ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JB3 leaking input shaft

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
That's the bearing and seal ordered up,should hopefully be able to pick it up Tuesday and drop it off to Rentec and get them to press the old one out and new one in!

Also going to order up some 518 loctite as well for sealing the casing back together.

Cheers for your help so far lads [emoji106]

172 Ph1
That's the bearing and seal ordered up,should hopefully be able to pick it up Tuesday and drop it off to Rentec and get them to press the old one out and new one in!

Also going to order up some 518 loctite as well for sealing the casing back together.

Cheers for your help so far lads [emoji106]

Your more than welcome . That's what this site and any other is all about . Good honest friendly advise . [emoji106]
Sounds good to me [emoji2]

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Got the box back from Rentec with the new bearing pressed in. They said it was a bit of a pain as it was really tight but it's in so the rebuild can start! Just a few question first though!!

Where do all these go? Haha
f19dd99fe4fef0026314ba6d9587971b.jpg

I know that 2 of the springs and bearings go on the outside of the casing and the 3rd one goes behind the wee metal bit on the reverse shaft!

Where do all the pins go?

Been a while since I took it apart so I have forgotten! Haha

@barnesautos

Last edited:

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Well I worked it out!

Checked the manual and got this diagram but that didn't make it very clear which one was which.
Capture_zps2b47f468.jpg

So found this image online. Have highlighted the pin going through the middle which confirms that the long pin goes between reverse shaft and 1 - 2
selector rod and the two little stubby pins go on the selector rods highlighted where the number 8 on the diagram points to 2 locations!

1_007_zpsdbcc0f93.jpg

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
So are you cool with where everything goes now ?
Have you been rebuilding it today ?

Yea I've got all the shafts back in place

549f6a44cda3d899dc2f16b4a5f1bb82.jpg

But I managed to drop one of these little f*****s onto the floor of the garage. I literally watched it hit the floor, put the piece I was holding onto the bench and in the mean time it vanished. Spent 1 hour looking for it but couldn't find it! Will have another look tomorrow after work. So frustrating!!

dbabf6bbefba0d1a4187914736f3ef8a.jpg

Last edited:
  172 Ph1
If the box is built up to where it is - I'm afraid to say that , that piece in your hand goes in between the two shafts .
You'll need to pull em out again if that bit is not there .

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Nah it's ok it goes in here!

bdbde8a46d686b5fafbf4cb9b782b675.jpg

I've got all the wee pins in that go in the casing/between the shafts. I just need to find that little pin to put back in before I can put the selector fork back on.

Once I find this bit and put it back in then everything is on place and it's just the casing that needs to go back on!

Is there a specific procedure for putting the casing back on?

172 Ph1
Beg your pardon - that's right . My bad .

I guess one tip you didn't follow was the magnet .
Things don't get lost if you have one to hand to hold all the bits and bobs .
You've done well so far [emoji106]

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I did use a magnet for the de-tent balls thankfully! This just dropped out when I wasn't expecting it! I have another broken gearbox I can open up and steal that piece from if I have to. But it should be on the garage floor, going to have a proper look tonight!

172 Ph1
Well its officially been swallowed by the garage floor! Had 7 people looking for it, everything in the garage moved and nothing!
A76CC45B-0185-433D-9DF8-1CF7694990AF_zpswhbczzce.jpg

So if anyone has a broken open gearbox and wants to donate me one of these puppies it would be much appreciated!

I'm sure I have one or two floating in the old tool box .
I'll try and get over to the lock up tomorrow .

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Well its officially been swallowed by the garage floor! Had 7 people looking for it, everything in the garage moved and nothing!

So if anyone has a broken open gearbox and wants to donate me one of these puppies it would be much appreciated!

tape a speaker magnet onto a pole (golf club or something like) and use it like a metal detector close to the ground. if its there it will pic it up. make sure you get close to the corners / edges.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure I have one or two floating in the old tool box .
I'll try and get over to the lock up tomorrow .
I managed to get one of those wee roller nubbins things so that's back where it should be.

I'm struggling to get the cover back on though. Any tips as to where/what order the selector/shafts need to go back together?

was hoping to get it back together tonight so I could get it back into the car tomorrow and drive it home from the unit as the MOT runs out tomorrow!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
@barnesautos I think I'm making progress! I managed to get the casing back on and I'm able to push the selector through its full range on neutral. Does that sound about right?

Should I just tighten all the casing bolts then put 5th gear back on the top and it should be ok to put back into the car?

172 Ph1
Can you select all gears ?

Reverse ?
All forward gears ?

Only once you can , would I tighten up the casing .

With regards to 5th gear , you'll see the selector rod move downwards - hence selecting 5th imaginary as it's not been fitted .

Clio 1.2 16v
See that plastic bit at 12 o'clock in the pic . DO NOT BREAK THAT . That is 5th gear oil feed and if broken will need to be replaced or 5th gear will seize up and box with stop .View attachment 114548
See the shaft at 5-6 o'clock that's 5th gear shaft , after selecting reverse , just pop 5th downwards and hey presto two gears will be engaged . Undo the bolts in the other pic which contains the fork for 5th gear. Deselect the gears is a must at this point .
Ok so now the tricky part . Removing the 5th gear . This can be very hard and extremely delicate .
What we used to do back in the day was use a rubber mallet and welt the top of the 5th gear shaft with the bold screwed into it again without the washer . Some will highly disapprove at this point and say oh no you've got to use a special tool . That's the correct way yes - but my way I've been doing for ever and a day works for me .
No damage has ever occurred to any gearbox
I've repaired in the past and I did my 172 box this way with no issues .
Hope it is ok to resurrect this old thread.
I have the same problem where oil is leaking from the input shaft on my JB1 gearbox.
Since it seems like there is no one in my town that can change thrust pad guide tube, not even the official Renault reseller, I have bought a used gearbox that I will put in the car I next couple of days.
It would however be interesting to split the old one and see if I can fix it.
I have removed the cover for fifth gear, put the box in reverse and fifth at the same time and removed the bolts on the 5th and output shaft.
What I'm interested in here is "What we used to do back in the day was use a rubber mallet and welt the top of the 5th gear shaft with the bold screwed into it again without the washer"
Is it enough then to put the bolt back on to the 5th and thread it on until its level with the top on the shaft and then whack it with the rubber mallet?