ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JC5 Dog Box

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Evening folks! Hope you’re all ready for Santa to deliver you some pressies!

There’s potential that in 2022 I will need someone who races a mk2 Clio to be a Guinea pig and run a dog box in a kind of development role. The box will be supplied by me and would be ready to fit and try to see if any issues/failures arise.

This is something that will be done with my own money - so it’s quite a large investment, as I’m sure you’ll appreciate.

In return, I should be able to offer a dog box gear kit at a reduced price.

Merry Christmas 🎄

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Also only a track dayer as you well know but I don’t hang about either. Glad to see you pushing forward with it pal. Let me know if I can help.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Here’s part of the Jc5 dog box kit. You can clearly see the dog engagement teeth here. There’s a lot of work needed though still. I'm wanting to do away with the brass selector forks as well, so this all needs to be added into a redesign.
516E6EBC-213B-4018-A74F-2F9EFFBC6982.jpeg
2A00593C-8D3F-4773-97D8-54829EB07E18.jpeg

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
It’s difficult to say mate. The ratios also won’t suit a boost motor, but I am wanting to have it setup to work with a oe final drive should people wish.
Ok. Alex will be building me another track car later this year that will be NA so can try one in that if you want

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I've got my 182 Trackcar. I'm not racing so its no bother if there are issues that need addressing or the car has to sit around for any length of time. Can easily be trailered anywhere.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right, now things are starting to get more back to normal after covid, this dog box kit could well be back in the offings.

I’ve spoken to a machine shop that’s happy to do the machining - they’re UK based and extremely good at what they do. They also have experience in this area, so that will prove invaluable.

I’ve still got a few things to iron out with them (cost and whether we change from straight cut to helical gears mainly) but we are both on the same page. The consideration to change to helical gears allows the use of any available final drives, and helical gear teeth are also stronger (to some extent) as there’s more of the gear tooth in contact at any particular time. Straight cut is strong, but it allows for less frictional losses - therefore more power is transmitted to the wheels.

For this to realistically work out, I’d need a minimum of 5 people who are prepared to put their money where their mouth is and stump up a 50% deposit. I’ll be the one paying out for the first production version and building it into a box.

Obviously no one will be held to gun point if the total outlay is too expensive and you wish to back out - I get it.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys. Really what I want to have machined are torsion bars. I spoke to someone the other day who was very experienced but he wouldn't tell me the alloy steel used, I think he worked for gov/military..

IMG_1006.JPG

Right, now things are starting to get more back to normal after covid, this dog box kit could well be back in the offings.

I’ve spoken to a machine shop that’s happy to do the machining - they’re UK based and extremely good at what they do. They also have experience in this area, so that will prove invaluable.

I’ve still got a few things to iron out with them (cost and whether we change from straight cut to helical gears mainly) but we are both on the same page. The consideration to change to helical gears allows the use of any available final drives, and helical gear teeth are also stronger (to some extent) as there’s more of the gear tooth in contact at any particular time. Straight cut is strong, but it allows for less frictional losses - therefore more power is transmitted to the wheels.

For this to realistically work out, I’d need a minimum of 5 people who are prepared to put their money where their mouth is and stump up a 50% deposit. I’ll be the one paying out for the first production version and building it into a box.

Obviously no one will be held to gun point if the total outlay is too expensive and you wish to back out - I get it.
What kind of price are we looking at?

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
No worries!!

Im building a metrology station for rack/column testing and have kinda spent a bit much and have more to buy so Ill be going about this over the next couple months :LOL: Hopefully santa didnt see what I did the other day on the road...

Should have em send out to you next week though...