? If i'm jacking up with the jack point on the car pictured above?

I basically just want to give the wheel arches a good clean as they haven't been since the car was bought, then take the rust off the drum brakes and calipers and paint them, then fit the wheel back on

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Id guess the wheel would be off for half an hour at a time maybe? Off three times for three coats :)

Sorry double post just saw the edit button!