ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jc5 130 gearbox advice

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Gents need some advice.

I bought a clio 172 with no gearbox as part of an on going rally car project.
Basically me and my brother are gonna have a go at the sport on a budget.
Cars undergone a full rebuild, including Perspex windows, mark fish x door bar roll cage, 172 engine refresh, and now hunting down a gearbox for it.

Basically not to sure what gearbox I need and a bit unsure what connectors are on my loom.
Are all jc5 130 boxes the same???
Guessing mine is speedo driven hence the jc5 130 question.

Many thanks

JC5 089 - Ph1 172 Longer final drive and speedo drive

JC5 129 - Ph2 172 Speedo drive

JC5 130 - 182 and some late Ph2 172's Mechanically the same as 129 but no speedo drive

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
Oh right then so I actually need a 172 JC5 129 then??
Wasn't aware of that.
Thought I actually needed a jc5 130

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
If you can get a speedo drive box but add a diff from a 130, as these have the bolt in diff, not circlips which are known to pop if you have a heavy right foot. So if used for rallying, especially on a loose surface, the 129 circlip may not last long.

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
If you can get a speedo drive box but add a diff from a 130, as these have the bolt in diff, not circlips which are known to pop if you have a heavy right foot. So if used for rallying, especially on a loose surface, the 129 circlip may not last long.
Many thanks for that mate. I have done a bit of research and future down the line i will buy a more purpose full diff such as gripper. But for now I will probably look into what your suggesting