ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jason plato on fire

Why?

It's billed as a road car. Do you wear a helmet, gloves and nomex suit in your road car?

Jason even made that comment himself.

Top Gear have the car this week, wonder if Clarkson will be the next one to be baked lol

Flame grilled Stig anyone?

RB 182
Why?

It's billed as a road car. Do you wear a helmet, gloves and nomex suit in your road car?

Jason even made that comment himself.

Just thought with all the stuff that went on with Top Gear, would have thought healt and safety these days would class the car as dangerous for TV filming (open cockpit, rear engine with air intake right behind drivers head) despite it being a road car.

I'm not saying you would ware all the gear going to the shops, but like Jason said, its more of a track day car... at those speeds I would have thought safety gear would be standard issue and common sence.

Jason was asked if he could drive the car without racing gear and he said "sure, no problem"

Elise/VX220/R26
other than a helmet I would say before this happened nobody would think that fireproofs would be needed. Its a road car FFS!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Very true. A guy i work with has just taken delivery of a 2Eleven and all he used to take it out for its first spin was a pair of ski goggles!

williams and trophy
greed is a wonderful thing lol. not happy with his immense bttc wage. haha. the injury hampering his racing serves him right imo.

the car is a road car, lots of them are as open as this is, caterhams etc. do you see evryone driving them about with fireproofs etc.? no. and there was no need for them in this either, well, there wouldnt have been if the car had initially been tested properly, this happening after such a short time makes me wonder how much r&d has actually gone into something like this. how many times have the builders thrashed it round a track all day??

bet theres a nice big insurance payout there.

Elise/VX220/R26
come to think of it I've never seen anyone wear fireproofs at trackdays either so where did the issue of fireproofs even come up? lol

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
greed is a wonderful thing lol. not happy with his immense bttc wage. haha. the injury hampering his racing serves him right imo.

the car is a road car, lots of them are as open as this is, caterhams etc. do you see evryone driving them about with fireproofs etc.? no. and there was no need for them in this either, well, there wouldnt have been if the car had initially been tested properly, this happening after such a short time makes me wonder how much r&d has actually gone into something like this. how many times have the builders thrashed it round a track all day??

bet theres a nice big insurance payout there.

What a tosser you are,how can you say somebody getting burnt in a car is justified because he earns lots of money

I really thought better of you

williams and trophy
im not saying he deserved to get burnt mate. just that if he wasnt as greedy about money he wouldnt have been there in the 1st place.

i would have thought a race driver would be fully commited to his racing career tbh.

if he needs 2 jobs, then fair enough. but ppl like this dont do the the ppl who have actually spent time studying, gaining qualifications/experience in this occupation any favours does he, which in turn does us no favours as we are the ppl paying the taxes to put those ppl through their education. maybe i just see the bigger picture.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Why should he do you any favours? Don't really see the point you're trying to make, I'm sure Plato pays more taxes than you?

williams and trophy
did i ask him to do me any favours.........er NO.

did i say the fire was justified, and him being burnt justified....errrrrrr NO

if he hadnt have been there, and was concentrating on his racing career, he wouldnt have been there, it wouldnt have happened to him, and he may now be the BTCC Champion.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Oh and if i didnt go out and get a paper i would'nt get run over,and if i dont drive my car i wont crash it
WTF has paying tax got to do with someone loving there job,having a succesfull carreer and getting payed well for it

You are wrong to make comments like that and slightly deluded

williams and trophy
well i think your taking things to the extreme a little there lol.

and i think your completely missing my point.

ok, so i may have been a bit harsh on my initial comment, but i have no pity for the guy, he alone was the one who got into the car, he alone was the one to jeopordise this seasons standings.

paying tax has nothing to do with loving your job. again you seem to missing the point. how would you feel if you had spent XXX years building up experience and qualifications to do a job, then be scuppered by someone who has already got fantastic job, lots of money, no experience in the job youv spent years learning, no qualifications etc, but he happens to be famous. wouldnt be very nice. not to mention all the taxpayers money being wasted on educating these people that have just been knocked back for the job. its not about how much tax plato pays, its about how much hes actually cost the general public in the long term.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
ok, so i may have been a bit harsh on my initial comment,

At least you admit that much,That was all i was commenting on,no nead really

He's a good driver and is ok to watch on tv as for the rest of the comments

Dont you wished you tried harder in school

williams and trophy
no mate i dont actually lol. i couldnt wait to see the back of school, almost as much as they couldnt wait to see the back of me, hence going from mathematical genius at age 12, passing a levels sitting in for lectures at royal institution, attending leeds uni, a lad from yorks ffs ;) etc to working in a garage for the last 2 years of my school life lol.

i chose what i wanted to do, not what i thought i could make most money from.

im happy with my life, a bit more money would be nice, but thats not essential to enjoy yourself ;)

Harsh as f**k, to be honest, nobody deserves what he went through (the injuries are truely nasty). How do you know that job is motivated by money anyway? I imagine anyone who loves driving would jump at the chance of having a Top Gear style role, driving the best new cars etc.

The fact that he is earning a living outside of his racing career is entirely irrelevant, the vast majority of sportsmen have a second income, be it promotional work etc.

but do they jeopordise their main career by doing th promo work...not likely.

Why is driving a road car in an almost excessively safe environment any more or less dangerous than any other activity that somebody might get up to? It was a freak incident that should not have happened, nothing more. Certainly not worth laughing at -as you did- anyway.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
i don't understand why he did'nt put his nomex overalls on, as he said himself it is a racing car for the road.
when he gets in his touring car doing testing he i would'nt have thought he wears jeans etc, and he is travelling a hell of a lot faster in this, and as it was a prototype he should have assumed anything could happen (as it did) it's not like testing a prototype focus is it?

i don't understand why he did'nt put his nomex overalls on, as he said himself it is a racing car for the road.
when he gets in his touring car doing testing he i would'nt have thought he wears jeans etc, and he is travelling a hell of a lot faster in this, and as it was a prototype he should have assumed anything could happen (as it did) it's not like testing a prototype focus is it?

A touring car isn't road legal, the Caparo can be purchased with SVA approval and therefore would be perfectly legal to drive on the road in anything you choose to wear, not unlike a Caterham, Atom etc. I'm not sure if deliveries have started, but had this not happened you or I (with appropriate funds) could have been driving this on the road soon, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be wearing a fireproof suit.

I was also under the impression there were at least 3 or 4 of these in use now (I took pictures of one earlier this year and it wasn't the one he was driving), despite VBH suggesting this was a prototype I wonder if this was a bit of damage control, reviews/first drives were coming thick and fast and it would be odd if they were not in virtually final-spec cars.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
ukaskew I do agree with what you are saying about it being perfectly legal to drive in whatever you want but he was on a race track and pushing the car hard and it could have crashed and burst into flames so he should have been prepared imo
also World Rally Cars are perfectly legal to use on the road but how many of the drivers do you see without their overalls on and they have built in fire extinguishers?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Hardly a comparison of normal working life and having two jobs is it.I cant think of a more dangerous occupation where you are at risk all of the time

williams and trophy
fireman, scaffolder, oil rig worker, deep sea welder, deep sea fisherman etc etc etc.

the list of jobs more dangerous than driving a car goes on.

and on

and on

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ok ,so youve listed some of the other most dangerous jobs in the world.

Well done,have an apple